Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

IHC LB Questions

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1590 times

Old 06-02-2005, 11:22:25 PM
Registered-I

Default IHC LB Questions

Got a leaky camshaft seal and I am wondering how best to get the pulley off. How do I get the tapered Gib Head key out for starters and then get the pulley off the shaft? Looks pretty rusty down in there! Also does anybody know of a vee pulley that will mount behind the flat belt pulley. That is if I ever get the flat pulley off. The flat pulley is a standard 6" dia. by 5" wide. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Frank, down in the middle of Tennessee
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2005, 11:42:29 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: IHC LB Questions

Frank, search under 'gibb key" this thread says it all. sweltering in central Texas- Joe Fisher
Old 06-03-2005, 11:58:14 AM
Registered-III

I made a hooked key puller out of a 3/4 threaded rod with a hook welded on the end. I used a fairly heavy piece of flat bar across the pulley open end with a hole for the threaded rod . Do the usual soaking and penetrating oil thing. Tighten up the threaded rod and put a good pull on the gib key. If you use a good long piece of threaded rod and have about two feet hanging out of the end you can put a piece of pipe over the threaded rod and a nut and use it like a slide hammer. You do need a really good weld on the hook on the threaded rod. Worked for me.
thanks
dave from omemee
Old 06-03-2005, 05:56:38 PM
Registered-I

Thanks Dave, sounds like a good plan. I have been shooting it with PB blaster every time I walk by for the last week or so.

Frank
Old 06-03-2005, 06:18:58 PM
Subscriber

Is it a stock LB pulley? The two I have pulled off have 3 threaded holes to attach your bolt/gear puller too. Make sure your pulling straight and I've had to heat the key red hot and put of piece of scrap iron to catch the gibb key and pull both the key and pulley off together. If your just moving the pulley your making it worse on the tappered key. When you put it back together use and extra long key and tap a hole in the end or weld a nut to put a slide hammer on next time. As far as the Vpulley use the three bolt holes used for pulling and bolt the vpulley on the back.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:41:59 PM
Registered-I

Scott, yes it is a standard IH pulley with the 3 threaded holes in the back side. I had not thought of using them to pull by. This sucker is really rusty so I think its going to be a bear to get loose. What kind of V-pulley did you have in mind to bolt on behind the flat pulley? Maybe one of those solid sheet metal type that are spot welded together? Anyhow, thanks for the post

Frank in middle Tennessee
Old 06-04-2005, 06:05:05 AM
Alan in KY

my L Bhas a vee pulley the same size as the stock pulley welded to the back of it with 3 or 4 spot welds looks good and will let you use both types of belts
Old 06-04-2005, 07:43:44 PM
Registered-II

IHC made cast iron "V" belt pulleys for the LB's and also for the "M"s. They bolt to the three holes on the back side of the pully. The IH ones are spoked and the after market ones are the spot welded metal ones. I have the spoked ones on all of mine, and I have found them at swap meets and flea markets. I had a couple of the flat ones or welded metal ones, but I just sold the last of those. They both work good on V belts. Cheers Paul Hokanson
Old 06-04-2005, 10:08:15 PM
Card Sponsor

I never had much luck getting those keys out unless I heated the hub up.I used a 10" vise grip(without the wire cutter) as tight as I can make it on the gib head.I have a slide hammer with a 3/8" rod bent 90 degrees on the end.I put the bent end in the jaws of the vise grips.Heat the hub up and start slide hammering.Make sure you clean up the keyway real good before trying to pull the key.it worked on 90 percent of the 1's I have taken apart.The 1 that the key head broke off I had to drill out.Use a long 7/32" drill bit along side of the keyway for a guide.A hose clamp snug around the drill bit but not too tight helps keep it straight.Took me over 2 hrs to get that 1 out.Once you drill out the middle try and twist the pulley on the shaft to loosen up whats left.Usually the pulley that mounts to the flat belt pulley was used for a milker vacuum pump.Good luck Rob
Old 06-05-2005, 12:05:28 AM
Registered-II

If you have access to a welder and can weld, get a 3/8 fine thread #8 hardness bolt 5 or 6 inches long. Weld it on the end of the gib key and make sure you don't weld it to the shaft. next get a piece of 1/2 inch steel preferably, but 1/4 may do it. the steel has to be long enough to fit across the pulley with a 3/8 hole drilled in the center. Once thats set up use a hardened nut and tighten the night as tight as you can. when tight take a 1/2 in impact socklet that is long enough to reach over the bolt and nut and whack a couple of good whacks with a hammer, remove the socket and tighen the nut again and repeat with the socket until it's loose. I have pulled many keys this way and it has always worked. You can either cut the head off the bolt or grind down one side of the head so you can clamp it on the bolt to weld it. If you have a socket you can double nut the end of the bolt and just whack the bolt. Thats my free info and worth every cent. Paul Hokanson
Old 06-05-2005, 03:39:31 PM
Registered-I

Paul, appreciate bothe posts. Sounds like from all the responses I've had that welding a bolt to the key is the way to go. I'm not a welder but have a buddy who is. As far as the V-pulley is concerned, I plan on going to Portland in August so maybe I will find one there. Thanks!