Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Suggestions please on Galloway 5 HP

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1720 times

Old 05-08-2005, 07:59:48 AM
Registered-I

Default Suggestions please on Galloway 5 HP

Greetings,
I am lloking for guidance onwhat to do first on the Galloway 5 hp that i just acquired. It has lots of compression and is tough to spin even with the compression relief open. However at the same time I can see a cloud coming out he back of the cylinder. It does run and I am not noticing that cloud once it starts. Have not pulled the piston. What should my first steps be? Thanks
Jack
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2005, 09:08:21 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: Suggestions please on Galloway 5 HP

Jack, It sounds to me like everything is normal. I wouldn't do anything but get a friend to help you start it! The rings will bypass some as you crank it even if everything is perfect, and it sounds like you already have more compression than you need. Enjoy your engine! Kevin
Old 05-08-2005, 01:28:50 PM
Registered-I

Kevin,
Thanks. I will play rather than tear down. The idea of having help starting is a good one. My arms and shoulders got pretty sore working alone!
Jack
Old 05-08-2005, 09:37:01 PM
Registered-III

Jack, I recommend you remove and cleanup the compression release. Also the hole it came out of. Both will carbon up pretty good in due time, especially if the valve was left on too long when running. There should also be a checkvalve in the valve that needs cleaned occasionally.

I'm only 5' 9" and 155 pounds wringing wet and I have no problem. With the compression release closed, I could never turn it over compression.

I'd try that first

RickinMt.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:38:29 PM
Registered-I

Rick,
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually was cheating and leaving the primer open because the compression relief valve didn't seen to make any difference. They both tee off the same port on the side of the cylinder. I will clean that up.
Another question if you are familiar with this engine. Do I need to prime the mixer at all. There is a valve at the tank and it is gravity feed but I am wondering if I am getting an air lock or something. The carb is a lunkenheimer. The engine will fire a few times but do not have it running steady. Thanks
Jack
Old 05-11-2005, 04:58:19 PM
Registered-III

Jack I don't know what kind of mixer is on my 5hp Galloway but how I start it is.First I turn the gas on at the tank then open the needle valve about a turn.On my carb there is a stem that sticks below the bottom which goes up to the throttle plate in the mixer(I think)I push this up a few times until gas runs out then I start it.The Galloway is the best starting engine I have and is the one I start when some one wants to see an engine run.Hope this helps. Mark:
Old 05-11-2005, 07:50:14 PM
Registered-I

Mark,
Thanks for the tips. I think we have the same kind of carb. I will try pushing on that post which sticks out he bottom. I have done taht but have never had gas come out so I will do it a bit more next time. What a great information source this board is Thanks Harry and thanks to all
jack
Old 05-11-2005, 09:25:36 PM
Registered-III

Hi again Jack;
Did you remove and cleanup the compression release real good and that hole in the cylinder it came out of goes clear thru to the bore. Mine was almost plugged when I got it.
The stem you're tickling is called the flutter valve stem and this valve closes off the needle valve port when the engine is latched up. It also acts as a checkvalve in the fuel system so one is not needed. I usually open my Lunkenheimer mixer needle valve about a quarter of a turn, tickle the flutter a little bit, wait until it feels right and go for it. I have also primed it through the primer cup and that seems to help when it's cold. Galloways are a little cold blooded and heat doesn't hurt. Keep a keen eye on that flutter valve steam as it can unscrew and become history.

You'll know when the checkvalve is open as when it fires it will leave a big black glob on the ground. Make sure you get it completely closed after it fires a couple of times...and check it occasstionally.

Good Luck
RickinMt.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:28:27 PM
Registered-III

Jack, here's a pix of the disassembled check valve:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...04083442cnUJgJ

good luck
Rick
Old 05-11-2005, 09:29:37 PM
Registered-III

Darn it I meant compression release valve with internal checkvalve.

sorry
Old 05-11-2005, 09:41:06 PM
Registered-III

Jack, I reread your one message. You say the primer and compression release are connected to the same port..on the "off" side of the engine. The only primer (cup) I know of is on top of the igniter and is 1/8" npt...available from the vendors.
Take a look at mine at my webshots album:

http://community.webshots.com/album/88886243mzpsZq

Hope it helps
RickinMt.