Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

More JD E questions....

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1258 times

Old 06-04-2005, 02:33:10 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,296 Times in 309 Posts
Question More JD E questions....

I just got my 1.5HP E running and it seems like the cylinder is dryer than it should be, the oil level is fine it just seems like it should be getting better lubrication on the piston. Is this a standard issue with the "E"s or am I missing the boat somewhere? What "flings" the oil around? Just the governor weights?

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2005, 04:23:25 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: More JD E questions....

Hi Jim there is a oil sling on the end of the govener that looks like a T.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:59:46 PM
Registered-III

Cool Re: More JD E questions....

Thanks Roger. I don't remember seeing anything like that when I had the cover off earlier...... The engine just has that feel when an oiler on an engine isn't working right or runs out of oil, dry not much compression but it runs.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:22:52 AM
Registered-II

Jim: I have never seen the little "T" on earlier JD's. I have three of them and none of then have the "T" on them. I have seen the "T" on one I did for someone else, but it was one from the late 30"s with a aluminum tag on it. My question is this, Is the sceen that goes into the ring on the pan that the govenor weights run in open? If the screen is plugged once the oil is flung out, not much will be getting back in. Also have you had the piston out? If you have and have put it in upside down the oil wouldn't be getting in either. The slit in the piston goes to the top and a lot of people seem to want to put them in with the slit to the bottom. This would also have your oil hole for the wrist pin facing down. Hope this helps. Paul Hokanson
Old 06-05-2005, 11:33:16 AM
Registered-III

I will check that screen out and see how it looks. I did have the piston out , I did notice how it was oiled (but paid little attention to that) and put it in same side up as it was when I took it out. Nothing saying the person that had this engine before me didn't put it in correctly, it looks like they had the thing all apart.

Thanks,
jim
Old 06-05-2005, 02:04:38 PM
Subscriber

The reason for the cup around the governor weights is to reduce the amount of oil thrown. There is a small hole at the base of the cup to allow oil in. That little hole is what regulates the amount of oil into the cup. Without the cup the engine gets an exessive amount of oil which doesn't hurt it but it blows out more.

If your engine isn't getting enough oil, make sure the little hole at the base of the cup is open. As I recall the hole is behind the screen but its been nearly a year since I looked at one last. If it is restricted or shut, the cup around the governor will go dry.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:41:31 PM
Registered-III

Mine is 1928 :: Had it all apart total rebuild..No oil slinger on this one ..Just oil pan cup with filter screen on probably 3/8 hole..Govenor Weights Sling Oil.. Don't worry it will be coming out of everywhere.. You don't want it to..Byron