Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Slowing down a 1927 Economy 1-3/4hp

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1979 times

Old 05-22-2005, 03:03:42 PM
Registered-II

Default Slowing down a 1927 Economy 1-3/4hp

Gentlemen: I just acquired a 1927 1-3/4hp Economy hit-n-miss engine and I would like to talk to others owners about starting proceedures that they use, adjusting air and fuel, and the slowest speed setting. When I select the slowest speed, I have the choke open and the fuel adjustment out 2 full turns; the engine will gasp and die. With these settings, the engine will run just fine at the intermediate and high speed setting. My fuel check valve may not be correct for what I am asking it to do, or may not even be the correct one for it. The check valve that I have has what dis-assembled looks like a small 22 caliber shell casing in it and it does work, but maybe it is to heavy for slow speeds. Any comments and ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Karl
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2005, 03:22:29 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Slowing down a 1927 Economy 1-3/4hp

As engine RPMs decrease, you have to close off the air intake to the carb a little. Think of the butterfly in a carb on a car. When the engine is at idle, the butterfly is practically closed. At full throttle, the thing is "wide open". Hence the term "Wide Open Throttle". This is because the engine doesn't really generate as much suction as is needed at lower RPM's to suck the fuel up through the mixer/carb and a little choke is needed to help get the right amount of fuel in there. Just play with the choke plate settings until it runs good for a while without getting so rich that it dies or fouls the plug.

Jeb
Old 05-22-2005, 06:53:25 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl T Schwab
Gentlemen: I just acquired a 1927 1-3/4hp Economy hit-n-miss engine and I would like to talk to others owners about starting proceedures that they use, adjusting air and fuel, and the slowest speed setting. When I select the slowest speed, I have the choke open and the fuel adjustment out 2 full turns; the engine will gasp and die. With these settings, the engine will run just fine at the intermediate and high speed setting. My fuel check valve may not be correct for what I am asking it to do, or may not even be the correct one for it. The check valve that I have has what dis-assembled looks like a small 22 caliber shell casing in it and it does work, but maybe it is to heavy for slow speeds. Any comments and ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Karl
If the engine is an Economy "S", turn the mixer valve 1/3-1/2 open. Choke by hand with the choke plate 1/3 open. This will be close to the propper setting for the idle situation. If you look at the gov.-lockout lever, there is a headless bolt and a lock nut. Lossen the nut and turn the bolt CCW to slow the engine. Reverse (CW) to speed it up.

I have 2 of these and the seetings I gave work for both.

Jim
Old 05-22-2005, 08:11:00 PM
Registered-II

Wink Re: Slowing down a 1927 Economy 1-3/4hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl T Schwab
Hi Karl,
All I can do is tell you what I did to slow down my 1928 1-3/4hp Hercules S.
I bought it at an estate sale. When I went to fire it up it was a wild beast just showing how tough it was and wanting to WORK. It also was having a little trouble latching out. I adjusted the latch out parts and fired it back up.

Even the slow setting was too fast for show so I took the gov. apart and cleaned everything. It had a very stiff spring in there. I grabbed my spring bag and found one the same size, but very weak. I put it all back together and now it is a much milder runner. This is just like replacing the springs on an engine with flywheel weights.
My engine wants the following starting steps.
Open mixer adjustment 1/2 turn.
Close choke.
Hold hand tight over choke and pull it through once. I hold in the intake valve to get it over compression then after pulling it down,,,, gas is running out of the mixer.
Grab the flywheels and pull it over.
It is running.
Now close the needle valve a little until it is running sweet. I usually start it on the fast setting and let it run a few minutes before it will run on the slow setting. I still have the stiff spring in case I ever want to work this engine. The choke always stays closed.
I did all this first fire up at a show and a good friend was there to guide me.
(thanks Bill) 8>))
Old 05-22-2005, 10:51:52 PM
In Memory Of

The check valve you mention is correct. Does the fitting that screws into it have 4 notches on the end? These need to be there to prevent the check valve ,when it rises, from shutting the fuel flow off.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:35:39 PM
Subscriber

Hello,
If I understand your description of the problem, the engine has trouble running at slow speeds because of lack of fuel. The check valve may be working correctly and suppling fuel to the mixer adjusting needle. The problem could be that at slower speeds the air that is moving through the mixer does not have enough speed to properly atomize enough fuel to the cyl. To correct this problem move the choke lever alittle or make a wooden plug to fit the mixer hole and drill it out so that the mixer hole is now smaller. About 3/4 or more of the orginal size. This is just like a venturei in a carb. Many collectors that have the 10" flywheel Ideal or Bluffton (3/4 hp) use this to run there engine a slower speeds.