Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Standard Monarch Tractor

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 5137 times

Old 01-02-2006, 09:37:59 PM
Registered

Smile Standard Monarch Tractor

Hi, I am new to this forum. Recently purchased an old Standard Monarch Tractor with a sickle mower. Need all kinds of info. Tractor is not running and would like to be able to restore the tractor. Thanks for your help.
Wayne
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2006, 10:04:39 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Standard Monarch Tractor

What type is your Monarch? Is it a single or twin cylinder? I also have a Monarch that runs and is all complete except for the wheels. I think the Monarch is a single and the Standard Walsh or Welsh is the 2 cylinder.Dan sheldon
Old 01-02-2006, 10:13:20 PM
Registered

It's a single cylinder.
Wayne Taylor
Old 01-02-2006, 10:22:50 PM
Registered-III

Take a look.

http://www.donaldantiquerototillers....ard_text1.html
Old 01-02-2006, 10:33:55 PM
Registered-III

Hey thanks alot Bill, according to that web page mine is a 1940. I didn't know that. Dan Sheldon
Old 01-02-2006, 10:53:22 PM
Registered

Thanks Don. Looks like my tractor is a 1949 model. I plan to contact that site and see if they still have manuals available.
Anyone else that has any parts available, let me know. Looks like I need a mag. for sure and not sure what else yet?
Wayne
Old 01-02-2006, 11:20:13 PM
Subscriber

Wooden or metal handles? Steel wheels or rubber tires? Coil and battery, or magneto ignition?

Best advice I can give you is to get your hands on a manual BEFORE you start tinkering. Bill S. has provided a link for Donald Jones' website. See if he can provide you with a reprint manual.

Word of caution. There is a large plug on the bottom of the crankcase which appears to be a drain plug. This is actually the oil pump. If it is removed and tilted, small parts can fall out. Also, if you remove the sickle bar mower, be sure and have the tractor propped up. Without an attachment on it, the tractor will try to fall forward. I've seen some with broken fins on the front of the cylinder, making me suspect that they had fallen over.

The connecting rod used in these tractors appears to be a Model T Ford unit. The "FORD" logo is stamped on the rod. Some folks will tell you that the piston is also a Model T piston. This is not possible, because the Monarch piston is not the same size as the Model T piston.

I've been fooling with Monarchs for several years now, and think they are rugged, easy starting tractors.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:45:11 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Standard Monarch Tractor - Yahoo Group

There is a Yahoo group for folks interested in the Standard Twin and Monarch tractors. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StandardTwin/
Old 01-03-2006, 10:58:39 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Standard Monarch Tractor

Tom,

My tractor has metal handles and rubber tires. Don't know about battery and coil or magneto as it is missing as is the starting mechanism.
I plan to contact Donald Jones to check for a manual.

Thanks for the info.

Wayne Taylor
Old 01-03-2006, 07:41:09 PM
Registered-III

Mine is battery ignition with steel wheels and lugs.I do have the wheels but they aren't on the machine right now.steel handles also. Had the orginal hand crank but that got stolen at a flea market where I was selling. Oh well, hope the person that stole it breaks their thumb. Dan Sheldon
Old 01-03-2006, 09:37:04 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Taylor
My tractor has metal handles and rubber tires. Don't know about battery and coil or magneto as it is missing as is the starting mechanism. Wayne Taylor
If yours has metal handles, it is a later style tractor, and probably has a lawn mower type magneto. The flywheel will have a magnet in it, and the points and coil will be under the flywheel. Look at your flywheel shroud. The old style will have a wire mesh in the center. The flywheel will be a heavy iron unit. The new style will have a flywheel shroud with a lot of small holes punched into it, forming a pattern - no mesh screen. The flywheel will be a light aluminum unit. If you have the aluminum flywheel, the mageto is under the flywheel, like a lawn mower.

Quick history lesson. Older units had wooden plow handles. Newer units had metal handles. Early units had a battery box behind the cylinder which held four dry cells and a buzz coil. For an extra charge, you could get a tractor with a bolt on, self contained magneto. Later, all tractors had a built in, lawn mower type magneto. Steel wheels were offered all years of manufacture. Rubber tires were an option.

You say the starter mechanism is missing. All of these tractors were hand crank start. Look between the flywheel shroud, and the fuel tank bracket. Do you see something that looks like a short cast iron tube? The starting crank inserts here. The starting crank engages the camshaft, NOT the crankshaft. It may sound funny, but that's the way it was made.

There are two different manuals. One covers the newer style tractors with flywheel magneto, the other manual covers the coil & battery/ bolt on magneto style tractors.

Study the tractors on Don Jones' website. That should help you with the basics.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:20:25 PM
Registered-I

where can i get parts for my standard monarch? i need rings, a main bearing and a wrist pin bearing. with those things this thing should run like new. also can someone tell me how to wire in a battery for easier starting?

THANKS!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:20:34 PM
Registered

Wayne, i have a 1934 single monarch walk behind. I`m in need of a flywheel guard and a zenith #7138 carb---a or b. Know of anyone that have those parts?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:33:22 AM
Subscriber

Walsh is a single cylinder 2 1/2 HP, Monarch is a single cylinder 3 1/2 HP, Twin is a twin cylinder 5 HP.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:55:58 PM
Registered

i also have a single monarch that i can`t seem to get running.it`s got blow- by out of the carb,and it will putt every so offen.i`m in need of a flywheel cover and the correct carb, #7138-----thanks joe cargola