Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Another fairbanks question

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1284 times

Old 05-07-2005, 11:55:50 PM
Sky

Talking Another fairbanks question

HI, i was just wondering ONCE AGAIN,( like always.) does the gas tank on the model Z dishpan fairbanks have a check valve in it aswell or just a sucktion tube? if thats the case, i can make a gas tank for mine.
and another thing, im not sure who is fermiliar with buying stuff online with hitnmiss, <<< ED's site<<<< but i ordered some carb parts online last night at hitnmiss and i still havn't got a confirmation email on the order that it has been succesfull and what not, corse the order was made at 1:00 in the morning last night, and noone has emailed me on the order today, maybee there closed on weekends? or maybee with this being moms day weekend has sumthin ta do with it..........
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2005, 01:52:16 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts
Default Re: Another fairbanks question

Sky I understand your excited about your new engine but why dont you call Ed on Monday(They arnt open 24-7) and make sure the parts your ordering are the right ones?Before you spend alot of money on parts that ether wont work,may break something or worse yet hurt you.These flywheel engines are not B&S. Ed knows fairbanks real good and can get going. BobRR
Old 05-08-2005, 02:24:40 AM
Registered-III

Skylar,

The other day I told you that I would try to find a carb/mixer in my barn for a fairbanks Morse throttle governed 1 1/2 HP engine. I found one in my computer room and have taken a picture to post for you. You will need a Check valve and Ed has one that I like very much as it has a small screen on the bottom and it screws onto a 1/8" NPT male fitting in a verticle position it is about $9 but well worth.

Here is the picture that I think might help you with your mixer. You will notice that I have the shank of a screw driver under the suction disk to make it show up better.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-454S.JPG  

Last edited by Dick Welty; 05-09-2005 at 03:37:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:17:52 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

How does one go about removing the needle valve seat? I need to replace one but was afraid to go willy-nilly into it and break something.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:28:49 PM
Registered-III

Mike,

I assume you mean the internal valve seat.

Remove the hold down clamp screw holding the external valve seat in and remove the external valve seat.

Then use a bolt with a shallow hole drilled in the end to drive out the internal valve seat thru the hole that is opened by removing the external valve seat.

The hole in the bolt will keep you from smashing the needle valve hole shut.

If you have another tool that will accomplish the same result then use it.

Removing a rusty needle that is broken off in the brass valve seat is a problem that I haven't solved myself.

Dick
Old 05-09-2005, 07:24:19 PM
Registered-III

After I punch out the needle seat on the starting side and when the rusted needle valve is broken off, I take and heat it up until it is very hot and then quench it, then I can usually turn the rusted needle valve out by hand.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:13:35 AM
Registered-III

Thanks Jason,

The seat that I have with a broken needle valve in it was broken by a prior owner.

I have wire welded several nuts onto the short stub but have been unable to get it to back out without breaking the weld.

This seat is a spare anyway but I will try the heat and quench method that you suggest the next time I come across that piece.

Thanks again,

Dick
Old 05-10-2005, 05:07:36 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Here are are a couple ideas. How about eletrolaysis or ( not sure about this one dont know how bad it will hurt the brass) but how about acid?BobRR
Old 05-11-2005, 12:21:27 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,675 Times in 3,028 Posts
Exclamation Re: Another fairbanks question

DON'T put brass in acid It will eat the Zinc out of it and ruin ti! The heat method will work. Heat in a dark area, until a faint dull red glow is noticed. Quench in water. the steel should loosen right up. NO MORE than a very dim dull red heat, or the brass will melt (thats why the darkened room) The brass will anneal as well (get soft). Be careful not to mushroom the brass on re-installation!
Andrew

EDIT: Adding a link here: http://old-engine.com/fairbnk2.htm