Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Made first batch of ice cream!

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1741 times

Old 07-26-2005, 12:50:36 PM
Registered-III

Default Made first batch of ice cream!

Well yesterday was the trial run for the new ice cream freezer powered with a 2 horse cushman model "R" Finally got the ice cream made even with all the grankids running around asking is it ready yet?????

The little cushman preformed great, when the ice cream was getting had you could tell it was putting a small load on the engine, but it just kept on pulling its heart out.

This is the first time to try and post a pic. hope it works out. Thanks everyone for all the great help, advice and info on all my questions.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
ice cream freezer.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2005, 12:59:51 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Made first batch of ice cream!

Really nice cart, and nice setup! How long does it take to mix up a batch of ice cream? Just wondering...
-Rick
Old 07-26-2005, 01:12:52 PM
Registered-III

Looks good! When are you going to go spoil some drill rig workers?

Jamie
Old 07-26-2005, 05:01:11 PM
In Memory Of Helen

Geez! In this weather did you have to buy a truckload of ice!!!!! Sounds great! Nothing better than good homemade icecream....Helen
Old 07-26-2005, 09:21:57 PM
Registered-III

Well here in central western Oklahoma it was 102 yesterday when we made the ice cream took 7 1/2 bags before it was all said and done.....

I work in the oil field and really built the unit to take out to the rigs to provide desert to the hard working rough necks when we do a cook out for them. I haven't taken it out to a rig yet, wanted to get the trial run under my belt before doing that. If you tell a rough neck you are going to make ice cream you better be able to produce

Took a lot of time and effort but it sure works well and beats the heck out of hand cranking 5 gallons

Glad you liked the pics.

Dave
Old 07-26-2005, 09:23:35 PM
Registered-III

Sorry Rick,

Yesterday it took about 45 minutes 30-35 churning and let set for about another 10-15 mins to harden up some. Of course we feed the grand kids then waited
Old 07-26-2005, 11:37:35 PM
Subscriber

Hey Dave,

How about bringing me some of that Hit and Miss Ice Cream on your next trip to North Carolina. I have always thought that Ice Cream made with a Hit and Miss engine just plain tastes better than any other.

Glad to see your project turned out so nice.

See you later my friend and Daniel said hello.

Check out this link below, it made me real proud of my little "slider".

http://www.littleleague.org/media/20...estwinners.asp
Old 07-27-2005, 12:29:05 AM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Made first batch of ice cream!

The Ice and rocksalt can be a pain if you buy the little bags of icecream salt and the 7.5 lbs ice at the grocery store.

I buy the rocksalt in 20 or 30 lb bags that are used in water softeners. Not the compressed peanut size tablets but the regular rock salt.

I also freeze 3 or 4 1 gallon plastic milk jugs of water. Don't fill them to the top as they expand when they freeze.

I generally have a few of these in the freezer ready for icecream making or for cooling watermellons in a hurry.

When I have my Maytag 92 powered icecream freezer ready I just get two of the ice jugs which are about 7.5 lbs each and slam them down on the concrete rotating them 1/4 turn each time untill the ice in side of the plastic jug is pretty well fractured.

After a few more slams on the concrete the jug splits open and the ice is ready to use.

I find that the finely splintered ice created with this process is better than regular chipped or cubed ice.

The first time you do it you might want to start with three jugs because it takes a little experience to not slam it too hard at first thus breaking the jug before the ice is sufficiently fractured.

My freezer is a 5 quart and usually two jugs are sufficient to freeze that amount of icecream.

I use 4 quarts of half and half, 2.5 to 3 cups of sugar, 4 teaspoons of vanilla and about 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Do not forget the salt as the icecream will turn out with a flat taste without it.

I sometines add fresh strawberries, boysenberries or peaches sweetened to taste.

Having the essential salt and ice on hand means that the Half and Half cream is all that is necessary for a quick treat. We always have the sugar, salt and vanilla on hand and this simple receipt is quick and easy, no cooking, no egges and no mixing. Just pour the ingredients into the cylinder and let the freezer do the rest.

This ice cream is best eaten fresh as it gets very hard when the leftovers are stored in the freezer.

There aren't usually any leftovers but when there are any they are MINE...