Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

4 hp Ottawa hit and miss

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1484 times

Old 04-29-2005, 07:48:00 PM
Subscriber

Default 4 hp Ottawa hit and miss

Need pictures and help with Ottawa 4hp with kerosene carb or mixer. This mixer appears to be an overflow type with a heat exchanger on it. We think the engine is 1919 or earlier. It has three bolts holding the base and cylinder together. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2005, 09:38:55 PM
In Memory Of Helen

Question Re: 4 hp Ottawa hit and miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gruel
Need pictures and help with Ottawa 4hp with kerosene carb or mixer. This mixer appears to be an overflow type with a heat exchanger on it. We think the engine is 1919 or earlier. It has three bolts holding the base and cylinder together. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Do you have a serial number with a alpha prefix? How is the base shaped, rectangular or footed base on the front? Are you saying that the mixer is on the side with the exhaust flowing through baffles in a heater? Does it have a fuel piston pump on the magneto side of the engine? When you say overflow, do you mean that the excess fuel flows back into the fuel tank?

Helen
Old 04-29-2005, 11:31:33 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 4 hp Ottawa hit and miss

I would call the base rectangular. The exhaust would go through round pipe like baffles . We have no fuel pump and are not sure where it would mount. Unused fuel would go back to the fuel tank. There is a fitting on the water hopper to inject water to the mixer and there is also a canister looking appliance of I think cast iron on top oe the mixer. The bottom of the mixer is a small tank and all this is cast. This mixer resembles part of the mixer that was on a engine you posted some time ago. This engine actually belongs to a friend and if need be I could get pictures next Monday. I would have to send them to your email as I don't know how to post a picture on the stak. Thank you very much for the responce. Gary
Old 04-30-2005, 12:02:53 AM
In Memory Of Helen

Arrow Re: 4 hp Ottawa hit and miss

Quote:
I would call the base rectangular. The exhaust would go through round pipe like baffles . We have no fuel pump and are not sure where it would mount. Unused fuel would go back to the fuel tank. There is a fitting on the water hopper to inject water to the mixer and there is also a canister looking appliance of I think cast iron on top oe the mixer. The bottom of the mixer is a small tank and all this is cast. Gary
Gary,

The engine, because it has a vacuum pump instead of the piston fuel pump, is probably earlier than 1919. But not old enough to be a "footed base" engine.

Sounds like it has the base like our 5HP(F18179),and water hopper like the 4HP(E16348) and vacuum pump on the top of the mixer and heater as shown on 2HP(B11127). I think you can see the piston pump on the 5HP(F18179) but the "canister" of which you speak sounds like this engine has a vacuum pump. Also the water injection can be seen on the 2HP.

Pictures can be seen at:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=1751540&f=0

You can contact us by sending email message via SmokStak....Helen
Old 04-30-2005, 01:07:48 AM
Subscriber

Helen, thank you very much for the pictures. The carb. on your 2 hp is what we are working with. It makes more sence to me now and I know the owner will be pleased to see how it should be installed. Would you think this carb came on a 4 hp and do you know of any parts for this mixer such as the cross over on the front? About the only thing in the vacum pump is a venturi tube. Is that about all there should be other than the valve? We will probably have more questions but for now thank you very much for all the help.
Gary
Old 04-30-2005, 10:21:46 AM
In Memory Of Helen

Arrow Re: 4 hp Ottawa hit and miss

Quote:
Would you think this carb came on a 4 hp and do you know of any parts for this mixer such as the cross over on the front? About the only thing in the vacum pump is a venturi tube. Is that about all there should be other than the valve? We will probably have more questions but for now thank you very much for all the help.
Gary
Don't understand "crossover on the front"! There is a 5HP in IL with that vacuum pump but it is a footed base. If you look at the pictures on Epson, the first picture under Ottawa Mixers is a cutaway of the mixer and vacuum pump. The actual heater was never as shown in literature...Helen
Old 04-30-2005, 11:13:54 PM
Subscriber

Helen, what I am calling the cross over is the appliance that lets the warm air from the heater go into the intake. I will get the other information for you on Monday and pass it along. I may be wrong about the base on this engine but we will see. By the way all those engines are beautiful. Thanks Gary.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:18:31 AM
In Memory Of Helen

Quote:
Helen, what I am calling the cross over is the appliance that lets the warm air from the heater go into the intake. I will get the other information for you on Monday and pass it along. I may be wrong about the base on this engine but we will see. By the way all those engines are beautiful. Thanks Gary.
Thank you! We refer to that as the heater cover. Will have to check on the correct name for it. You are correct on its purpose. I think that part has been recast. ..Helen