Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

brantford oil engine info

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1127 times

Old 08-12-2005, 10:32:52 PM
Registered

Default brantford oil engine info

A friend of mine who collects old machinery etc. has come up with an old engine it is a Brantford oil engine
Ker and Goodwin Mfg. Ltd.
Brantford Canada
under licence from RM HVD
Chicago USA
No. 470 6hp
Pat 1914
This is all that is on the name plate. He is an older gentleman who has no computer but is very mechanically adept. Knowing my passion for old tools etc. he has asked me to find out anything about it. History, any manuals available?, in general once restored how does one make it run, apparantly it has not ignition system, so he says. It seems like quite a gem although a tad massive and heavy.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2005, 11:38:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,584 Times in 941 Posts
Default Re: brantford oil engine info

This is an Hvid engine. Hvid licensed their compression ignition system to several manufacturers (including Sears and Cummins.) Try a Google search on it, and you'll find some info...
Old 08-22-2005, 01:38:22 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: brantford oil engine info

Stop in here: http://www.arcticrail.com/engines/en...hvidtitle.html and take a look. The Thermoil U manual will get you very close, the two are very similar in both design and operation. The Brantford will have an indexing throttle control rather than the Thermoil's knob type. It also has an adjustable air intake where the Thermoil intakes around the valve stem. I have a copy of a Brantford manual.....drop me a note with your email address and I will try to email you a copy this week.

Regards,
Kenny