Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Word to the wise...(READ IT!!!)

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1873 times

Old 08-20-2005, 10:30:53 PM
Registered-III

Default Word to the wise...(READ IT!!!)

today I did my normal...wake up, start up my computer and then go get somthing to eat...then head back and hit the stak-but my hard drive had died...thats it, done, cooked, to old, thibbbbbbbttt, croked you get the idea...and with it, I lost all of my old engine pictures from my first engine restoration (my jaeger) all the pictures from all the shows...all the pictures of my engines when I found them...all the plans I had drawn up (like the ones for the steam whistle with numbers that I can only get if I tear the whistle down) all of the old engine and tractor links, all of the pictures I saved from web sites to use as refrence for my self...a very nice large essay on diesel engines. I LOST EVERY LAST DARN THING- my point...do not let this happen to you...please. it just ruins your day...so much info...GONE- Please BACK UP YOUR FILES...I sure as heck wish I did...I am not too sure of what all I lost..there was so much. And it hit my wallet very hard...

Mac Leod
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2005, 10:45:49 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Word to the wise...(READ IT!!!)

Don't give up. If you live near a large metro area check around for companies that recover data from damaged or not working hard drives. Just because it will not run is no indication that the data is damaged or gone. If it's that important as you state, then do some research and get the stuff recovered.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:07:50 PM
Registered-III

Mac,
I am sorry to hear about your computer problems, with in the last 6 years I had 4 Hard drives go bad on me, in fact the new computer I am using right now came from the factory with was it called a "bad hard drive image" right out of the box after a few hours with tech support and some CDs it was back up and running. Back a couple of years when one drive failed and I needed to get some data back, a friend of my fathers came over and used a program called Ghost by Norton the same company who makes the antivirus software, the company same is systematic, what this program did was some how find the files and same them to DOS, at the time I had windows 98 I think, the program worked great and I am sure there are others out there that will do the same. Also Bryan is right there are companies out there, that specialize in data recovery, from what your post says it would be worth wild to seek out one of these companies and give it a shot especially if you have the amount of important stuff on your drive. Just before I got this computer, I was using my old computer, which had two hard drives one for document storage and one for the operating system and programs, the hard drive with all the documents and stuff, decided that it wasn't going to be able to be accessed anymore, and would not show up on the computer at all, after doing some research on hard drive recovery, I did as one person suggested, unplug and plug the cable back in, I did it and it worked, I then backed up all files.
I was a criminal justice major in college, and I know that police agencies can take a burnt hard drive and pull information off it, during a computer crime investigation, anything is possible
good luck
~ Jonathan
You gave about the best advice back up your files!!!
Old 08-20-2005, 11:20:47 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
You gave about the best advice back up your files!!!
I have given this advise in the past. Many times. BUT, no one listens. It is to easy to ignore. It will save you a lot of furstation if you just copy your data to disk. (BACK UP)

Now, you are on your own.

Jim
Old 08-21-2005, 12:40:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,374 Posts

There are many small shops that specialize in fixing home computers and recovering data. I had a smiliar experience and while they were not able to save everything, they got back enough that made it worthwhile.
As far as saving / back-up information: my digital camera is a Sony Mavica that stores pictures directly to a 3-1/2" floppy disc (no memory card), so once I shoot a bunch of pictures and fill it up, I can re-name, edit, correct color, brightness & contrast, etc. When I get a stack of floppies all filled, and find the time to sit down and take care of it, I burn all of these pictures onto a CD-R. It is not as high a resolution as some newer cameras, and the average picture is somewhere in the neighborhood of 60kb. With a CD-R capable of holding 700mb, I could put thousands of pictures on one CD. I don't, but I could... It won't cure all of my woes if my computer crashes & burns, but at least I have my engine pictures.
John Newman, Jr.
Saint Louis, MO
Old 08-21-2005, 02:27:19 AM
Registered-III

Ok, i've got to compare stories with you..At the office...i've had an old computer for the last 6 or 8 years...The i-t fellow has for the past year told me he had my new replacement computer on a shelf in his office. wanted to get with me about transfering ALL the past years work onto the new harddrive... anyway i went on a long vacation(never do that) and when i got back i had my new computer Great i thought...super fast, great big flat screen, all my work in a file labled "old computer" on the second day, i cranked up the new one and it locked up, at start up...hard drive sounding like a 9 inch side grinder... the i-t fellow says " i think i moved your old files,,,not copied)....all gone....all gone.... the backing up was suppost to be done automatically to the local network......seems that didn't happen either... bright side...i don't think all the written proof of past blunders and mistakes i have comitted are gone...might be a good thing.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:20:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Leod
today I did my normal...wake up, start up my computer and then go get somthing to eat...then head back and hit the stak-but my hard drive had died...thats it, done, cooked, to old, thibbbbbbbttt, croked you get the idea...
Mac:

In the years I've been doing the "infernal machines", I've had several hard drives fail.

Back in the DOS days, all you needed was a stack of floppy disks and a half hour or so to do your backup.

Nowadays with Windoze and fat files, what I do is to buy a new hard drive with at least the same capacity or a little larger than the one that's in the machine at the time. They're so cheap now, it's easy.

Then I set the machine up for the second drive, making sure it's still booting Windoze off the original drive.

With Norton Ghost, you boot up to DOS from the floppy it comes on and from there, you can mirror image your bootable drive to the new drive.

With the image on the second drive, if your main drive croaks, you can just switch them in SETUP and boot off the image. Since the "backup" is an exact image of the original, Windoze will not know that it's running from a different physical drive.

All you gotta do is to remember to run Ghost every week or so to keep your image up to date.

Anyhoo - that's how I do it. Your mileage may vary (and probably will!)

Take care - Elden
Old 08-23-2005, 02:09:05 PM
Registered-II

Remove your hard drive from the PC, place it into your freezer for a couple of hours, then re-install it. If it boots, which it probably will, quickly back everything up.

John
Old 08-23-2005, 02:18:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 495 Posts

Hey guys how about paper? Thats the origional storage technology. I found a cheep supply of acid free paper and hoarded a life time supply. Every digital picture image I ever saved, I also printed out on either or both photo paper and/or acid free paper. I also backup images and letters on disks, but I dont trust any electronic medium. I have a big file cabinet for engine stuff and other files. I also save real books and catalogs. If I buy a cd copy of litterature. I print it out and even do my own bindings. Old iron, old paper, old brass, old,old,old.... never go wrong, older is better.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:20:48 PM
Fermanides

Now there is a wonderful item on the market for home users to protect their data – external USB Hard Drives. They are made by several manufacturers and they come with useful backup software. I setup mine to backup only my data, not program applications and such. (If you were to have a computer failure you should "reinstall" applications rather than restore them from a backup file) After the initial backup I find that it is taking less than ˝ minute daily to backup any changes in my data folders. This is all done automatically. These drives are available at stores such as Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City, and ect. The cost is less than one-hundred dollars and up.