Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Biggest and best shows

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 2564 times

Old 08-03-2005, 10:54:39 AM
Registered-II

Default Biggest and best shows

This topic may have been covered already, but I am interested in everyone's view on their favorite show and the strong points of each. I have only been to Canadian shows and the Milton Steam Era (the fairgrounds are about a mile from here) seems to be the strongest with good representation in all groups. I hear about Portland and Canadaguia,(2 hrs from here) and I am hoping for some input.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2005, 12:21:38 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Biggest and best shows

I go to the Canandaigua, NY show almost every year. It's very large, with many stationary engines and many gas tractors as well as a big flea market and many engine/parts vendors. Hit and Miss or Starbolt are usually there. There are always several (5+?) huge steam tractors and also steam engines, many, many unique/peculiar displays of all kinds (generators, peanut cookers, fans, lights, whistles, hog oilers, models, etc.), and some big permanent on-site displays running- like a sawmill hooked up to a steam tractor (even has bleachers in front, man does it thrum under load!), a large Corliss type engine & generator in a new building, tractor pull, etc. An excellent show.

-Rick I.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:04:29 PM
Subscriber

Steve,
As a Canadian and Ontarian, I would consider myself spoiled with the amount of quality shows that are within a day's drive of here. I've attended most shows in Ontario at one time or another and have always found something to like about them. Steam-Era in Milton is probably the best overall show for old & oddball stuff. You will find that most collectors in Ontario with the rarer stuff will showcase it at Milton. THEN, go to Portland,Indiana in August (it's only 8 hrs or less for you) and get an education ! THEN go to Coolspring in Pennsylvania and get another education ! If you wanna see another big show, yep, you better head to Canandaigua, New York as well (before Portland show). Once you feel like putting some miles on, better head for Mount Pleasant,Iowa and Rollag,Minnesota for some more learning. Here at home, I like to attend Milton, Cookstown (I'm a member), Bracebridge, Brigden and Blyth. Hope this helps some.

Andrew....
Old 08-03-2005, 03:16:58 PM
Registered-II

Thanks Andrew. I just talked the wife and daughter into going to Canadaguia. I have been thinking about Portland, I have heard so much about it. I don't know much about Coolsprings, Went to Cookstown last weeked. An hour and a half into a 35 min trip up hwy#27 we decided to take the back roads. The engine that really got my attention was the bright blue Stickney.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:38:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,222 Times in 643 Posts

Being tied down to the farm here in Nebraska, I don't get to any of the Eastern summer shows. I do get to a few in the Midwest, and I would give the highest marks possible to the WMSTR show at Rollag, MN. They have a lot of people putting in an enormous amount of work & effort to put in permanent displays & putting on a great show. It's a very nice atmosphere up there & I would dare to say it is probably the best show west of the Mississippi River. I haven't seen most of the shows to the East, so I won't compare what I don't know about, but I don't know how Rollag could be improved much. My sincere thanks to those people who go to the work to save some of the giant old engines they have up there. Anyone with some time should make plans to attend this Labor Day Weekend for the Otto Engine Expo.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:53:07 PM
Registered-III

i agree with andrew walker those are some of the best shows around.but lets not forget to support the other smaller gas engine shows in you area.some day they my also become big shows.i live in cinti,ohio some shows in ohio are worth going to for one the plain city show is worth going to also hit/miss show in orwell oh great show ,try wapakoneta oh great swap meet in nov.greenville has a nice show,the old timers in xenia oh or ovam in georgetown great show.if you live in indiana try the shows in boonville,shelbyville,evansville,rushville,greensb urg,and one that is close to me and is getting bigger every year, large swap meet area,many gas engines,tractors, i think this show is going to be like portland ind show in a couple of years.look on page 229 farm collector show directory(brokville,ind)
Old 08-03-2005, 05:09:14 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

Don't forget the Findlay, OH show this weekend. It usually draws a good number of gas engines and tractors. They even had an engine or two from north of the border last year.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:28:50 PM
Subscriber

All sound to be good shows which I have been to a few but if you want to go to the Mecca of shows, one should pilgrimage to Coolspring, PA. They have displays you'll never see anywhere else and the members and attendees live and breathe engines. It's nestled in the middle of nowhere but you won't see any lawnmowers there!! It is highly worth the trip from anywhere in the world. I give my hats off to the people who maintain and run the show for it is a great place to visit.

Martin
Old 08-03-2005, 11:58:08 PM
Card Sponsor

I have to agree with Chris on the Rollag,Mn show. It's well worth to check it out. There is something there for everyone with different interests!The people there are friendly,and you get treated real well. Whatever you bring to exibit rare or not,everybody has a good time.I usually spend a week there,to volenteer as a member and show engines on the weekend. This year is the OTTO engine expo,which i am sure will be quite interesting.I wouldn't miss it.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:42:34 AM
Subscriber

Photo Re: Biggest and best shows

Steve,
Yeah, lotsa fun trying to get north on the long weekend, eh ? You will enjoy the Pageant of Steam in N.Y. Try for Portland next ...That 5 hp Stickney at Cookstown was right behind me at the show. The pic is of my son helping with our display.

Andrew.....
Attached Thumbnails
Cookstown2005Aneirin.JPG  
Old 08-04-2005, 09:20:34 AM
Registered-II

I've been to Coolsprings, Portland, Denton and Kinzers. They're all good, but I got the biggest bang for my travel dollar at the Mt Pleasent Iowa show. That show has something for the entire family. I was there for 5 days and I don't think I saw everything there was to see. It is on my must go back list.

Derek
Old 08-04-2005, 11:12:05 AM
Registered-III

I don't really care for Coolspring. All that's there is stationary engines. And most of them don't do anything. That can get boring really quick! I happen to like old mowers and own a few of them. Only having one thing at a show makes a boring show.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:52:38 AM
Registered-II

Does anyone have links for Portland or Coolspring?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:21:49 PM
Subscriber

Smile Re: Biggest and best shows

Steve,

Links for Portland and Coolspring are just a few clicks away here on SmokStak, click on Links(upper right hand corner), then click on Shows - Clubs - Museums, then just click on the appropriate area/region for the states wanted, IN and PA and then choose Tri-State Gas Engine and Tractor Assn. for the Portland Show, and Coolspring Power Museum for the Coolspring Show.

Don
Old 08-04-2005, 01:41:52 PM
Registered-II

I seems to me that any show is often preferenced toward being either a tractor show or engine show. There are few that actually marry the two together in one event.
My opinion...
Mt. Pleasant, IA - This is most definately a tractor show. It has a rather good display of engines, but the big draw is the overwelming display of tractors.

Portland, IN is the opposite in same way. They have a very good display of tractors, but the engines rule the show.

Canandaigua, NY is probably the show that has married the concept of both into one show the best (at least that I have been to). Both the tractor and the engine display are exceptional and well laid out.

Anyone else see this engine vs. tractor enphasis of a given show?

Side question (while we are on the topic) - How is Baraboo? I have been considering going to that one this year.

Best Regards,

Donald
Old 08-04-2005, 02:00:03 PM
Registered-III

Variety always beats out quanity. I'm a JD fan and owner of a couple myself but after seeing one B JD why would you want to see 6 more?

Can you operate equipment without hastle? Most large shows now make you park your wheeled items and they may not be moved while the show is going with the exception of the daily parade. Some of the best shows I attend are those that allow the exhibitor to exhibit and actually run the equipment. I only take my restored tractors to shows that allow me to drive them on my own terms.

My personal favorite show is the Badger Steam & Gas show. (BTW, BS&G has a no movement rule due to limited space and large crowds.) You wont find many steam traction engines but they have a nice collection of large stationary steam engines. There is a building chuck full of oilfield engines, most are run all weekend. The gas engine section is quite large and from what I have seen it rivals those shows found out east. The fleemarket can take a good part of the day to go through. If you see any show in the upper mid-west BS&G is the show to attend. aa

Forrest A
Old 08-04-2005, 05:16:27 PM
Email Not Working

Everyone has their favorites but there is a show at pawnee ok that just seems to get bigger and better every year.Everyone is treated really great and after the show is over they send you a card thanking you for showing. Most of the shows i go to are within about 4 hours except for mt pleasant that is 10. Last year was my first to show there but will be back this year for sure.Ed Malcom the le roi man in southwest mo
Old 08-04-2005, 05:42:40 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Biggest and best shows

I'm with Ed, Pawnee is an awsome show. But, My favorite is the CATOOSA Ok show. The 3rd weekend in October.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:35:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,356 Times in 345 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Biggest and best shows

A very good show in the middle of the USA is the American Thresherman Show, Pinckneyville, Illinois August 18-21,05
Steam Engines, Tractors And Gas Engines plus lots of other thing going on.
www.americanthresherman.com