Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

WaterGlass (how much to use and what to mix with)

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 4003 times

Old 06-27-2005, 07:58:45 PM
Registered-III

Default WaterGlass (how much to use and what to mix with)

I finally got some sodium silicate (waterglass) now i am wondering how much i would use in a hopper of an engine with a slow drip, also can it be used with antifreeze mix and i also have a drip in a tractor and was wondering if i should try it there?

Thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2005, 08:24:50 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: WaterGlass (how much to use and what to mix with)

We had an engine with a crack between the water hopper and the cylinder bore. While the engine was running and up to temperature, I just glug-gluged a bit of water-glass into the hopper--didn't measure it. I doubt that it's critical. I estimate I put in half a cupfull.

The leak stopped almost instantly.

I have no idea how anti-freeze would affect it. Just to be on the safe side, I think I'd be running straight water in the cooling system when trying to repair a leak with water-glass. After the leak was stopped I'd then add the anti-freeze.

That's my opinion based on nothing more than a SWAG.

Orrin
Old 06-27-2005, 09:33:04 PM
Registered-III

the only reason i asked was because my uncle had an austin mini with a leak and he tried it (im asuming he used lts) anyways, he says he plugged the rad and hurt the head on it really bad.

I agree with you Orrin, i am going to run the tractor with straight water and see how bad it will leak, it was a crack that was hardly noticeable and i grooved it out and put some sort of cast iron repair in it. Im pretty confident that once i get her running, i should be in good shape

Thanks again

Mike
Old 06-27-2005, 10:00:24 PM
Registered-III

Orrin, are you saying this will seal a small crack in the cylinder wall ? I have heard of waterglass, but never seen it. Where is it available ? Thanks --Roland
Old 06-27-2005, 10:02:47 PM
Registered-III

i had to order the stuff i got from a pharmacy, kinda made me feel like i was doing something illegal until i explained what it was for.

What was the original purpose for it, I heard that it was used to seal eggs or something along those lines
Old 06-27-2005, 10:28:31 PM
Subscriber

Wow! I haven't heard about water glass in more than 50 years. Back about 1952 I was hanging around watching my paper route customer work on his stock car. Sure enough--he used waterglass to seal a cracked block on his 1937 Ford. It was a poor mans race car--cage and bumpers welded out of old pipe, weld a hook on the dash to hold it in 2nd, knock out the windows, add water glass and go racing. I remember them saying then waterglass was an egg preservative.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:38:09 PM
Registered-II

Mike,Sodium Silicate is the main ingredient in most of the liquid block sealers sold at auto parts stores.They usually have finely ground copper or aluminum added for better heat conductivity.I think the last I got from NAPA was K&N Brand.They explicitly say in big,bold letters;Do not mix with anti-freeze until you drain the block and let dry for 24 hrs.Worked good the few times I've used it.Chip
Old 06-27-2005, 11:33:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,380 Times in 454 Posts

Just for your information.

The shell of an egg is very pourous. You can actually blow air through it. Eggs loose water through the shell which is replaced with air, The oxidizing effect of the air will degrade the egg in short order affecting the quality and shelf life. In hatcheries this would cause a significant decrease ti the number of chicks that would hatch. Before modern refrigeration the eggs were dipped in a solution of water glass to seal the shell and reduce the expiration of the internal water and increase its shelf life.

Some egg producer still wash their eggs in a solution of water glass to help preserve them.

Water glass was often used to seal leaks in old hydronic heating systems. The only problem was that it would also seal the bleed valves creating problems with removal of air from the radiators.

The things we learn as stakers
Old 06-28-2005, 02:41:55 AM
Registered 0

Having waterglassed thousands more eggs than I care to remember, I can tell you exactly how it is done. You mix up a solution of waterglass strong enough to float an egg, generally in a 5 gallon can or crock, and then fill the container with eggs. When you've done it enough, you get to know how much solution to start with, as the eggs displace solution.
As the miserable creatures lay additional eggs every day, you add them to the crock, and weight the top to keep the eggs covered with solution. When the container is full, you heep it weighted, and add water every few days to replenish evaporation loss. You also hope somebody will buy the damn waterglass eggs, cause they do take on a taste, especially if they've been kept for a year, which is possible.
Selling off excess old waterglass eggs cheap to your buddys at Haloween will get ya an ass whippin, believe me.
Fertilized eggs are NOT waterglassed, they are sent to the incubator to become miserable stinkin chickens who will make more damn waterglass eggs.

Waterglass is also an excellent fireproofer for wood. The wood can either be dipped or brushed with waterglass, but dipping and soaking produce a far better fireproofing.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:12:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts
Exclamation Re: WaterGlass (how much to use and what to mix with)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzİ
Waterglass is also an excellent fireproofer for wood. The wood can either be dipped or brushed with waterglass, but dipping and soaking produce a far better fireproofing.
Waterglass (silicate of soda) is good for gluing paper. It can be used as a temporary frosting on windows, etc.

When I sold wood stoves, I used it to glue the door and top gaskets in place. It resisted the heat of the stove and worked like a champ!

Waterglass should be available from just about any chemical supply house, although I can't imagine a really modern use for it.

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 06-28-2005, 10:58:04 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

THE sealer of choice for us is KW Block Sealer.
It seems most of these sealers use sodium silicate as the actual sealing agent.
I think KW just has more OF it and it WORKS.
It is NOT, however, compatible with antifreeze---the engine must be THOROUGHLY flushed first.
KW saved a major overhaul on an Oliver 1650 we had in the shop---the owner insisted he wanted us to overhaul the engine because a small amount of antifreeze was getting into the crankcase. I asked if the engine had any OTHER problems and he said no. With the cost of JUST an overhaul kit being $800 I talked him into doing the KW thing and it worked.
HAPPY customer!!!
Craig
Old 06-28-2005, 10:26:00 PM
Subscriber

I get my waterglass from McMaster-Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Just type sodium silicate in the "Find" field, the click on "Find."

You'll note that a gallon of 40-percent sodium silicate only costs $12.20.

McMaster-Carr accepts "plastic." I order from them on-line. You can also telephone them and someone will take your order. They're a pleasure to deal with.

Orrin
Old 06-29-2005, 10:38:57 PM
Registered-I

I used waterglass to seal a pin hole I had in my intake valve guide on ,but after 2 years it started leaking again. Would it have lasted longer if I sealed it and drained it out be for I put the antifreeze in? Steve
Old 06-30-2005, 07:56:45 AM

A few years back i found it in a pharmacy store. Not like Wallgreens or Rite-Aid , just an old family store. Had it in a Quart bottle right on the self. Now your Lucky to find those kind of stores.
Don't get a crazy idea and think about sealing a gas tank with it. Gasoline disolves it.