Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Photo Eching Brass Tags

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1154 times

Old 07-18-2005, 04:09:55 PM
Subscriber

Default Photo Eching Brass Tags

Since I am having trouble getting repro tags these days, I have decided to study Jeff Conners recommended approach to photo-etching in April 03 GEM.
I have access to the chemicals and understand the basic etching process but cannot figure out the steps in developing the art work. I have tried Adobe Photomat 3.0 but have had no success in getting a black and white negative from my scanned in original tag. Has anyone any experience with the art process and can you provide any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2005, 02:29:09 AM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Photo Eching Brass Tags

Mike,

I may be over simplifying it but I would scan it in color and then print it in black and white.

Then copy it lighter and lighter on a copy machine untill just the letters and frame show.

Then copy it darker and darker untill it is what you want.

There are also many programs available where you can patch and add or subtract pixels untill you have exactly what you want.

If you need the black to white and visi versa most art programs allow you to change colors so first change the black to blue or some other color other than white, then change the white to black, then the blue to white.

Kind of like getting the chicken, the fox and the corn across the river in a small row boat when you only have room for one at a time.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Dick Welty; 07-19-2005 at 02:40:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:09:37 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Photo Eching Brass Tags

I've got a tag that is cracked that I wanted to reproduce. I had planned on making a rubbing of the original tag and scanning it (in grayscale). Taking that image and bringing it into Adobe Illustrator and using it to "trace over" with the bezie and text tools. You could probably do the same thing in Photoshop. This will give you Black and White, no grays, with nice straight edges and smooth curves. In the end you throw away or hide on a layer the original scan.