Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Throttle Gov. IHC M Running Poorly

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1034 times

Old 05-22-2005, 08:38:43 AM
Registered-I

Question Throttle Gov. IHC M Running Poorly

This may be an easy one for someone with a good amount of experience with IHC throttle goverened M's .... this has happened on a spark plug version and now on an ignotor version I am working on. Both of these engines miss occasionally without load. In one case I had an M that would hit on every other power cycle. If I adjusted the mixture it would run either lean or rich but not smooth out to hitting on every power stroke. My buddy thought that it might be a worn intake valve guide. We put a lot of oil the valve stem and it did seem to even out some. However both engines seem to hit fine on each power cycle with a slight load - so I do not think it is spark, timing or compression. While at a show I saw another guy's M doing the same thing. Any suggesstions from M operators? Maybe this is a common problem that has a well known solution.

I'd like to have them running smoothly for shows when not under load.

Regards,

Wade
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2005, 12:40:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts
Default Re: Throttle Gov. IHC M Running Poorly

Try lightly holding the ex. valve closed when running if it smooths out you have a weak valve spring.BobRR
Old 05-22-2005, 10:01:07 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,675 Times in 3,028 Posts
Exclamation Re: Throttle Gov. IHC M Running Poorly

Try the springs, and also check for play in the throttle shaft and linkages. a worn throttle shaft will lead to an erratic idle, as air will leak past the shaft. There should be virtually no play vertically or horizontally in either the intake valve or the throttle shaft.
Andrew