Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

1 HP New Way Question

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1173 times

Old 04-28-2005, 09:02:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default 1 HP New Way Question

Picked up a small New Way horizontal yesterday, 1 or 1 1/2 hp? It has 15" dia. flywheels. Ser. # Z51247. It takes a 4-bolt rotary magneto of some type. Mag mounting bolt holes are 1 7/8" x 3 1/2" and bracket includes a gear driven off cam gear. I'm missing the mag gear & mag. Any ideas what I should be looking for? Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_0856 (Small).JPG   DCP_0855 (Small).JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2005, 11:03:47 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: 1 HP New Way Question

You have the 1 hp little giant. I will have to look tomorrow to see what the mag is that I have on mine. New Ways used either a Bosch or National mag but mostly Bosch. The mag I have on my 1 hp is not the orginal mag but one that turns opposite of the flywheel and all I had to do was to make a thin mounting plate that would bolt up to the holes. You also need a grease cup to put on the idle gear shaft. The gear you need for the mag will have the same number of teeth as the one on the crank shaft. All you need to do is to take the idle gear to a place that sell gears and they can get the right one for you. They will match up the size of the teeth to the idle gear and then you tell them how many teeth the gear you need has and it can be ordered. I put all new gears on mine when I got it as 2 of them were missing, the cam gear was busted up pretty bad and the crank gear was worn out. I can give you the size of the tin work if you need it and a picture of what the decal looks like. If you could take a good picture of the gear train cover and send it to me I could try to make one as I am missing that part. Looking in my manual for the little giant engine it shows that orginal factory mag was either a National High Tension or Bosch High Tension. No part numbers are given though. Shipping weight with either mag was 206 pounds.

Tim Christoff
Old 04-30-2005, 12:03:07 AM
Registered-III

Doug, the mag that I have on my 6 hp horziontal will fit on my little giant and it is a Bosch with "BAI ED3V2" stamped on it. The mag I am using on my little giant is a Bosch and it is stamped with "FFIRS S2 FMT 1162" These are the only identifacation on the mag's that I can find other than where they were made and by who. The second mag appears to be set up to run either way as there is a lever on the side of the points area that can be flipped and it moves the points around enough to allow it to turn the opposite direction. Never even really looked at it before today. Also has a tag showing the direction of the mag with the lever in either position.

Tim Christoff.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:24:01 AM
Subscriber

Tim,
Emailed you photos & dimensions of gear shield cover to address I had yesterday A.M. It did not bounce. Receive them?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:19:44 AM
Registered-III

Hi Doug, no the email never came through. Did you send them to: tchristoff@earthlink.net. I looked through my email file of deleted and blocked emails and there was no sign of it. Try to send it again.

Tim Christoff
Old 05-02-2005, 02:31:14 PM
Subscriber

Tim,
Re-sent two emails 4/30.