Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Just playing around!!

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 3262 times

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Painted 11 11.11%
Work Clothes 46 46.46%
Like Both 42 42.42%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2005, 01:12:36 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Just playing around!!

I wavered back and forth on my vote. Both look very good but I voted for work-clothes since painting is a one-way street. Perhaps the original paint on the skids may have tipped the scale for me (LOL).

Anyway you vote, you're in good company! Thanks for the fun !!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2005, 02:44:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,374 Posts

While a clean & shiny freshly painted engine makes for an attractive display, I find it terribly hard to justify tearing down a running engine just for cosmetic purposes. If I have to open it up anyway, its going to get the full treatment, but if it goes, I'll leave it 'as-is'
John Newman, Jr.
Saint Louis, MO
P.S. - Shouldn't there be some fairly harsh penalty for misguided souls that just shoot a can of spray paint at a complete, assembled engine and call it a paint job?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:35:22 PM
Sky

i kinda agree with John on the just spraying a can of paint at a running engine and calling it a paint job, it's not really a good thing to do and if i may say, that, that is the half a$$ way of doing things, if your gonna do something, do it right! i have 2 engines that have previously been "painted" before me and dad became the owner of them, painted over grease, and oil, and dirt, and no telling what else that has been painted over, it's just not right, and it does flake right off so why take the time to paint when you dont do it right or dont intend on doing it right? just takes more time on the next go around, so do it right the first time.
and about the second part of the topic, i agree aswell with some of ya'll.

if the engine runs, nothing wrong with it, runs just fine with a good percentage of paint left, i'd leave it alone BUT, if the engine is missing parts and other things and it really needs a good cleaning, or just if it's your decision, i would give it the full works. to let the truth be known, i only really like to paint my engines to: number 1, protect the metal, and number 2, if the engine just looks plain ugly, ( as far as the paint or whats left of it goes) so,...me aswell, have mixed feelings about a painted and a non painted engine but as i once said, they look good both ways restored and non restored, any engine..........well, just about any engine.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:44:01 PM
Registered-III

Something can only be original once. When its painted its changed forever.

I recon you paint something that has to be extensivly repaired to put it back into running order, where it doesn't look right in the restored condition. If its in good original tidy order I vote for leaving it that way.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:41:48 AM
Registered-III

John,

I have two 1 1/2hp examples of several engines and I intend to keep the best original engine original and paint the other then I can show them as pairs like yours. That way everyone can see one as it once was and one as it has become over the years.

The one thing that I like about this hobby is that there isn't that much show competition mentality like there is in some other hobbies. If I ever get another early Ford I will never show it where someone is looking for an original decal or rubber gromet someplace under the hood.

I restore things for my own enjoyment and am glad to share that joy with others. Who wants some killjoy judge pointing out some minor thing that varies from the original.

These engines were made to work and in doing so many parts were broken or wore out. They were then fixed to work, not to original. Sometimes not so good but some times as good as or better then orginal.

My engines generally start on the first or second turn and run all day with minimum attention. They are as safe as they were designed to be and are run in better conditions with better fuel and lubrication and less load than they were most of their lives.

I have painted some of my engines with spray cans and have paint that has held up under gas and oil for more than 20 years and still looks as good as almost any others except those that have been ground, filled, pollished, painted, glazed and waxed.

If others get the same joy out of painting theirs pink or purple thats fine with me to. Thats why those engines are theirs and not mine so that they can get enjoyment out of doing what ever they want with their things.

I for one am glad that the originality police haven't started awarding ribbons at the shows that I go to as it would take the a lot of the fun out of it for me.

Both engines look like fine examples of good running engines and each has it's own character.

Good Job on both.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:47:24 AM
Sky

Talking Re: Just playing around!!

i go with what Dick said, thats exactly what this hobby is about, it's about having fun, and not competition. i like engines myself painted if neccesary, half the time it is neccesary with the stuff i find, but if nothings wrong, leave it be! the paint jobs might not be original, but perty darn close, but that doesnt change the engine if no major repairs had to be done, the engine under it's new glossy coat is still original.

and one thing did i menchine? is this hobby is about having fun! fun fun fun i wont go nowere that has competition, not becouse im afraid of loosing a game, it's becouse some like to have oh...what would i say? bragging rights? im not in for that, i wouldnt think non of us are?
and well,...thats another story...... one that i will not touch.

i will shush now and wont say another word..........till portand
Old 08-01-2005, 10:54:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,011 Posts

Well John, if you have 2 of the same engine and your going to keep them, paint one, and leave the other as is. I used to have 2 3 H.P. John Deere's like you. I had one painted, and the other rusty. But they are both gone now, I just HAD to have something else But like an earlier post said, you cant go back once they are painted. Personally I like them rusty
Old 08-01-2005, 04:01:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

I'd leave it "as is" if it is running and has most of its original paint that is how i would leave it. The only engine that I havent repainted is my briggs fh all the paint is original even though some of the parts arent
Old 08-12-2005, 05:08:58 PM
2 Engine John

It appears the voting is over. It looks as though most of us like them anyway we can get them..Thanks to all of you for your comments. John