Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Battery and Coil hook up for a 6hp Fairbanks

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 3068 times

Old 06-10-2005, 10:01:50 AM
Registered-III

Question Battery and Coil hook up for a 6hp Fairbanks

HI,
I am wondering if any can one tell me exactly how to hook up a 6hp Fairbanks Morse Igniter engine up to a battery and coil, I was able to start my engine up once and believe the Sumter # 22 doesn't have enough spark to run the engine, I un-hooked the mag and after numerous attempts couldn't figure out how to run the engine on a battery and coil. I also wondering if any one could give me some start tips / advice this is my largest engine and I am still trying to figure out the best was to start it
Thanks in advance
~Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2005, 10:48:25 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Battery and Coil hook up for a 6hp Fairbanks

Take a low tension coil or an automobile coil, the round old common style. if you are useing the automobile coil this is what you do. Run a wire from the battery, either post, to a good ground anywhere on the engine. Next, if you are useing the car coil run a wire from the battery to one side of the coil, Then run a wire from the other side of the coil to the ignitor if you are useing a regular low tension coil you will of coarse only have two posts. On a car coil ignore the center/ coil wire post.., Now heres another thing, when connecting the wires, There is no need to pay any attention to the positive or negetive posts, on the coil or battery, this makes no difference, in other words you can swap the wires connected to the battery while the engine is running and it will run right on, whether hooked to pos. or neg. posts Is your engine throttled or hit and miss? Regardless, if the points stay together until the igniter trips it will soon heat up your coil and drain the battery tell us a little more about the engine Is it a Z style or an early H.? I hope this will help a little , any question ? E mail me Good luck in a good hobby Joe Morris
Old 06-10-2005, 01:26:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 495 Posts

One caution, make sure you disconnect the magneto, or else you may burn it up. Common practice is use of a two pole switch. The ignitor goes to the center of the switch (knife blade part.) The coil goes to one side and the mag goes to the other. The switch will allow battery start then use the mag for running. Both my Intl M's came with one of these switches from the old days. Here is a sketch. I would expect a compression release on a 6hp. I know you have a Z, I dont know how to start it. The manual suggests a crank, no way baby. I think, if you dont have a compression release, you might try a shim between the exhaust valve stem and the rocker. Just thick enough that the valve does not quite close. Then pull it out after the engine starts. Just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery_Ignitor.JPG  
Old 06-10-2005, 05:13:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

The easiest way I found to start my 1916 6hp. Z is with a belt and tractor! BobRR
Old 06-10-2005, 10:22:33 PM
Registered-III

Jonathan,

If your 6 hp FM has a SPARK SAVER that contacts the rocker arm it should be wired in as part of the ground circuit. This prevents the igniter from firing when the engine is in miss mode (coasting) thru the cycles. When the exhaust valve is fully closed the spark saver makes contact with the brass contact point on the rocker arm closing the circuit and allowing the igniter to spark. This saves the battery if you continue to run on the battery and coil. I have no problem starting my 6 hp FM Verical Hoisting Engine. Set the igniter to trip at 5 degrees BTC. Hand pump the fuel to the carb, adjust carb needle about two turns out, turn it over once to prime the cylinder, and bring it up on compression, and then connect the battery or switch. I choose to push down on a flywheel spoke with my foot while pulling the flywheel with my hands. If all works well it starts. Hope this works for you.

Eugene
Old 06-10-2005, 11:34:56 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Battery and Coil hook up for a 6hp Fairbanks

Jonathan and Eugene,

I know that both of you already know not to turn on the ignition with a hand or foot in the spokes, but I am always concerned that someone new to these engines will read something and misunderstand the procedure.

Or is my warning because I don't understand the procedure? Correct me if I am wrong. Maybe I'm concerned about something I don't fulling understand?

Dick
Old 06-11-2005, 01:26:56 AM
Registered-III

Exclamation Rawleigh Schryer Zeigler Schryer & Rawleigh Registery

I've started an engine registery for Rawleigh Schryer, Zeigler Schryer & Rawleigh engines. I currently have 30 engines registered from 6 different States. If you own or know anyone that does own one of these engines please contact me. List HP Sn (include prefix letter or letters) cooling type your name and address To receive Free newsletter. Also planing National Show In 2006 see my ad on page 350 2005 Show Directory.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:39:09 AM
Rod

Hi Jonathan, I use to own a Fairbanks 6HP model Z. I used a coil and battery for it and it worked just fine. As far as starting it goes, I always primed the monster than spun the flywheel backward. It always hit and then started. In my case, I used a model T coil and an old feeler gauge and a piece of wood to make a switch. Basically, the feeler gauge grounded out at the correct moment to fire the engine. Mickey mouse it was, but it worked just fine for 2 years that way. I only fool with the small ones now. Good luck with your engine. Rod
Old 06-11-2005, 07:45:45 AM
Registered-III

Joe,
my Fairbanks is Z engine from 1917, it is throttle governed, thanks for the advice , Peter I might try to make a hook like that in the future I am sending my mag to Mark and want to run the engine while the mag is gone. Dick I don't plan on putting my foot near any part of the flywheel, just on the ground next to the engine, and the crank handle is definitely a wall hanger
thanks to all who posted
~Jonathan
Old 06-11-2005, 11:13:00 AM
Registered-III

Jonathon, You are right about the crank on the wall and your feet on the ground. I hava six horse F.M. " H ' that I start while standing on the ground beside the trailer it is sitting on. These old engines ,even though they have spark retarders to prevent them from kicking. A person must always consider that an engine 60+ years old does not always do what the book says it will . Stay safe ,have fun. Good luck in a good hobby. Joe Morris
Old 06-11-2005, 11:29:25 AM
Registered-III

Dick,

I do not advocate starting any engine in an unsafe manner. Having a good working knowledge of the starting procedure and characteristics of a particular engine is required. Properly set ignition timing is paramont to engine operation and operator safety. Obtaining sufficient flywheel spin to start an engine may take many forms. It is the responsibility of the operator to know his engine and follow proper safety procedures. That said, I have witnessed a senior club member start a large Western engine by riding the spokes and younger, stronger men look for the first aid kit after starting smaller engines. Know your engine, take your time, think and be safe.

Eugene
Old 06-11-2005, 12:26:32 PM
Registered-III

Eugene,

I didn't mean to imply that you or any other regular Staker is using unsafe practices I just wanted to clearify good procedures for new Stakers.

I know what you mean about Senior Club members. I sometimes wonder what would happen if something got bent or broken in transit that changed the timing on there engine.

I would hate to see them become the oldest astronaut into space.

I don,t have any engines bigger than 3 or 4 HP to start but if I did I would consider a starter motor rubber wheel to the flywheel or I would belt up a smaller engine to start it being careful not to let the belt get caught in either engine because that too can be dangerous.

Anyway Better Safe Than Sorry.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:19:02 PM
Registered-III

Lightbulb Re: Battery and Coil hook up for a 6hp Fairbanks

I hooked up my engine,just as described, and after choking it for one revolution, bringing it up on TDC and pulling the governor side flywheel it took right off, I ran it for about 45 minutes it ran great nice and smooth,although it did walk a little on the concrete, I couldn't be happier with it , its got some compression, its a lot different from starting 1 1/2's and 2's a real work out
thanks again to all who gave some advice
Old 06-11-2005, 10:51:05 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Now that you have it starting easy on the coil you may want to try switching over to the mag after starting? I've found with mine that you have to get it spinning pretty good to start off a low voltage mag.BobRR
Old 06-12-2005, 07:43:51 AM
DanR

Would you use 6v or 12v battery?
Old 06-12-2005, 08:29:26 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR
Would you use 6v or 12v battery?
Either one will work fine,m i use 12 volt lawnmower batteries on mine with no problem. Joe Morris