Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Hummer Engine Works

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2125 times

Old 05-25-2005, 07:59:55 PM
Subscriber

Question Hummer Engine Works

I picked up a Hummer gas engine at the 2005 Portland Swap Meet,the tag reads "Hummer Engine Works, Jackson Michigan. The number on the igniter bracket refer's it to Field-Brundage.
Does anyone out there know anything about the Hummer Engine Works?

Thanks for your time.
Roger
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2005, 09:42:03 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Hummer Engine Works

A friend of mine bought a Hummer at an auction in Kutztown, PA a little over a month ago, and he is also unable to find out anything about it.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:17:44 PM
eMail NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Eldred
I picked up a Hummer gas engine at the 2005 Portland Swap Meet,the tag reads "Hummer Engine Works, Jackson Michigan. The number on the igniter bracket refer's it to Field-Brundage.
Does anyone out there know anything about the Hummer Engine Works?

Thanks for your time.
Roger
According to a 4 page flyer I have in my Field-Brundage file, the Hummer line consist of both gasoline and throtling govenor kerosene engines. The decal on the engine says "THE FIELD TYPE W ENGINE". The maker is Hummer Engine Works, Jackson, Michigan, U.S.A. I do not know when they dropped the Field-Brundage name and went to Hummer.They were made in 1 1/2, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 & 16 HP sizes. These are full base engines. Webster magneto is standard..

Here is a interesting paragraph called "FINISH" " Engines are well finished, receiving one coat of heavy iron filler, which is rubbed to a smooth finish which leaves a good surface over which to paint. Regular standard finish is Seal Brown"

Remember one thread a while back about using body filler versus painting over the rough castings. Some quality engines did go the extra step. Field being a quality engine.

I keep a roster of Field-Brundage engines but do not have any Hummers listed. John D.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:09:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,140 Posts

Mark Meincke's book lists Hummer Mfg. Co. of Springfield , Illinois with trade names of Hummer, Racine-Sattley and Sattley. He also lists Hummer as a trade name for Field-Brundage. I agree that the engine in question is a Field-Brundage. I have seen photos of what looked like a small Gray without the raised letters called a Hummer also.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:31:49 AM
Subscriber

Talking Re: Hummer Engine Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davidson
According to a 4 page flyer I have in my Field-Brundage file, the Hummer line consist of both gasoline and throtling govenor kerosene engines. The decal on the engine says "THE FIELD TYPE W ENGINE". The maker is Hummer Engine Works, Jackson, Michigan, U.S.A. I do not know when they dropped the Field-Brundage name and went to Hummer.They were made in 1 1/2, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 & 16 HP sizes. These are full base engines. Webster magneto is standard..

Here is a interesting paragraph called "FINISH" " Engines are well finished, receiving one coat of heavy iron filler, which is rubbed to a smooth finish which leaves a good surface over which to paint. Regular standard finish is Seal Brown"

Remember one thread a while back about using body filler versus painting over the rough castings. Some quality engines did go the extra step. Field being a quality engine.

I keep a roster of Field-Brundage engines but do not have any Hummers listed. John D.
Thanks for the info., John
Roger