Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Cool---ing question

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1738 times

Old 05-20-2005, 06:30:12 PM
Subscriber

Default Cool---ing question

Which way is better to cool with a radiatior and a fan---blow the air out the front, from o ver the engine thru the rad?? or suck air thru the rad and then over the engine??I know what I [think]--but--what do you think.--in this case it is a engine/generator set.
thanks d,j,
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2005, 08:23:19 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Cool---ing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihorse
Which way is better to cool with a radiatior and a fan---blow the air out the front, from o ver the engine thru the rad?? or suck air thru the rad and then over the engine??I know what I [think]--but--what do you think.--in this case it is a engine/generator set.
thanks d,j,
Blow it out the front so as not to add heat to the generator.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:50:30 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Cool---ing question

Good question. I have a mid '40's vintage 12hp Witte that sucks the air from the non-engine side and blows it toward the engine. This would allow fresh air to flow into the radiator from outside the bldg if the genset were mounted next to a wall. I think this would be more efficient..........Then I have a mid 50's vintage Onan with Continental F162 that pushes air from the engine side out toward the front. Less efficient; I don't know why they did it this way. The only good use for a pusher fan is on a bulldozer, where it is advantageous to blow the dust and leaves forward and away form the radiator to reduce plugging.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:12:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 495 Posts

On the old air cooled VW engines the cylinders away from the air flow wore out first. One nice thing with water cooling is uniform temp due to water flow. I would focus my attention on a good shrowd and proper fan blades and not worry about the minimal air cooling- which I suspect is a wash. Some amount of air,enters at X degress and leaves at y degress. The temp diff(x-y)* air volume = how much heat removed. So; I am thinking focus your attention on getting as much air threw the radiator as you can. Let the water do the cooling. I dont think it matters, but if I had to choose, I'd prefer the coldest air enter the radiator first where it does the most good.

So, how did they setup this at the factory? Why not just go with origional spec?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:23:34 PM
Subscriber

I don;t know how it was orig--the fan has been changed--it now is a pusher--I think it would be better if it was pulling air in through the rad--????
d,j,
Old 05-20-2005, 11:13:04 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,027 Posts
Exclamation Re: Cool---ing question

The Kohler letter series engines take air from the engine side and push it thru the radiater
Andrew
Old 05-20-2005, 11:52:22 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

I agree that a well designed shroud will make the most difference due to air actually passing through the radiator instead of just AROUND it. After that, I doubt you would be able to tell much difference as the which direction the air is flowing. A brilliant engineer for Bell & Gossett once said, "A difference, to BE a difference, has to MAKE a difference." Make the air go through the radiator. The direction depends on which fan you come up with and which way things want to spin on your engine. Kevin
Old 05-21-2005, 12:29:55 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey
The Kohler letter series engines take air from the engine side and push it thru the radiater
Andrew
The kohler 4cyl.letter series takes air from the gen. side and pulls it through and blows across the engine.BobRR
Old 05-21-2005, 12:48:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,583 Times in 940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Radtke
Blow it out the front so as not to add heat to the generator.
That's the answer. Most important is to keep the electric side of the set cool.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:57:15 AM
Registered-III

My experience with tractors in high weeds is that if the fan is pulling air thru the radiator it has a tendancy to plug up the radiator faster with debris than if it is pushing air from around the engine.

I think that the natural advantage of pulling air in the same direction as it flows thru the radiator due to the forward motion of the tractor is quickly offset by the fact that the radiator is plugged up by the grass seed leaves and other debris that is sucked in to the core by the fan.

If the fan pushes air from the engine side out the front it seems to take longer to plug up and is easier to wash out with a hose.

For stationary engines I would think that if the engine is sitting away from external obstructions to the air flow that sucking air into the radiator will more evenly hit the core and cool the coolant than it will after being sucked around the engine and accesories and pushed out the front of the radiator.

In the case of your engine generator I think I would preffer pushing the air out the front of the radiator because that would mean that you are drawing cooler air over the generator which also generates heat and can over heat under load.

More free advise.

Dick
Old 05-23-2005, 01:07:02 AM
Registered-II

Arrow, FM, Climax and Ajax stationary engines all pulled air over the engine and then through the CONDENCER not radiator system. The reason for this is simple. Stationary engines will pull grass, bugs, and other material into the condencer, it is easer to clean the condencer system when you do not have a shroud, fan guard and fan in the way.

David Johnson
djohnson@arrowengine.com
djoh175046@aol.com
Old 05-23-2005, 07:10:32 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,525 Times in 740 Posts

Without a shroud a fan has to be very close to the radiator to be effective. The fan will take the air with least resistance and a lot of that will not be through the radiator. A pusher fan can be much farther away. This air is easier to duct outside if heat is a problem in the building.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:31:46 AM
Registered-II

OK, lets set things right. The following engines all use sucker fans: Arrow, Climax, FM, Ajax, Kubota, Lufkin, Yanmar, Waukesha industrial pumping unit engines. The rumor that condencer type cooling systems will not cool your engine properly is a joke.......All the above engine do not experance overheating problems. A condencer system must boil the water to produce steam to properly cool the engine. The engine MUST run at a water temperature of 212 deg. The average running temp. of these engines is 212 to 220 deg. If your temp. is higher than this, you may be suffering from the following problems:

1. Your cooling system is too small for your engine.
2. Your engine is overloaded.
3. Your engine timing is not correct.
4. You have way to much antifreeze in your system.
5. Your fuel system is set too lean.
6. If your above 5000 ft. most nonpressurised systems will over heat.

David Johnson
djohnson@arrowengine.com
Old 06-01-2005, 01:00:05 AM
Registered-II

David J, the condencer does reguire the water to boil to work properly. However lots of radiator systems work at sub 212 degree temperatures. just a thought-Joe Fisher