Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Big Hercules gas tank?

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1410 times

Old 06-13-2005, 01:03:28 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Big Hercules gas tank?

Is the fuel filler located front or back on a 1/2 base Herc? I just found a fuel tank in a friends barn and I think it is the one I need for my 12HP Champion/Hercules. There is no filler, but there is a sweated-on brass fitting that is the correct 3/4" pipe thread for the filler.
If I put the filler hole toward the back, the supply pipe would be up front toward the mixer. Also this filler hole is not oriented right or left, but right in the middle of one end of tank, near the top.

This tank is 32 and 3/4" long
8 and 3/4" wide
and 6" tall.

It is galvanized tin, and has a small copper vent tube about one inch long and pencil diameter, right in the middle of the top of the tank.
It has the correct looking pipe nipple and tee with plug and brass compression fitting for mixer on the bottom of the tank. (no check valve however)
It is covered with old grease and oil all over the top, and sure looks about right between the cart rails and in relation to the fuel tank holes.

My friend bought this farm and there is no other "junk" there. If this is the correct tank I need, it would be very bizarre. I recently found a photo of a Lininger Implement branch here in Kenesaw. My friends farm is located one and one half miles from here, and I bought the engine 70 miles from here. I know it's extremely unlikely, but maybe the engine was even sold right here. Could this be the correct tank? None of the photos I have show clearly where the filler is on a half base, but it seems the back would be about as reasonable a place as the front other than you are closer to the flywheels and or belt when filling a running engine. But that doesn't mean they didn't do it that way, even if only for a short time during production. What do you Herc authoritys say? Glenn? Keith? Thanks for your help. Kevin
Thanks, Kevin
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2005, 08:49:32 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,129 Times in 788 Posts
Default Re: Big Hercules gas tank?

I have a 7 HP Economy half base. The filler and mixer supply are both on the same end and are at the head end.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:08:23 PM
In Memory Of

Kevin, A word of Warning on the fuel fill. If you tilt the engine to winch it onto a trailer, the gas will over flow if the spout is on the low end. On my 7 HP I put the fuel fill on the carb end toward the off side whcih is the low end when I load. So I need to drain the tank when loading and unloading.
Glenn
Old 06-14-2005, 11:48:13 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

Thanks for the advice Glenn. Now which way am I going to load....