Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

IH Famous question

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1270 times

Old 04-25-2005, 12:06:11 PM
Chris Curtis

Default IH Famous question

I have a 2 Hp vertical Famous that runs like a champ. Occasionally when I start it, I get too aggressive with the choke and flood the thing. Shortly after that it feels like there is excessive drag when I turn it over. My explanation is that the extra fuel washed away the oil from the rings and If I turn my oiler way up and spin it by hand a few times it loosens up. My question is: Is this normal with a vertical engine or do I have something wrong? I also considered running some Stihl 2 cycle oil with the gas to give it some extra lube plus the oil has a gas preservative in it which I need anyway. Would that help things out or just gum up my ignitor? Once this thing is running and adjusted right it will go all day without a problem and run on just about anything I dump in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2005, 07:51:57 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: IH Famous question

Chris - I have 5 of these IHC Uprights and all will give problems like you have described. I take out the ignitor and shoot oil right down on top of the piston and run the flywheels around a time or two and this will oil up the walls again. She should start right up!!! These Upright`s tend to flood easy and wash the cylinder walls. Never tryed the 2-cycle fuel trick??!! Let us know how it works out! Best of IHC Luck!! Shane Ball