Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Need help finding flywheel.

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 976 times

Old 06-23-2005, 06:07:07 AM
Registered-II

Default Need help finding flywheel.

Hello all, after seeing the upright modified twin Maytag for sale on E-Bay I have desided to make one for myself, I have one I purchased from an estate auction that is a horizontal and have had many coments about it and figured an upright would be a great addition. I have an engine with a bad mag I will use but cant figure out what to use for a flywheel. Can any of you give me a sugjestion as to what to use or maybe a supplier where I can purchase something suitable, I have read and heard this is not a very unusual thing to do but dont know where to find the parts I need. I am going to use the horizontal one I have for a pattern and copy the timer form it but dont know where the gentleman who built it got his flywheel. Thanks in advance David.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2005, 10:44:10 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,027 Posts
Exclamation Re: Need help finding flywheel.

I made my Maytag twin water conversions with valve handles from a local salvage (junk) yard The handles were off a pair of 6" mechanical gate valves, and weigh about 8# each. I used the original ignition cam and made a backing plate, with a set of GM 6 cylender points and condenser. One flywheel just bolted on where the original flywheel went - the taper was perfect inside the wheel! The other was bored out by a machinist friend, and a set screw was installed to anchor the wheel to the crankshaft. Ignitiion was by a dual spark coil for a Kohler twin engine. If you convert a twin into a single upright, you may have to drill the flywheels in order to balance the engine. If you leave it as a twin, the wheels do not need to be balanced. The maytag single is internally balanced, so the wheels can be put on as-is, except for shaft acceptance work.
Andrew