Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Easy starting

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1673 times

Old 07-09-2005, 01:08:59 AM
Subscriber

Angry Easy starting

I just spent quite a bit of time with a fellow friend-he started some BIG tractors, and a big engine or two--they all started so easy--put his foot in the spokes, and slowley pushed them over center, and away they go---I am so green!! I have MAYBE one thing that will start that way sometimes!!! what are your guys tricks to this---I think I know the rules--compression-- BIG spark, fuel and timeing---what am i missing????Sometimes I about have a stroke--there has got to be a better way--he says [just got to have em right]--but--but---but---
d,j,
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2005, 01:32:54 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts
Default Re: Easy starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihorse
I think I know the rules--compression-- BIG spark, fuel and timing---what am i missing????Sometimes I about have a stroke--there has got to be a better way--he says [just got to have em right]--but--but---but---d,j,
I hate to tell you this dj but that's about the way it is....and if the gas and BIG SPARK are present you don't even NEED a heckuva lot of compression. The ONLY tractor I EVER owned that was NOT an easy starter was a 1932 Hart Parr Oliver 18-28. There's something about THOSE engines and I have never heard of one that DOES start easily.
IF your tractors/engines have primer cups on them try this: When you plan on starting one PRIME IT FIRST, do whatever oiling and greasing is necessary and THEN start it. Also, and Eagles are FAMOUS for this technique, prime it and rock the flywheel back and forth 2 or 3 times before tipping it over compression. It's a RARE Eagle that doesn't start on the first compression.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:59:53 PM
Registered-III

I wouldn't recommend putting a foot on the spoke of an engine to start it. it makes good showmanship if you have a crowd watching but it it is an easy way to get crippled for life. Yes, I am aware of there being no danger of getting hurt if the spark is retarded and the engine is timed right,BUT, when an engine is as old as most of these engines are they don't always function as the instruction manuel says they will. I saw one gentleman get thrown off the trailer his 15 horse Famous was mounted on by putting his foot on the spoke, he thought the spark was retarded, But, the engine had other ideas, due to a lack of oil in the right place on the trip assembly the spark was actually advanced. So, a foot on the spoke resulted in him laying on the ground, luckly with no seriious injuries but a good lession in how easily you can get hurt. Joe Morris
Old 07-09-2005, 08:27:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,011 Posts

When I have'nt run an engine for a while, I ALWAYS take the ignitor out and run some emery paper through the points to clean them off and shine them up. It is NIGHT and DAY difference!! PLUS always put fresh gas in it. As long as everything is in time, getting spark and fuel, there is NO reason why it should'nt go on the first or second pull. I used to cuss my engines all the time, but then I started to just stop and think about it, and more than 90% of the time, it was because of dirty ignitor points.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:50:12 AM
Registered-I

I have a Witte, 10 hp, with a Wico EK mag. It starts really easy when it is cold. But when it has run enough to get it hot, it is really hard to start. Any ideas out there about that?

William
Old 07-10-2005, 10:11:38 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

Good advice guys! William, I would bet that somehow your Witte is "hot soaking" on you. I don't know what your fuel system is like, but I've seen old Chryslers that didn't like to start hot. After you shut em off, the gas in the fuel bowl would somehow boil into the engine and flood them. Maybe if you shut off the fuel, hold the exhaust open, and spin it over a fuel times before trying to start, that would help. Kevin