Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

2 HP Famous Mystery piece... better pics

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1346 times

Old 07-21-2005, 05:44:29 PM
Registered-II

Smile 2 HP Famous Mystery piece... better pics

OK, It appears to be an old speaker chassis. So whoever guessed that was right! Upon closer inspection we found the small bakelite terminal strip for the old speaker wires. The next question is what the heck were they using it for? Also what is the small L shaped round rod that is welded to the head bolt kinda between the valves? The other engine appears to have had this also but has been broken off. Look at the other engine also at what appears to be a Model T or A brake drum. It has been installed on the inside of the flywheel opposite of governor side. What was it used for? Possibly another pulley? Boy these old Farmer mods. are something else! Well we've definitely got our work cut out for us to bring these 2 back to life! They're not stuck and aren't really wore that bad. It will be a fun learning experience and an expensive one! The one with the speaker on top will be the prized one in my collection when it's done. The speaker will have to go though.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00943.jpg   DSC00945.jpg   DSC00951.jpg   DSC00952.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2005, 05:55:38 PM
2 Engine John

Default Re: 2 HP Famous Mystery piece... better pics

My guess is it was used to set some type of water tank on. If you notice, the water pipe coming out of the head is turned up as if it had been attached to something, otherwise it would be turned down for a cooling tank...Just a Guess..John
Old 07-21-2005, 06:01:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 2 HP Famous Mystery piece... better pics

Musta been some kind of scientist owned those engines!

I suppose the speaker frame (if that's what it is) was for mounting something on top of the engine.

Looks like a Model "T" brake drum but what's it used for?

I like the spark plug adapter. There was little time spent making it look good! Didn't even remove all the ignitor linkage. And how about that fuel pump arrangement???!! Looks like something done by Rube Goldberg.

I think I'd leave the mods alone if the engine can run with them. Shows what some folks did to keep 'em a-runnin'.

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 07-21-2005, 06:43:53 PM
Registered-III

I would also leave it as it is (restore...do not remove any of it)...

Mac Leod
Old 07-21-2005, 07:16:56 PM
Registered-III

Mike, the L shape piece is part of the intake valve blocking device, prevents the valve from opening while coasting in miss mode.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:33:31 PM
Subscriber

I am guessing that the speaker was to hold a fuel tank for a gravity type float carburetor??

Denny
Old 07-21-2005, 08:40:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 495 Posts

I dont know if you were asking, but I offer a counter opinion to others. First - I would recommend you restore the ignitor and remove the speaker frame. Thats too good an engine to leave that crap on there. The brake drum might be something to think about keeping, eventually I'd probably dump that too. Conversation point maybe. I think you can find a water pump, believe there is one for sale right now on the stack. I like old repairs when they are well done and done a LONG time ago and maybe on a super rare (ie never gonna find the parts) or real common (ie not worht spending the bucks) engine. A 2hp Famous is TOO NICE to leave all junked up like that. Right now, there is a barn fresh origional 2hp skid on eaby. that would be perfect for that engine, if you decide to keep it in its working clothes. Working clothes is always my choice. Battery boxes also turn up. You can have a tank made. Fuel pump castings are available, but I dont know where. I saw one on an engine this year. And, Oh yea, I think that valve keeper is nice to restore, people always ask about that. Nice project. My 3.5c
Old 07-21-2005, 10:34:04 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the answer and pic. Ralph. That clears that up but where can I find one? It would be easy to make but we would have to have one to go by. Also we need 2 rocker arms and re-cast is fine with me. Believe me, the speaker frame is gone as well as the spark plug adapters, and all the other useless garbage on the engine. I don't believe there's enough paint left to just leave in its work clothes. We can see red here and there and there's a few traces of black on the flywheels. I believe I'm going to go with new paint,decals,brass pipes,brass pumps, and a nice cart.

Mike
Old 07-22-2005, 04:32:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

My 4HP Nonpariel has one of those drums(?) on the off side (left picture). Thought it might be for keeping the oil from the main bearing from slinging all over the place. The governor side has lots of parts to catch the oil. I posted this photo years ago showing the differences between a Nonpariel and a plane old famous. HEY, that's my pumper engine before I finished it. Check it out .

http://www.Geocities websites CLOSED in 2009/oldengineon...umpengine.html
Attached Thumbnails
famnonpareildifferences.jpg  

Last edited by Paul Spence; 07-22-2005 at 04:36:22 AM. Reason: add'l info