Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Novo Kero Mixer

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1434 times

Old 08-11-2005, 04:13:47 AM
Registered-II

Default Novo Kero Mixer

Turned out a new needle valve for the Mixer on my Novo on my lathe. Even with the new needle (the old one was a mess) the engine runs with the screw only a quarter of a turn open. Half a turn is way to rich and the engine floods out. Looking closer at the mixer and putting a light down the hole where the mixer screw goes shows that the oriface that the needle goes into is almost a 1/8" hole I've yet to determine if this hole is threaded and should have a brass jet screewed into it. I took a piece of 12 gauge copper wire with insulation that I had laying around and fed it down the hole. Thinking that maybe there was a smaller metering hole under the hole I could see. Fed that piece of wire all the way down into gas that was in the "float bowl". I'm heading up to Canadiagua this weekend and hope to pick up a copy of a manual for this engine. That might shine more light on the situation for me. In the mean time anyone familiar with the insides of a Novo kero mixer?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2005, 05:21:55 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Novo Kero Mixer

Hank, a needle with a longer taper would be more sensitive. A quarter turn range is gonna be difficult for fine tuning adjustments
Old 08-11-2005, 05:41:10 AM
Registered-II

Yep, that was part of the idea of making the new needle. It's got a Long Long taper! And still just a 1/4 turn is it! I think the hole is way too big and will need to be bushed.

Thanks

Hank
Old 08-12-2005, 10:04:42 PM
Registered-III

Hank, If the engine runs o k with the needle only turned out one fourth turn then I fail to see the need for any thing being done as far as the orifice is concerned. I have had a lot of engines that ran with the needle only slightly open and ran well. If you put a smaller hole for the needle to seat it seems to me that then you will have to turn th needle open more to get the same amount of fuel which don't seem to me would solve any problem . I have never seen an old mixer like these old engines used that had a removable jet like a carburator of an automobile carb uses. Good luck in a good hobby. Joe Morris
Old 08-14-2005, 11:29:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,053 Posts

Hank, I had the same problem w/my 1-1/2 Novo gas mixer. When I first got it together & tried to start up, I set the needle according to the book,1-1/2 turns. I soon realized gas was running out everywhere, it was massively flooded. I ended up at 3/4 turn to start, & about 1/2 to run...I suspect the seat is rusted out in the iron body, my needle was in pretty good shape. I cleaned the body up w/the bead blaster, so prob. blew away all the rust that was in the seat, leaving the pits...Since it will shut off, I can kill the engine by closing it all the way, I decided to use it as is. I haven't been around enough Novos to know if this is a common problem, but mine runs fine like it is, a nice little engine, & popular at the show...
HTH-Ron in CO...
PS, this is at almost 5000 ft. altitude, so hardly any engine can be adjusted according to the book specs, which are always too rich-(sea level).