Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

measuring rpm on sparkplug engine with mag

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3283 times

Old 05-25-2005, 01:01:30 PM
Registered-II

Lightbulb measuring rpm on sparkplug engine with mag

If I bought this off of ebay, would it work to measure the rpm on my fmz ?

You are bidding on a durable DMM, SM-4380B. It is designed for all basic electrical functions like AC/DC Volts, Continuity, Ohms, DC Current, Diode and Duty Cycle, plus the automotive features you need, including RPM, Dwell Angle and Temperature measurement. It can be used in many applications, such as auto, motorcycle,
marine and small engine. CE Conformity. Meets IEC 1010 Safety Standards

http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/b6/9b/75_1_b.JPG
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2005, 02:43:03 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: measuring rpm on sparkplug engine with mag

I suspect this will not help you much. Multi-meters of this sort are meant to measure aspects of electricity that are being continuously fed. The current/voltage that is created by the mechanical means of a magneto is not continuous. It is created and grounded imediately via the spark plug or the igniter points. There is also the matter that the current/voltage created by your engine may be outside the readable range of this multi-meter.

Two ideas that might help..
1) You might think of using a tachometer in contact with the crackshaft. Generally there is a turning/grinding center on the end that will work well for a contact type of tachometer.
2) A frequency variable strobe light against a mark on the flywheel or crankshaft.

The strobe light is the less expensive method.

Best Regards,

Donald
Old 05-25-2005, 04:14:15 PM
Subscriber

I don't think what you have there will help you out much, If the engine were throttle governed it would be closer in accuracy than a hit and miss style governing. With the hit and miss style and an EK mag, the mag is normally only tripped when the exhaust valve functions so this would be a poor representation of engine rpm. What I use is a combination contact and photo tachometer from Snap on a little pricey at over the $300 mark but extremely accurate. The reading can be taken off the end of the crankshaft via contact or a small piece of reflective tape can be placed on an object and the reading can be taken by the infra red photo feature of the tach. I am also a diesel engine mechanic so the tach does double duty for me.

Denny
Old 05-25-2005, 04:17:16 PM
Subscriber

Oops, sorry I did not see your first line about the engine being a FM Z, depending on if the Z is spark plug or ignitor what you got there may give you a reading, if you can select to read a single cylinder engine.

Denny
Old 05-25-2005, 04:27:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

If it's a throttler, all you gotta do is count the number of bangs in a minute and multiply by two.

You could also count the number of times the exhaust rocker moves (both full and short strokes on a hit-n-miss) and multiply by two.

These engines run slow enough that you can do that. Don't try it with your chainsaw!

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com
Old 05-25-2005, 06:00:43 PM
Registered-II

"If it's a throttler, all you gotta do is count the number of bangs in a minute and multiply by two."

"These engines run slow enough that you can do that. Don't try it with your chainsaw!"

It wasn't a chainsaw but I have seen it done on pulling tractors, some of them at 5000 RPM or better. A guy in the stands with a laptop computer and a microphone. He just had to input the number of cylinders and whether it was a 2 or 4 stroke. Diesel or gas did not matter you could watch the RPM from start to finish.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:39:00 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,027 Posts
Exclamation Re: measuring rpm on sparkplug engine with mag

Check EBay for hand held Tachometers - one was on yesterday - a Stuart, and it was only about $15 You want a mechanical tach, not electronic. Starrett made them, so did Stewart-Warner I have both types. The Stewart- Warner is good up to 2500 RPM, and gives you actual RPM as the engine is running. The Stuart and the Starrett are timed types - you hold them against the crank for a given amount of time and then multiply the read-out to get your RPM ( 1 minute = RPM, 30 seconds X 2 = RPM, 15 seconds X 4 = RPM, 20 seconds X 5 = RPM) I have about 5 different Starretts, all work well, and they can be had for between $5 and $20 at flea markets, and on EBay
Andrew
Old 05-26-2005, 12:45:13 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre' Blanchard
A guy in the stands with a laptop computer and a microphone. He just had to input the number of cylinders and whether it was a 2 or 4 stroke.
That's how they do it for F1 racing and I suspect NASCAR as well for the in-car tach views.