Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

What type of engine is this, and est. $ ?

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 4302 times

Old 05-20-2005, 08:31:53 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: What type of engine is this, and est. $ ?

Before you start stripping down that old Galloway clean it up good with soap and water and then oil it all down. The original paint may come back to life somewhat. A nice running engine in its original finish is nicer than a restored one in my opinion. Remember you can always paint it if you don't like it, but you can't go back to the weathered original look after you have painted it.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2005, 10:24:08 AM
Subscriber

My experience with pictures: you never have a picture showing the one piece you really can't figure out!

Digital cameras are great because you can take LOTS of pictures and have them right away. There was nothing like getting ready to put an engine or piece of equipment back together and remembering you hadn't had the film developed yet.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:12:44 PM
Registered-II

Arrow Re: What type of engine is this, and est. $ ?

Well guys, I feel as though I am a very fortunate collector at this point.
If you are interested, here is the situation report and some photos.

When I got there I initially helped my buddy get his old 1921 Model T "Center Door" Coupe unstuck from the 14-16 inches of mud / clay that it was in. After seeing the condition of the demountable rims after being "unstuck" I was quite concerned about the cart or "truck" wheels under my Galloway.

Well as you all may be able to guess the cast iron cart wheels held up much better than the Model T rims... We spent about 4 hours on the T, propping up the collapsed roof of the barn, prying up the front end, then the rear end, and changing wheels, just so we could get it mobile. There was a local farmer who lent a helpful hand with his two sons, and a tractor. (We may still be there if it weren't for him! Just in our group we had five, including my father. It was quite a fun adventure, even though it rained all day!

Anyway I climbed over to the old beast, and as many had guessed earlier, it is a Galloway. (6 HP) I also found the muffler thrown not to far away. The original "battery box" was hidden under the old pulley belt. The cart, as you will see, came out just fine, except that the wheels wouldn't turn... Even after dragging it for 150 meters and plenty of oil, they never broke free.

All the parts seem to be there and in working order. I have squirted much oil and grease all over it, and the “oiler” works "as advertised", keeping the piston and cylinder nice and lubricated.

These are my concerns early on:

1. The valve handle broke off of the brass valve located at the very bottom of the piston housing (up front near the fuel and air intakes. I am now searching for the small piece, which fell in the gravel, and a possible replacement - as soldering may not suffice (strength reasons), even if I do find the little brass bugger. How difficult is an identical replacement to find? & how much $ ?

2. The original gas tank had the cap stuck on very tight. I tried just about everything and had to resort to a pair of pliers to get it off. It is slightly deformed, and I am considering finding something with a more substantial threading layer to "affix" to the top of the original gas tank as a usable substitute. My question is, should I just get a different gas can all together, with a nice usable cap, and therefore not “ruin” the original any further? OR – put a new cap and thread system on the old can? I must say, it looks as though the old farmer may have already soldered a replacement cap on long ago, unless the originals were soldered on too.?? Any suggestions?

3. Did the “factory truck” come with a factory tongue or is the tongue a “hand made” / home made type item? There was an old tongue near by, which could be an original part? or just a part the old farmer built. I would like an opinion on the tongue from any of you. I will have to get some photos of it. It is extremely long, about 12 feet, possibly for horses to hitch up to?

4. The fuel line seems quite cruddy. (I took the fittings off, and removed the line) My father suggested replacing the steel pipe with a copper one. How “horrible” would that be - to the originality of the engine. I think it would look nice and shiny, but I also appreciate “all things original” or at least as original as possible. (as with the fuel tank) Adding a new line could also possibly prevent fuel contamination problems. I am leaning toward copper, and storage of the original in a sage place, in case I want to change it back.

5. The original placard has the number 17517 on it. From the brief research I have done, that puts the engine right around 1911. Am I right? Am I even close?

6. Due to the “frozen” wheels, and having the axles stuck in the mud for the past 60-70 years, the only way we were able to get the wheels off, was to take a band saw to the old axles, and slide them off. We took a torch to the inside of each wheel, bent the tube inward on itself, and punched the scrap though. We accurately measured the axles prior to cutting and all looks well. To be honest, because of a little existing rust on the old pipe, I can not even tell that the axles are new, and the only difference is that now the wheels actually rotate… However they are not original, and I just wanted to get your opinion on that as well. I felt compelled to attain mobility first and foremost, so I can move the old beast around without a bobcat or tractor. Now it glides smoothly

7. How much would a cement mixer attachment go for? (See the one in the photo with the battery box.). I am tempted to get back there and purchase it as well.

8. I also left the original pulley belt behind. There were two of them coiled up on top of the shaft in the original photo I submitted. How historically important would that be to have / keep. They were in pretty rough shape from what I could tell, but I haven’t heard of a price on a new replacement one either. I haven’t seen any for sale though? Are they hard to come by. If so, I will go back and get them.

9. The water hopper is full of leaves and junk. Is a vacuum cleaner the best way to go, or flush it all through? Did they ever make a cover for that?

The restoration plan at this point will only go so far as to get the engine cleaned up, well lubricated, and running. I do not plan on painting anything. I am excited to hear it running, and for now, that is as far as I can see.

Thanks for your responses and suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00512.JPE  
Old 05-23-2005, 06:16:09 PM
Registered-II

Enjoy, and please assist with the "9" questions / concerns. Thanks again, and I am looking fwd to hearing from you!

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00531.JPE  
Old 05-23-2005, 07:02:26 PM
Administrator

Thanked 9,045 Times in 1,488 Posts

TAKE YOUR TIME! It sat there for many years so don't expect to get it running in a day!

Go to Walmart or NAPA and buy yourself six aerosol cans of PB-Blaster solvent and SOAK it! Soak it! Relax and SOAK it again. With PB-Blaster, you may not have needed the pliers on the tank cap.

Don't get in a hurry and do things you'll regret later. Take a slow, careful, but determined approach. You'll end up with a nice engine.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:05:28 PM
Subscriber

Greg,
Great find, I will try to address some of your questions, in my opinion.
1. The "drain cock" underneath the cylinder that broke off is easy to replace and about a $5 item.
2. I would recommend you find a sheet metal guy to repair/solder your original gas tank and clean it out good. Also, might consider getting some tank sealer for it. Original tanks are nice to have for your engine.
3. Original tongue would be worth getting and saving.Even if you had to replace the wood, you would have a pattern to copy.
4. I would consider replacing the fuel line with new iron pipes. Be sure to save the old round bead elbows, they are nice to have and hard to find. Do not use copper tubing, kind of tacky.
5.1911-1912 sounds about right for the year.
6. Replacing the axels does not detract from the value in my opinion.
7. Cement mixer without an engine is not too valuable. $50-$100 should be a fair value, again in my opinion.
8. Old belts ar OK if they are sound but you should be able to find a replacement belt maybe on Ebay.
9. Clean out the water hopper anyway you can. Remove the drain plug and stick a water hose in the drain hole and try to wash out most of the stuff.
Use a piece of wire to drag out what you can. Just need to work at it for awhile until the old stuff is cleared out around the cylinder. No cover was provided for the hoppers.
Good luck with the engine.
Mike