Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Timing Newway CH

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1060 times

Old 05-30-2005, 09:38:34 AM
Registered

Default Timing Newway CH

Still having problems guys. When I spin her over, right on the compression stroke, she locks up just about to break my arm. Seems like its firing and locking. Here is the mag setup. Bosch Rotary. Can any of you take me through this step by step to get it timed properly. The two nuts on the flange can be loosened and the coupler will move in the slots. I hope I make sense here. How can I retard the spark? New with Rotarys here. Cant figure her out. Thanks Smoke
Attached Thumbnails
Magneto.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2005, 09:57:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts
Default Re: Timing Newway CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke
Still having problems guys. When I spin her over, right on the compression stroke, she locks up just about to break my arm. Seems like its firing and locking. Here is the mag setup. Bosch Rotary. Can any of you take me through this step by step to get it timed properly. The two nuts on the flange can be loosened and the coupler will move in the slots. I hope I make sense here. How can I retard the spark? New with Rotarys here. Cant figure her out. Thanks Smoke
Smoke:

If the timing is close, to retard the spark with an adjustable coupling, first make a temporary mark so you can get back to the original setting if need be.

Now, figure out the direction the mag turns. Loosen the coupling and hold the mag side of the coupling. Turn the engine in it's regular direction to let the coupling slip a little bit - maybe 1/16th of a turn of the crankshaft.

Hold the coupling and tighten the bolts.

If you need to advance the spark, to the same thing but turn the engine backwards a little.

NOW - if you want to start from scratch, to get close, remove the plug and put your thumb over the spark plug hole. Turn the engine in the normal direction 'til you feel positive pressure. Use a piece of wire down the plug hole to turn the engine in the normal direction 'til the piston is at top dead center. If you have an impulse magneto, it should click very close to this point. If not, loosen the coupling and adjust it one way or another until it clicks at about TDC.

If your mag is not an impulse, open up the point cover and the points should just begin to open a little before TDC. You can tell when the points are beginning to open by putting a piece of THIN paper between them. When the paper begins to slip, that's when they're starting to open.

Easy, ain't it.

Be careful how you crank that engine 'til you're SURE the timing is okay. You could really hurt yourself if it kicks back and the crank hits you in the wrist. That's called a "Ford Fracture", from Model T days.

Good luck and take care - Elden
Old 05-30-2005, 07:06:09 PM
Registered

Default Re: Timing Newway CH

Thanks Elden, I did what you said and she fired right up. Didn't even kick me either. I did notice that I really had to spin it good to get it to fire. In the past, all I had to do was get it up to compression and pull a little more and it would fire. Would this mean that I have it a little past TDC or is it firing a little too early. Thanks for the information though. It ran for about a 1/2 hour today.