Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Lube Oil Filter Media?

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1197 times

Old 07-30-2005, 01:45:20 PM
Registered-II

Default Lube Oil Filter Media?

I read somewhere that some splash-lubricated engines had a feature that removed particles from the lube oil. It was explained that a wad of some sort of cloth material was suspended from a bracket on the inside of the crankcase. Lube oil splashing around would eventually filter through the media, which would retain any particles.

Anybody know what the material was and how well it worked? I'm readying an Indian-built Lister-type diesel for generator service and would like to be able to scavenge particles from the oil.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2005, 05:44:33 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,099 Times in 1,504 Posts
Default Re: Lube Oil Filter Media?

I own one of the India built Listers and was kicking around the same idea. I'm considering a small pump and piping off the drain plug and installing a regular screw on filter and filter housing. Also heard with regular care these things will run over 100,000 hrs. before a tear down. So I haven't made up my mind yet. Here is a bad pic of mine running a 125 amp 12v alterntor charging a firetruck batterie and connected to a 2500 watt inverter. Seems to work well and have run up to about 20 hrs. on 3 quarts deisel. Have fun and be careful,. Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Dsc01016.jpg  
Old 07-30-2005, 10:43:42 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Lube Oil Filter Media?

Thanks for the reply, Fred.

I've heard similar numbers for these engines. Got mine (it's an Ashwamegh) from Utterpower.com a couple months ago and before even starting it, I stripped it down to nuts and bolts and stripped paint down to bright metal and am taking my time putting it back together. Found some pockets of casting sand under the crakcase deck yesterday . Cleaned them out and repainted interior to seal anything I missed.

I'm a little paranoid about grit getting into bearings, so thinking about doing something creative. Running a small electric pump through a cartridge filter is one way of catching any remaining grit but I'd prefer to keep the appearance as stock as possible.

I like your cart, though it appears a little top heavy to roll on wet grass.

Neighbors are bugging me to let them know when I plan to fire it up first time so they can be there. It's surprising how many people come out of the woodwork when they see you working on heavy metal with spoked flywheels.

Quinn

"There's something about the smell of a diesel!"