Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Fairbanks cam/governor assy.

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1592 times

Old 05-13-2005, 11:56:08 PM
Sky

Default Fairbanks cam/governor assy.

HI all, i got my cam for my fairbanks dishpan Z 2 horse today but the only thing is that the gears are binding, seems like they're tight with all that old grease and some rust, I'm trying to take the whole assy. apart but can't figure out how to take apart the big gear that drives the whole thing, any help, hints, ideas, suggestions? I need to take the whole assembly apart to clean the entire unit thoroughly. I can't find any set screws or anything.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2005, 12:32:08 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Fairbanks cam/governor assy.

Sky

If you have a digital camera, photos would help you a lot in your quest for info.

Some of us are familiar with these engines and some are not. A photo will help some of us to tell you what to do.

Not picking, just trying to help you out,

Jim
Old 05-14-2005, 01:26:06 AM
Sky

The picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairbanks governor.jpg  
Old 05-14-2005, 05:48:36 AM
Registered-III

Sky,
I wouldn't try to disassemble it, since pot metal is VERY fragile and there is a chance it could break, and then you have to buy a whole new bracket from hit and miss which is $ 125.00. ( I must add well worth it since it is a quality product.) I would try soaking it in some oil to free it up and work it by hand before I would try anything else or a combo of oil diesel fuel and some penentrating oils.
Let me know how it turns out.
~Jonathan
Old 05-14-2005, 08:50:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts
Talking Re: Fairbanks cam/governor assy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Widelo
Sky,
I wouldn't try to disassemble it, since pot metal is VERY fragile and there is a chance it could break~Jonathan
I agree. If you try to hammer on any part of the assembly, you will have a handful of pot metal pieces.

Just clean it up as-is and work with it 'til it's turning freely. Then take to aspirin and let us know how it came out.

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 05-14-2005, 10:17:21 AM
Registered-III

Skyler , Clean off the center hub of the big gear and you should see a set screw that is flush with the end of the big wheel hub. half of the threads for this screw are in the wheel and half are in the shaft the wheel is mounted on. remove this screw and the wheel screws off. I hope this helps. let us know the results. Joe Morris
Old 05-14-2005, 12:18:38 PM
Registered-III

Skyler,

If you have a bench grinder with a wire wheel just brush the teeth clean and use penetrating oil to clean up the gear axles.

The one tool that I use the most to restore old Iron is the bench wire wheel.

Always, Always, Always wear eye protection those wires have a habit of flying off and of brushing off high speed projectiles.

Dick
Old 05-15-2005, 01:30:14 AM
Registered-III

Hi Skylar, I rebuilt one of these engines this past winter. I took everything apart. Check the archives, I posted pics and some questions. I'm not sure what cam gear Joe Morris is talking about but mine had a screw in the end of the keyed shaft. Clean up the part prior to working on it so you can see what you are doing. I've used a heavy duty degreaser sold at Home Depot that works fairly well. After removing the screw, the gear MUST BE PULLED from the shaft. It is pressed on. I used a small wheel puller. Use lots penetrating oil and tap on the puller periodicaly. Mine came off hard. Did you get the instruction manual from Hit-n-Miss #2548D? The instructions for pulling the cam gear are in there, page 9. In reasembly the gear must be pressed on, make sure you have the key in place. I think the threads for the screw are #14. A hard size to find. I redrilled and tapped mine for 1/4 20. You may also want to remove the gov. gear and shaft. My gov gear and shaft were threaded together, I believe a right hand thread. Check the archives on this dissasembly also, other people have had this question. I also took the cam follower apart and found out the hard way that it has left hand threads. I had to make a new one on the lathe and then harden it.
Let us know how you come out or if you have more questions.

Good Luck,
Erik Grund
Bloomington, MN
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04325_resize.JPG