Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

alternative fuels

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 2109 times

Old 08-23-2005, 12:49:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,340 Times in 438 Posts
Default alternative fuels

i have a question on using differnt fuels. one of my mechanic buddies was fooling around the other day and asked me what would happen if i tried to run a hitnmiss engine on nitro-methane. i told him that i didn't know, but he should buy his own engine to try it with and tell me about it! i also want to know if you can run a full scale engine on coleman fuel. i know this is what most model guys use. what are your thoughts on naptha? thanx
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2005, 01:12:29 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: alternative fuels

All three fuels will run just fine. Remember you're working with low compression, so don't expect any power improvement over gasoline.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:30:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts

Naptha and Coleman fuel are the same thing.

Take care - Elden
Old 08-23-2005, 01:35:40 PM
Subscriber

there aren't any timing issues that need to be addressed? i thought you would have to retard the spark to tdc to run on nitro. im gonna have to try it.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:42:29 PM
Chris Curtis

I started using camping fuel (naphtha) in my full size engines this summer and highly recommend it. There is much discussion about this in the archives- do a search. Nitromethane is grossly expensive and will be of no benefit as it only releases its power under high compression (racing engines).
Old 08-23-2005, 01:48:39 PM
Chris Curtis

One other thought on Nitromethane is that it attracts water like a sponge. Not something you would want to store in your gas tank for a long period of time. I have to wonder- what goal are you trying to achieve by running such a fuel in an antique engine? Just curious.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:56:42 PM
Registered-III

I have a JD D that I run old gas in and it doesn't seem to mind. If you pop the cover off the tank it smells like paint thinner.

Forrest A
Old 08-24-2005, 12:04:22 AM
Subscriber

i was just curious and driving in my van with my engines was giving me a headache. i've heard of the amish using "white gas"/naptha in diesels. i tried the nitro just cause i found a jug of it in the shop. i couldn't get my stover to run on it. the explosions were tooooo weak and it was just firing every 4 revolutions. i'm going to try the naptha though.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:36:28 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,027 Posts
Exclamation Re: alternative fuels

Putting Nitro in a hit & Miss engine, would be like putting a stick of dynamite in the combustion chamber. I wouldn't want to be any wheres near it on the first compression stroke, much less the second! The higher combustion pressures, and hotter temps would tend to blow out the head gasket at the very least , at worst, you could blow off the head, or even worse yet, the cylender assembly off the block Naptha is a low yeild fuel, and it too attracts moisture. It also is corrosive. Coleman fuel is also cooler burning, you won't want to leave it in a brass and zinc or aluminum carb for long though - it promotes galvanic (electric) activity between the brass and the other dissimillar metals!
Andrew
Old 08-24-2005, 07:35:18 AM
Registered-II

I have been using the walmart latern fuel(ozarth trail stuff or something like that) been very pleased with the way engines start & run, but have had a check ball stick once or twice. I have mixed about 80 to 1 of 2 cycle mix & i have never had anymore trouble with anything since then, 3 months everything ok, but i will watch the carb. thing that Andrew was talking about!
Thanks Andrew for the infor.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:24:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoogie
i was just curious and driving in my van with my engines was giving me a headache. i've heard of the amish using "white gas"/naptha in diesels.
I would never recommend using naptha in a Diesel because the injector pump and pintles need the lubricating qualities of the fuel oil to keep from being destroyed.

Take care - Elden
Old 08-24-2005, 11:49:28 AM
Subscriber

I get white camping stove gas for nuthin' at yard sales. People will give it away just to get rid of it. I've only run my Fairbanks headless on it so far and it runs great.

I don't put any oil in it- the piston is already oily from the drip oiler. I'll try a 3hp ZA today, maybe. It hasn't run in over a year. Bet it starts right up, too!

Mountaineers out my way have used this gas for light weight hiking stoves for many years. R.E.I. and others sell "Sigg" bottles for lightweight fuel toting and they are made of spun aluminum. One of the long time favorite "stoves" is the tiny Svea 123, made of brass, burns white gas.

Neither of these items have corrosion problems related to the white gas.
My Svea is over 30 years old. I bought it from a pal who hadn't used in for about 10 years. The gas in the tank had formed a large, hard wax ball that was floating around in the tank. I had to reach into the little fill hole and bust it up with a wood dowel in order to remove it. Of course, who knows, maybe the fuel had been contaminated along the years.

On the other hand, my Dad gave me an old can of white gas that he'd had for 25 years or more. I burned it in the headless, no problem. I tried this stuff after reading about it on this site. It seems to burn without much smell or smoke and I like that!!
Old 08-25-2005, 03:04:00 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

At the local fair last week we ran a engine on racing fuel with a octane rating of 110 and it ran fine all day long did not miss a beat at all.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:34:56 PM
Registered-III

Hello from Wisconsin!!
Try this site on gasoline, www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part1
This tells a lot about gasoline......
Old 08-25-2005, 03:35:37 PM
Registered-II

Any what was the price tag on racing fuel over their to run that engine? Have tried that & found out that when its cold (OH) early spring or late fall have some problem with starting, plus the price $$$
Old 08-26-2005, 03:48:58 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDilgard
Any what was the price tag on racing fuel over their to run that engine? Have tried that & found out that when its cold (OH) early spring or late fall have some problem with starting, plus the price $$$

I'm not too sure on how much he spent on the 5? gallon can of it. He may have even gotten it donated since he works at the place he got it for. I'm sure it wouldnt have been cheap to get if he bought it, probably would have cost around 50~70 dollars for it