Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Unknown Sideshaft Engine Line Art

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1856 times

Old 05-24-2005, 10:42:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,798 Times in 193 Posts
Photo Unknown Sideshaft Engine Line Art

Any idea on who made this Sideshaft engine? Circa 1901 from the date on the envelope. (second picture)

Also got an unused post card with the Sherman Smith Engine...(first picture)
Attached Thumbnails
ssengine.jpg   sideshaft.jpg  

Fight "Global Warming" Get rid of the heat source....the SUN
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2005, 12:12:05 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts
Default Re: Unknown Sideshaft Engine Line Art

Columbus? The reason I say that is that the engraver was in Columbus, O and the governor is very similar to what I've seen on Columbus engines. I have an envelope advertising Columbus engines at home that I will have to investigate tonight and see if it is similar artwork.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:43:46 PM
Subscriber

I would suggest either a "Hamilton", built by the Advance Mfg. Co. of Hamilton , Ohio; or an "Advance", built by George D. Pohl Mfg. Co., of Vernon, N.Y. I believe the two are related. The Advance was marketed by the Henry M. Chenery Co. of Portland, Me., among others. Al Wait
Old 05-25-2005, 08:19:32 PM
In Memory Of

W.L. BLAKE CO, portland,me. was an industrial supply distributor who sold several brands of gas engines, including BROWN-COCHRAN sideshafts, ASSOCIATED, IOWA ,ST. MARY, AND RIDER-ERICSON hot-air pumping engines. I owned a BROWN& COCHRAN, 12h.p. gas engine, used in the RICE BROS. boatyard,E. boothbay, me. from 1904 to 1940
Old 05-26-2005, 11:01:20 AM
In Memory Of

Steve, would you consider selling the w.l.blake co. postcard with the engine on it? i collect ephemera on Maine gas engine dealers. Also, in answer to your question about what make the engine is, I don't believe it is a Brown[Brown-Cochran], but it also has a number of features of the Lambert gas engine, and there was a dealer in Maine who sold LAmbert gas engines. There have been several Lambert engines found here, and they are all different in design features, but they all have that odd shaped spring mechanism on the end of the sideshaft which trips the ignitor. I would make an educated guess that this may be an early Lambert of Anderson, Indiana.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:07:11 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

It's definitely not a Hamilton engine. I know it's difficult to see, but that's what I have for my avatar. After looking at my envelope I'm more convinced it is a Columbus. My envelope shows the engine more from the side than the head on shot in Steve's picture. The only difference I see in the engines is that mine has a full cast sub base while Steve's shows a removeable sub base. It was difficult to tell since I don't have a magnifying glass, but what I could make out of the engraver leads me to believe that it was the same engraving company. Also, compare it against the photos of the Columbus in the pictures from the Portland Swap Meet. The similarities are very striking.