Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Magneto Lucas RS 1

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 8137 times

Old 05-18-2005, 07:13:52 AM
Registered

Default Magneto Lucas RS 1

Hi ,I have a couple of the above magnetos on motors and neither will start.
There is spark from the maggys but not enough to fire a spark plug under compression.
Having tried a couple of the local Auto Electricians to have them tested and no joy, they ask what the readings should be... ...pass I don`t know.
Can anyone help with what these maggys should read.Coil /condenser.Values.
As you can see i`m not too bright where the sparks are concerned.
Any help appreciated.
Phil.............
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2005, 05:59:01 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,675 Times in 3,028 Posts
Exclamation Re: Magneto Lucas RS 1

Have you tried new plugs with an .020 gap? Are or have the plugs been wet with fuel? The new gasoline will short out under compression. Check it out. Is the spark thin and white - bad condenser, reddish - bad coil, thin and blue - possibly weak magnets.
Andrew
Old 05-18-2005, 10:38:28 PM
Card Sponsor

Default Re: Magneto Lucas RS 1

Phil. Testing the mag coil with an ohm-meter will only tell you if the high and low side coils are open or not. On older magnetos the wire insulation breaks down from age or using carbon-core plug wire or tripping the mag with no place for the spark to go to ground. What needs to be done is have them tested on a magneto coil tester. Hook up the coil to the tester and increase the amperage. with a 5mm spark gap, which simulates firing a plug under compression ,the amperage draw should not exceed 1.10 to 1.25 amps to obtain a steady spark.If it does then the coils are shorting internally in between the windings. You can try farting around with replacing this or that but without testing the coil you won't get it to work properly. Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:51:55 AM
Registered

Thanks Andrew,Rudy.
I checked a couple of my good mags, by hooking them up to a neon timing light no troubles a good bright light.
The two im having trouble with will give a good 4/5 mm spark but don`t have enough power to work the timing light.
I will print a copy of your info Rudy and take it with me to an auto electrician and see if i can get a result.
Dry plugs , new plugs ,new wire ignition leads, even tried braided aviation leads.
Hope i can get a result next week.
Thanks Phil...........
Old 05-20-2005, 05:31:57 AM
Registered-I

Hi...
We use the RS1 mag alot in the UK they where fitted to a very common engine called the Lister D, I usally find the maganets become week on these mags, so its best to get them recharged if you know someone, also the mags can be timed as well if you loosen the screw on the points cam this can be rotataed to achive the best spark, failing that the condesor could be faulty or the coil could be goosed, the cheapest option is to get them remagnatissed first, when you turn the mag it should feel like a compression stroke on a small engine and not spin freely. I have a spares list and diagram for this mag if you need it just email boblester40@hotmail.com and i will send it to you, also this company produce about every spare part for this type of mag www.magneto.co.uk/.

HTH

Bob
Old 05-20-2005, 05:34:00 AM
Registered-I

Me again,, Remeber if you take the armature out of a magneto you WILL need to recharge the magnets afterwards, if anyone has had them apart they will need a boost.