Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Canandaiguia NY show

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1815 times

Old 08-14-2005, 10:04:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,058 Times in 350 Posts
Thumbs up Canandaiguia NY show

I went to Canandaiguia this weekend for the first time and met some of the fellow stackers while walking the grounds.. What a bunch of great guys !!! I must say that Canandaiguia is on my ( A+ ) List right along with Portland Ind.
It reminds me of the old Portland show in many ways and I hope to come back next year with my family for a longer stay !
It was well worth the 315 mi / 5 hr drive !

Randy Hart Ohio
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2005, 11:57:06 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Canandaiguia NY show

I went up on Thu and although I thought it was a great show, I personally like Coolspring better. I am not a huge fan of having to pay to have a membership to simply show my engines. They say exhibitors welcome on their webpage. I also haven't been to a show that has such a big problem with motorized carts. The show pwople who are driving Gators need to learn to slow down ESPECIALLY near large groups of people. I am not trying to rant or grumble though. I saw several eninges that I don't usually see. I particularly liked seeing the 1937 Lister Diesel. Just thought I would share my opinion.

The Simple Serf
Old 08-14-2005, 04:10:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

Canandaiguia was another great show this year. Just a bit of rain on Friday. Waited by the IHC engines on Thursday at 1:00 with Jim from Maryland and the rest of the days, well, er, I never made it. Just having to much fun. Paid my faimly dues of $8.00 and just real glad to help out. Hooked up with Ed Dina and the wife and I got to drive his Altman Taylor 30-60. What a beast it must have been to drive all day busting prarrie sod. Here's a photo of it, and another of some of the tractors at the show. THANKS Ed .
Attached Thumbnails
Mvc-009s.jpg   Mvc-011s.jpg  
Old 08-14-2005, 04:42:57 PM
Sponsor

Smile Re: Canandaiguia NY show

Hey Paul...Glad we met..We don't live that far from each other, but never met before and glad you had fun driving the AT...Next year try another tractor....The Canandaigua Show is just one of the best....Ed
Old 08-14-2005, 04:53:03 PM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

ON the phone with Jim Erdle RIGHT NOW Ed! NICE line of TRACTORS!
Craig
Old 08-15-2005, 06:19:36 PM

I've been to the Canandaiguia grounds for the John Deere Expo a couple times, but never for the Pageant of Steam. Hope to get there some day, sounds like one heck of a show. How's the fleamarket?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:03:59 PM
Registered-III

I went on Saturday for about 6 hours, and had a great time! 6 hours was nowhere near enough time to see the whole thing. I never even saw the tractor & plowing display in the field, sawmill, tractor pull, or much of the flea market. I spent 6 hours looking at engines. I ran my digital camera out of batteries- I thought something was wrong with them until I came home & noticed I'd shot 215 pictures, wow. I'm still sorting and editting them, and will eventually put some of them up on the web.

They had the giant Allis-Chalmers generator engine running, at about 20 RPM. This is a cool looking rig. Later, as I was leaving, I happened to walk around the back of the building, and there, like in the Wizard of Oz, was a couple of guys manning a hidden boiler that runs the giant engine inside. When you're inside the building watching things run, you have no idea that there's a couple of coal-shoveling guys out back!

Every year, one really cool/interesting thing seen there sticks out in my mind, and this year it was a snowmobile thing that was along the lines of a motorcycle. It was a commercially produced product, and had one ski on the front, and one narrow drive belt in the rear.

-Rick I.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:05:12 AM
Registered-II

$8.00 for a family membership? They charged me $10 It was a good show but what was with all the exhibitors including the vendors packing up and leaving so early on Saturday?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:08:47 AM
Registered-III

I wasn't able to go this year ,I went last year and though the show was excellent, where there alot of different Fairbanks Morse Engines since this was a Fairbanks Morse Featured show ? were the grounds a big mud pit like last year ?
~Jonathan
Old 08-17-2005, 09:56:11 PM
Subscriber

There was a 10hp Model N and a Jack of all trades in the feature area belonging to Otto Doyle,most of the other Fairbanks were in the engine rows.We had a little rain during the show,but the grounds stayed in good shape.I just got my last load out of there tonight and it always amazes me how quickly everything leaves after the show.Dave
Old 08-18-2005, 09:26:07 PM
Subscriber

This was my first time at Canandaigua. My family and I enjoyed the experience very much. I was intrigued by the interests and questions brought forth by the viewers concerning the display of engines that we brought. We plan to attend the show next year and maybe bring a different display of engeines with us. The weather was a bit humid, the flea market was good, and the working displays were excellent. We would like to personally thank all the members for going out of their way to make us feel welcome.
Jim S
Old 08-19-2005, 05:05:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

Jim: Glad you made it up and enjoyed the show. It was good to see you with your display. Thanks for comming to one of my favorite shows and sharing .
Old 08-19-2005, 08:30:23 AM
Registered-III

Any one see this while at the show?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050818/...BHNlYwNzc3JlbA--