Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Scale steam engine

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 16275 times

Old 08-22-2005, 09:15:17 PM
Subscriber

Default Scale steam engine

I have recently purchased a scale modell steam engine with a six inch fly wheel.
The piston, cylinder, and valve mechanism are missing. I have gathered material to make a piston, cylinder, and piston rod. What I need help with is this. I am not sure how the valving works to control the piston travel. Dose the valve allow the piston to be powered in both directions? Or is it powered only in one direction, and the fly wheel carrys it thru to the next power stroke?

If any one has drawings or a picture of the valve chest required to run this model I would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!!!! Tim
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2005, 12:19:45 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Scale steam engine

Tim, Let me start with this disclaimer. I have only been building steam engine models for a couple of years and there are many, many people out there who know a lot more than I do. With that said, let me say that there have been hundreds if not thousands of designs for steam engines. Some receive steam at each end of the stroke and some receive it at only one end. The valving which can also be of several different designs is generally controlled by an eccentric that is attached to the "crankshaft". The basic principal of all steam engines is the same. When the piston is at approximately the top of its stroke the inlet valve is opened to allow steam into the cylinder. The pressure causes the piston to move to the other end. At that point the exhaust valve opens and it either coast back due to the flywheel action or the same operation is repeated at the other end. If you could email me a picture of what you have it would be a great help.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:38:55 AM
Registered-III

I would recomend downloading this program,, i find it quite interesting, first you have to choose wich style you want to use, theres many more then this but i'd say, the link or Woolf, there likely the most info out there for them this is a wonderfull site http://www.tcsn.net/charlied/ you can change dimentions as needed, if fooled around quite a bit with it let me know if you have problems mail me cepyelland@hotmail.com
Old 08-23-2005, 01:41:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,374 Posts

This was my first home-made steam engine. Crude, but it runs (on compressed air).
Assuming that your engine is not of the oscilating cylinder type, it is probably double acting - pressure applied to both sides of the piston providing power on both strokes. Your valve will then need to be admitting pressure to one side and at the same time allowing the other side to vent. At the end of the piston's stroke the valve will then reverse the direction of pressure & venting. The valve will need to be timed so that it is at its maximum stroke when the piston is at midpoint of its stroke - this is 90 deg. off of the main crank. On the picture above, note that the pressure inlet is in the center of the valve chest. Lines to the front & back of the cylinder are on the bottom just fore & aft of the inlet and the exhaust ports are on the top at the far ends of the valve body. The hastily drawn sketches below show the path of the pressure and venting along with the position of the valve rod inside at the ends of its stroke. The drawing is based on the valve I made for the engine shown above and is only a rough guide as to how pressure is routed to and from the cylinder. You will need to adapt the principle to suit the needs and design of your particular engine.
I always check this board, so if I can answer any further questions- just ask. There are probably many others who know a lot more than I do......
Good luck,
Attached Thumbnails
steam valve.jpg  

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 08-23-2005, 06:19:53 AM
Registered-II

Have a look at this web page Howstuffworks.com and it will help a lot.
http://travel.howstuffworks.com/steam1.htm
Old 08-23-2005, 09:02:39 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith S
Tim, Let me start with this disclaimer. I have only been building steam engine models for a couple of years and there are many, many people out there who know a lot more than I do. With that said, let me say that there have been hundreds if not thousands of designs for steam engines. Some receive steam at each end of the stroke and some receive it at only one end. The valving which can also be of several different designs is generally controlled by an eccentric that is attached to the "crankshaft". The basic principal of all steam engines is the same. When the piston is at approximately the top of its stroke the inlet valve is opened to allow steam into the cylinder. The pressure causes the piston to move to the other end. At that point the exhaust valve opens and it either coast back due to the flywheel action or the same operation is repeated at the other end. If you could email me a picture of what you have it would be a great help.
Keith, your discription is very helpfull. You will be hearing from me in the near futurre with a photo. Tim
Old 08-23-2005, 09:33:20 PM
Subscriber

Dan, Thanks for this information. The site had exactly what I was looking for Thanks
again. Tim
Old 08-23-2005, 09:37:07 PM
Subscriber

Hi John, Found your engine very interesting, What is your valve chest made from or out of?? Also your discription of operation was very helpfull. Thanks. Tim
Old 08-25-2005, 03:10:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,374 Posts

The valve chest is a round bar of a material called Beryllium Copper. I found it in the scrap bin where I used to work, thinking it was bronze. This stuff is incredibly tough! I had to use a carbide reamer to get the hole true the full depth. The valve rod is stainless steel. The flywheel is 8" dia. X 1-1/2" thick. It was the cut off end of a bar of material. I was a frequent shopper at the scrap bin.....
I have included some pictures below showing the valve in a little better detail along with the operating rod crank.
Attached Thumbnails
valve chest.jpg   valve rod.jpg  

I Can Probably Fix That