Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Fairbanks morse picture(s)

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 3718 times

Old 04-30-2005, 01:09:04 AM
Sky

Default Re: Fairbanks morse picture(s)

i must not be looking in the right places cuz i cant find anything on wireing diagrams and how to wire a throttler to a buzz coil,...boy i hope i dont have to go swapping parts or i guess i'll have to buy a mag.
could somebody tell me what you have to do to hook up a buzz coil to my engine so i can stop worrying and all about things.
im willing to modify stuff a little but as far as swapping parts.........i dunno.....
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2005, 10:34:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts
Exclamation Re: Fairbanks morse picture(s)

Skylar:

First, make sure you have all the parts for the governor and it is assembled correctly. Otherwise, the engine will overspeed unless you manually control the throttle.

TIMING YOUR ENGINE:
With that done, you can use a buzz coil if you find a place to time it from. You could time it from the crankshaft or the flywheel if you want. It would fire at every revolution like small engines like Briggs, etc. do. I call this the "fire once, waste once" system.

To do this, rig an insulated wire so that, when the piston is at the top of the cylinder (closest to the head), the bare end of this wire just starts to touch some part of the crankshaft like the crank throw or the flywheel key. This will ground the coil and make it fire.

I'll get into the specific wiring later.

If you want your engine to fire only on the compression stroke (every second revolution), you have to time it off of the cam gear.

Again, set the piston at top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke. To find this, remove the spark plug and put your thumb over the hole. Turn the engine in it's regular direction until you feel a definite positive pressure on your thumb. Now, continue to turn the engine 'til the piston is closest to the head.

Look for a handy projection on the timing gear you can have your insulated wire touch at this position of the piston. If you can't find one, make one by either removing the gear and drilling and tapping it for a small machine screw to act as a contact or you can wrap a piece of copper wire around a spoke of the gear with a projection at the right place.

CONNECTIONS:
The coil is connected with the button on the end (opposite the buzzer) going to the positive terminal of the battery. The front button on top (closest to the buzzer) goes to the wire that is grounded at TDC and the top button at the back goes to the spark plug. The negative terminal of the battery makes a secure connection to the engine block.

STARTING THE ENGINE THE FIRST TIME:
To be safe, recheck the timing with the battery connected and the spark plug wire grounded to the engine block. The coil should buzz when the bare end of the insulated (timing) wire touches the grounding contact on either the crankshaft or timing gear. This should occur right at TDC or slightly after. The coil only needs to fire briefly as the flywheel turns.

Now, when you're sure that you've got it timed correctly, connect the plug wire to the plug. Just to make sure you don't get hurt, with the ignition off, hold your hand over the air intake of the mixer and turn the engine a couple of turns 'til gas drips out of the air inlet.

Turn on the ignition.

Now, hold the intake valve open and crank the engine. When it gets going good, turn loose of the crank THEN let go of the intake valve. If all's well, it'll bark right off. If it's timed wrong and backfires, your hand won't be in the way of the crank handle.

If it doesn't run at all, check for all of the usual suspects: -bad plug -no gas -timing wrong - no compression. Don't be concerned if it spits back through the mixer while cranking with the intake valve open.

After you've got it running, you can move the timing one way or the other 'til it suits you.

Be careful and have fun!

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 04-30-2005, 02:41:21 PM
Sky

Thanks Elden!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:57:43 PM
Registered-III

Skyler. There is an easy way to tell if the engine is throttled or hit and miss. Just look at the mixer, If it has two needle valves and a small chamber for gas on one side and a gas line into the mixer from the tank it is throttled always. If there is NO needle valve on the mixer it is Hit and miss, and fuel is controled by adjusting the choke plate. The hit and miss was also made as a three horse with spoked flywheels and a no needle valve mixer. I hope this will help in the future in identifing the different Z engines. Good luck in a good hobby, Joe Morris
Old 04-30-2005, 06:54:14 PM
Registered-III

Skylar..Nice catch!...here is the link to Harrys ignition page...it will help you figure out how to hook up your buzz coil
Mark Congden
http://www.old-engine.com/magneto.htm
Old 05-01-2005, 08:35:45 AM
Registered-III

Skyler. There is a very simple way to tell the difference between a Z throttled and a Z hit and miss. The throttled engines have two needle valves and the hit and miss have NO needle valves and fuel is controlled by the choke plate, they were made in a 1.5 and a 3 H P. The 3 has spoked flywheels. Good luck in a good hobby. Joe Morris
Old 05-01-2005, 07:07:16 PM
Sky

HI guys!

Will a 6 horse fairbanks governor for a hit&miss fit on a 2 horse fairbanks dishpan? i dont think mines a hitnmiss but could i modify some stuff if it wouldn't fit the first time? and what would be the things i'd have to modify?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:10:29 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar King
Will a 6 horse fairbanks governor for a hit&miss fit on a 2 horse fairbanks dishpan?
I don't think it will, but someone else can probably give a definite answer. As for spark timing, if you have a spur gear(straight cut) on the crankshaft you can use the cam gear off of a spoked flywheel 1 1/2hp Z. I will have a pin and roller on it to trip the AB-33 mag. This makes a convenient point to set up a wiper to time your spark. Off the top of my head, I think you want the roller to contact the timer at about 8:00 to be near TDC.