Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

rust and corrosion, how to remove

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2365 times

Old 06-22-2005, 06:34:28 PM
Registered-III

Default rust and corrosion, how to remove

on the waukesha, the valves are stuck good. the valves are rusty and the aluminum ports are corroded. seems every rust removil chemical says do not use on aluminum...I can not put this part in an electrolisis tank...any ideas?

Thanks

Mac Leod
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2005, 07:23:33 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: rust and corrosion, how to remove

The instructions on my jug of Evapo-Rust says it will not harm un-rusted steel and it is safe on other metals.

As far as corroded aluminum is concerned, the stuff swells up and things like pistons get really stuck. I've heard of people just giving in to the facts of life and breaking corroded aluminum pistons to remove them.

Hang in there.

Orrin
Old 06-23-2005, 09:37:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrin
The instructions on my jug of Evapo-Rust says it will not harm un-rusted steel and it is safe on other metals.

As far as corroded aluminum is concerned, the stuff swells up and things like pistons get really stuck. I've heard of people just giving in to the facts of life and breaking corroded aluminum pistons to remove them.

Hang in there.

Orrin
Orrin:

I can identify with removing corroded pistons. A couple of years ago, Frank and I decided to get a Clark Airport Tug running and auction it off for charity. This little puller had a 90 HP Chrysler 6-banger flathead in it and, after sitting indoors for a long time, it had stuck. I figured that all it needed was a gentle nudge to get it turning.

I soaked it good with diesel fuel then we towed it to try to break it loose. Nothing! It wouldn't budge.

To make a long story short, I pulled the head and pan. The cylinders were near perfect so the engine had very few hours on it. Everything was free except the pistons.

I spent the better part of a week sweating to get the pistons out in one piece but the last one broke and a couple of others were pretty scored so we ended up getting new pistons, pins and rings. It would have been a LOT easier to just take an air chisel to them.

BTW, after freeing-up a couple of stuck valves, lightly honing and putting it back together, it ran like a champ.

Take care - Elden
Old 06-23-2005, 10:28:41 AM
Stationary

Gooday,
I was able to remove 1924 Buick Master hub caps (aluminium) by soaking them with citric acid. This is a mild acid and eats away the aluminium oxides,
(I think!!).
Stationary
Old 06-23-2005, 10:31:25 AM
Registered-III

it is the valves I am having a hard time with...the pistons I think I can take care of, once the valves are free again...Where can I get a "jug of Evapo-Rust"...If I cant get the pistons to move, and breaking them is the only option, no great loss, they are shot anyways...I think the valves can be used again...the tops are pited but the seats look good. any other ideas for rust and corrosion removal?

Thanks

Mac Leod
Old 06-23-2005, 11:38:48 AM
Subscriber

Default rust and corrosion, how to remove: vinegar

The acetic acid in vinegar will convert rust to some sort of black powder, works like a charm. I degrease small parts, soak in vinegar for a few days and then put into an ultrasonic cleaner. The rust just blows off in the cleaner and the parts come out 'in the white', with even the pits cleaned out. Not sure how compatible the acetic acid is with aluminum, but try it. For larger items you could pressure wash them afterwards instead. Cleans up brass & copper well too. If you put the vinegar in the ultrasonic it speeds up the process of course. Complex parts where penetration is a problem could be put into a sealed container and a little air pressure applied through a tire valve or similar to force the vinegar in everywhere.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:40:36 PM
Subscriber

Just do a "www.google.com" on Evapo-Rust.

http://www.google.com/search?biw=950...=Google+Search

You'll get loads of hits. Take your pick.

I got mine from a vendor at a swap meet. I believe I've also seen it advertised in magazines. GEM, perhaps?

Regards,

Orrin
Old 06-24-2005, 09:28:34 PM
Registered-III

one of the guys I met a while ago, used to own parts shop for old euro cars...said vinigar... before I had a chance to read the posts that said use vinigar...seeing as that is cheap and avalible...I gave it a try...seems to work- slowly but thats fine...I have all the time in the world. Thanks

Mac Leod