Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

A Fairbanks followed me home!

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1397 times

Old 05-05-2005, 02:14:22 PM
Sky

Talking A Fairbanks followed me home!

HI guys!

Finnaly got my fairbanks yesterday, it appears that the only thing that is missing that i havn't baught already is some carburator parts, turns out this is a throttler, i have the butterfly and throttle shaft, but i think im missing a few jets and a gas line inlet thingymajigger. i dont know the name of the carb parts for these engines becouse im new around flywheelers, this thing turned out to be a perty decent size! it isn't exactly a little bitty thing like i thought it would be. so i guess what im trying to ask is that could someone tell me the parts of this type carburator? all the jets and adjustment and such? this thing even has a little door thingy at the top of the carb, is that to see your gas? or to store little bitty parts in?

p.s. you know, it is a funny thing cuz we went out after something yesterday and when me and my dad came back, there was a fairbanks in the back of the truck! huh,....someone must have put it there,...ohwell, it had to come home..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2005, 04:59:07 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts
Default Re: A Fairbanks followed me home!

Skylar, call Ed at Hit and Miss and get a reprint owner's manual. The FBM manuals generally have good illustrations and parts listings in them. It will help you tremendously with your search. Also, peruse their website if you don't have a catalog. Ed has illustrations of some of the more complex parts such as the carburetor along with the list of available parts.
The trapdoor on the carburetor is the starting tank. When running on kerosene or distillate fuel, you fill it with gasoline and start the engine to warm it up. After the engine is warm, you shut off the needle valve on the starting tank and open the valve to your distillate fuel supply. If you run on gasoline only, put it in the main tank and only fool with that needle valve. Good luck with the new toy! Mike
Old 05-05-2005, 11:53:59 PM
Registered-III

Skyler,

Ed at Hit and Miss also has the valves and valve seats. There are 2 of them one has a long valve and goes in the inside of the small gas compartment. The other goes in from the outside. If you are going to run it only on gas just put a plug in the inside one and run it from the gas tank.

The valves and seats are about $34.00 a set at H&M. I have used these valves to make mixers for engines that are missing their original mixers and they work very well.

I am attaching a picture of one of the valves that goes on the outside to the gas tank.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-447S.JPG  
Old 05-06-2005, 02:28:49 AM
Sky

What part number is that valve?
i cant seem to find it over at hitnmiss, maybee i overlooked something, is there a such thing as ordering a compleate carburator kit so that everything comes with it that way i dont have to order all seperate parts?
Old 05-06-2005, 08:59:58 AM
Registered-III

http://www.hitnmiss.com/7.htm

HM213 Carb Fuel Line Check Valve

HM216 Carb Needle Valve, Fuel Side 1-1/2 to 2HP

HM222 Carb Needle Valve Seat, Fuel Side 1-1/2 to 2HP

Darryl
Old 05-06-2005, 09:27:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar King
this thing even has a little door thingy at the top of the carb, is that to see your gas? or to store little bitty parts in?
Skylar:

The little door thingy is a starting fuel reservoir for when you run the engine on kerosene.

The mixer has two needle valves, one to run the engine on the starting fuel and the other one to run the engine off the main fuel tank. To start the engine when running kerosene, put a little gasoline in the reservoir. Close the main tank needle valve and open the starting fuel needle (about a turn open's a good place to start).

Now, after the engine is running, open the main needle valve as you close the starting needle valve to change the fuel over to kerosene.

If you are running gasoline only (recommended!), just leave the starting needle valve closed all the time and operate off of the main tank.

I believe the dishpan has a spring loaded choke on the air inlet (it's been a LONG time since I had my dishpan). If this is so, make sure all the parts are there and in good shape or you will have trouble making your engine pull fuel from the tank.

Also important is the condition of the check valve in the main fuel line. If the check valve leaks, you will also have a hard time keeping your engine running.

It would probably be a good idea to call Ed Deis at Hit-N-Miss. I'm sure he can help you get the right parts.

Be careful and have fun - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 05-06-2005, 01:12:54 PM
Sky

HI, i was also looking at one of those timer plates? if thats what they call them, they have a switch lookin thing on them, now is that something i need to? cuz that would be another thing that i dont have.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:08:02 PM
Registered-III

If the govenor has the switch, it is a "Buzz" coil or "hit n miss".

The magneto fired or "throttle goverened" engine does not have a "switch" on the govenor unit to fire the magneto.

Here is a photo of that switch on my 1 1/2 hp "hit n miss" dishpan.
http://www.boydhouse.com/hitandmiss/...king_back2.jpg

Darryl
Old 05-07-2005, 02:07:13 AM
Sky

Just ordered some parts from Hitnmiss, will i get a email confermation saying i did? just wondering, cuz that is nice to know that your order went through and all.