Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

witte help needed?????

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1500 times

Old 08-07-2005, 09:14:41 PM
Scott Will

Default witte help needed?????

I have a Witte 2hp model B, It runs fast for a couple of hits then slows down until the governor colapses. My question is, does the governor have a spring inside of the body that pushes the spindle back or is the throttle tension spring on the carburetor all there is?

Scott Will
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2005, 09:31:53 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: witte help needed?????

Scott,If I remember right the only spring is the throttle spring and it has an adjusting nut to increase the spring tension.You might try holding the gov. weights all the way out by hand and making sure the butterfly is closed.If not ,there is a set screw on the top of the shaft to adjust the butterfly. Chip
Old 08-11-2005, 10:13:33 PM
Scott Will

O.K. thanks for the info. That was all I needed to know. Now I can look for the problem somewhere else. Will keep posted if I get it fixed.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:26:12 PM
Registered-I

Scott,
I'm in the process of rebuilding a Witte Model "B". When I got it it was a mess, but so far I've been able to get almost everything apart. Someone (a couple of owners back) tried to get it running, repainted it with various colors of spray paint and must have finally given up. When I got it, it had a missing oiler, gas tank, muffler, spark plug, etc. but otherwise looked restorable. So far I've managed to take everything apart, glass beed blast everything and am about ready to repaint. A have access to all missing parts, so at the moment I'm making progress. My only worry is the magneto. It's a American Bosch FO ED-3 V1. Everything I've read says the Bosch Magneto was only used in the first two years of the Model "B" production (1922-23). Anyway did you solve your throttle problem? I would like to know because I might run into the same once I get things back together.
Rick
Old 08-26-2005, 10:57:28 PM
Scott Will

No, I haven't solved that problem yet. I kind of got frustrated with it, so I sat it aside for a while and will try to figure it out in a couple of weeks or soo. But I will keep the progress posted when I start on it again.