Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

John Deere Model E leaking gas

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 2486 times

Old 08-29-2005, 12:04:05 PM
Registered-I

Default John Deere Model E leaking gas

I saw numerous 1.5 horse engines at Portland this last weekend... almost all were leaking gas out the air intake. Well, needless to say, mine does the same. Is this due to a bad seat the needle sits in? Or are there other issues at play here? I am ready to paint it up and get it completed, but would like to get this fixed first. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2005, 12:25:01 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts
Default Re: John Deere Model E leaking gas

How far open is your needle valve? My engine runs comfortably with 1/2-3/4 of a turn open and doesn't leak fuel. The engine can only suck in so much fuel on the intake stroke, with the rest running back down the air intake. Only a guess on my part. I use Coleman fuel which evaporates before it has a chance to leak.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:36:22 PM
Registered-I

I use gas also... I can run the engine at about 1 turn open and the choke about a little more than half way open. I can turn the needle valve closed to about 1/4 open but have to have the choke almost completely closed - but it still drips gas pretty good.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:07:03 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

The choke should be open all the way when running. There was a couple of john deere engines at the local show last week and they werent leaking fuel at all. If the choke has to be kept closed to have it running something isnt right with the carb. good luck with it
Old 08-29-2005, 11:26:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,011 Posts

Since when does a John Deere NOT leak anything
Old 08-30-2005, 01:20:00 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

When they were brand new maybe. They fling oil pretty good also
Old 08-30-2005, 08:08:34 AM
Registered-III

Every collector should have a J D engine, helps you appreciate the finer things in life, LOL
Old 08-30-2005, 09:14:27 AM
Registered-I

It will run fine with the choke open all the way, I just keep it closed off a bit to try and keep the gas from coming out. Not sure what else could be causing it to leak though... probably is the carb.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:38:05 AM
Registered-II

Oh BS, A Deere stationary won't leak a drop if you do things right.

First, they should always run choke open, no more than 3 turns open on the valve. If it's not (mine won't currently) then we aren't getting fuel. My problem, and typically the case when a Deere is doing this, the check valve arrow in the fitting at the fuel tank is all plugged up and stuck with varnish. You'll have to pull the tank, remove and clean that valve, then it'll run right again.

The oil flinging problem...yes, it was a problem. Deere saw that too. In 33 they cast in a passive crankcase breather. It'll be right behind the water hopper. It'll be a cup about 2" by 1" with a bolt in the middle of it. Removing that bolt will expose a hole to the crankcase. Inside the cup there should be a leather valve. Loosen the bolt while the engine is running to allow the crankcase to vent and you'll have no more oil running out of the mag or main bearings.

If you don't have this cup on your engine, then you'll do like I did on my pre-33 engine. (BTW this is the typical and approved in-field repair by Deere) Remove the crankcase cover, drill and tap (Carefully) the cover for 1/2" pipe. Add a close nipple, and 2 street-L's. Replace the cover with a new gasket and repair any ruined gaskets from blow-by earlier. That procedure solved the problem for me. Mine doesn't leak a drop of oil now.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:50:23 AM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas_Farmer
You'll have to pull the tank, remove and clean that valve, then it'll run right again.
You should just be able to pull the fuel line without dropping the tank. Take it loose from the mixer first, then unscrew the fitting at the base. The fuel line should pull out without any problem.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:55:13 AM
Registered-II

I can't, tried that. I'll have to bend up the line and end up making a new one or pull the tank. I need to pull my tank anyway, as it's full of crap.

However, I thought and still do think one should be able to get that line out of there without pulling tank, I just can't with mine is all.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:55:40 PM
Registered-III

This is not intended to be argumentive or a smart remark, but show me one J D that will run without the choke plate being partially closed and I will show you 10 that won't Its just the nature of MOST ALL these old engines especially the hit and miss ones to leak a little gas out of the mixer especially when they are running slow. I have seen very few that did not leak oil out of the mains and around the magneto. Joe Morris
Old 08-31-2005, 02:51:19 AM
Subscriber

Aloha Guys,

For whatever it is worth, my 1924 JD E 3 HP runs fine with the choke all the way open, and only 1/4 turn open on the needle valve. No fuel leaking from the air intake. Any more open on the needle valve & it is obvious that she is too rich. Starts with full choke, needle valve @ 1/4 turn, open the choke plate as soon as she kicks off, which is almost always on the third time through compression.

But,,, if the fuel screen starts to get plugged up, then the needle valve needs to be opened more,,, which tells me it is time to pull the fuel line & wipe off the gunk from the bottom of the screen.

On oil leakage, it seeps some from the mains. I've drilled holes through the top two governor plate machine screws to provide some breathing, helped a lot.

Chuck