Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Pictures of "Stuff" from my Gallery

this thread has 215 replies and has been viewed 202065 times

Old 06-28-2006, 08:20:26 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Pictures of "Stuff" from my Gallery

Gary,The first picture brings back memories of when I first went to work with the local phone company and I had to climb through 5 crossarms to get to the top.The lines where not hot except when someone would ring on the line and then wow .There are 10 lines on each arm and it takes 2 lines to make one phone line and back when I first started to work in 1966 there where 10 people on one line and very few private lines.Now there are up to 3000 lines in one cable about 3 inches in diameter and the new fiber optic with thousands of lines in a cable the size of you little finger.Thanks for the picture. Benny
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2006, 01:23:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 7,528 Times in 1,948 Posts

Benny,
I'm glad the photo brought back such fine memories to you! You speak of no voltage, but I'm thinking of times when I'd bumped into the connections on my old crank phone (pictured earlier in this thread) while cranking... Was it anything like that? There is voltage there. I remember how our neighbors got on the line and you could barely hear the party you were talking to.

It also reminded me of something. The telephone and electrical lines all ran down Main Street in Lewistown, i.e., not down the alleys. There was a group of farmers who later bought up all of the rights of way down Lewistown's alleys. Years later, when the city fathers wanted to remove their poles from Main Street, they ran into a roadblock with the farmers. The Great Falls Electric company tried to buy the rights of way in the alleys, but no deal. The farmers negotiated to receive power for their farms. I remember there were (are?) still poles with those lines into Lewistown through my uncle Charley's field.

The farmers formed an association and sent president Julius Tresch and secretary, uncle Charley Yaeger to Washington to talk to our congressmen. As a result, Rural Electrification Association (REA) certificate number one went to Julius Tresch and certificate #3 went to uncle Charley. The first REA sub station went on the Yaeger Brother's property north of Glengarry and still is in use there. It was discovered about 7 or 8 years ago that the REA didn't have ownership of the sub station property. My cousin Bob, who is my oldest cousin on our generation "traded" underground power to three subdivisions planned on that property, for a deed. No... I don't know who got REA certificate #2? The Glengarry, Montana community was the first REA project west of the Mississippi... All due to some foresight of a handful of Judith Basin area farmers.
Gary

Last edited by 20 Reeves Highwheeler; 06-28-2006 at 01:39:57 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:33:34 PM
Registered-III

I ran into this photo of my wife's uncle Ralph Simpson and the touring car "automobile" he had to drive to high school at Moore, Montana in the 1920s. I know it was an affordable used car for him, but haven't ever known what brand it is? There isn't someone out there in SmokStak land who would know? It has "Prestolite" powered carbide headlights and kerosene side lamps. The seats appear to be genuine pleated leather and the top must be in pretty fair condition? It is likely a circa 1912-15? It is kind of a classic design, while quite crude appearing. Maybe John Davidson will know what it is?
Thanks,
Gary

Old 06-28-2006, 03:39:35 PM
Registered-III

This first photo is of my Grandpa Hamilton's (I think?) Buick Touring car with its isinglass weater curtains installed. L-R: Grandpa Sam, Grandma Maude, my mother - Florence, Uncle Jimmy, Uncle Robert and Uncle George Hamilton. Aunt Ann took the photo, so is not in it. I am headed to the Judith Basin tomorrow (June 29) and plan to visit Uncle George, who is 92 years old. He is the last of my mother and father's generation.

Although times were hard and my dad often stated, "All we ever did was work", this photo shows someone is "funnin'" someone else, here in the Yaeger harvest field. Notice the old, old saddle is on the horse backward. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet my last nickel that is Dad hanging onto the horse's reins? Everyone else appears to be "yucking it up?"

This is TC Powers Block-P packet steamboat, Helena. It is shown at the confluence of the Milk River on the Missouri River in Montana. There sure are a bunch of passengers. I don't know the occasion? Notice the "grasshopper" poles on the front of the steamboat. They were powered by ropes on a steam powered windlass and pushed the center poles down into the Missouri's mud, lifting the front of the boat off of sand bars, so they could back away from being stuck.

Jefferson Davis Simpson of Moore, Montana owned these two automobiles. I was told by my father in-law Lynn Simpson, one was an Oldsmobile V-8, which I'd say "left", and the other was said to be a King Eight. Jeff was my wife's grandfather.
Gary

Old 06-28-2006, 04:03:17 PM
Registered-III

Since I will be gone from here for at least a week, I am posting an extra four photos for your pleasure. The Good Lord willing, I will be back posting later next week.

This is another photo of TC Power's Block-P Helena in the upper Missouri Breaks taken in 1875, during the time my grandfather, Frank Anton (Jager) Yaeger worked for the Block-P packet.

This is a photo my good friend Jim Kajiwara of Whitefish, Montana allowed me to copy of his father and his Indian motorcycle. Mr. Kajiwara came to America from Japan to work on the Great Northern Railway. My friend, Jim, also worked his career with the GNRY B&B gang, retiring 23 years ago.

Jim Kajiwara also allowed me to copy this photo. It shows three Japanese business men, well dressed, with their circa 1907 touring car. (I'd love to know the manufacturer of this automobile) Notice the sign on Whitefish's Central Avenue stating "Oriental Trading Company". These men worked with the Great Northern Railway, securing Oriental Immigrants to America to work for Jim Hill's GNRY. The OTC covered their transportation to Whitefish from the Orient and provided "living space" inside (the basement) the Oriental Trading Company, for a percentage of their wages.

Montanans have always been "ribbed" about our sheep. Sheep herder's jokes abound, still today. Actually, Wyoming's sheep population outnumbers Montana's. (B.K., Australia has a few too, don't they?) This photo shows two sheep herders, their dogs, their horses and their sheep wagon during a Montana winter. It was a lonely life, I'm told, but it was steady work and they got three squares a day, furnished by the sheep's owner.

I'm going to say, "So long, but I'll be Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!"
Gary

Old 06-28-2006, 09:37:41 PM
Registered-II

Highwheeler---

Hurry on back----or you will be holding up my history lesson down here in Mississippi.

Really have enjoyed all of the old black and whites from the early settlement days----I "imagine" in my mind a lot of similarity of the times and area to the late 1800's in Nebraska. My great grandaddy settled in Nebraska in 1856--1857 after having gone to California to the gold rush---returning home to Vermont and marrying his sweetheart and starting back out to California again. They saw so many folks heading west to California that he decided to stop and "mine the miners"-----they opened up a trading post and saw mill along with developing a farming operation in Cass County, Nebraska.

My granddaddy purchased land here in the Mississippi Delta in 1902 after having made friends with some good ol Mississippi boys in Cuba during the Spanish American War. Unfortunately, my dad lost all of the old photos in a house fire in 1930----so I've been really enjoying my trip back in time compliments of you.

Must have gotten my "southern draaaawwwwl" from my mother's side----they came to Mississippi from Georgia in 1800. Reckon I must be sorta what you might call a "half breed". Gonna let you slide for right now bout that kin ship with U. S. Grant (don't reckon we have any control on where we came from----ain't got much control on where we are headed!!)

Delta Dirt
Old 06-28-2006, 11:17:16 PM
Registered-III

Delta Dirt,
I hadn't noticed your drawl until you mentioned it.

I was wondering when one of my readers would remark about old USG. If you notice, everytime I mention USG, I also mention that my wife's grandfather was also a second cousin to Jefferson Davis. He was president of the confederacy and maybe a little closer to your heart? I know Missouri "isn't really south" to an old Mississippi boy, but three of my four grandparents emigrated from Missouri to Montana. My son Mike has mentioned over in the steam area that in Helena, Montana, has the northern most monument to the confederacy. While in the military in KY, years and years ago, we Montanans seemed to be accepted by everybody, as we were "too far removed" to be aware of the Civil War. USG is also on the $50 bill and I don't know what any Montanan could ever do to get his picture on a US bill? Not much, I don't think. I requested my picture be placed on a US bill, but it was rejected.

See you next week, ya'all hear!
Gary
Old 06-29-2006, 06:26:28 AM
Registered-III

Gary,The old magneto that you cranked put out the same voltage as to what the phone company generates.When the picture was made everybody had crank phones to ring the line and the voltage was sent over the lines in the picture and was steped up with load coils at various distance from the office.I know one old man that wore inner tubes around his waist while working on the lines.Have you ever used the old magneto's to catfish with?It will get there attention. Later Benny SURE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THAT INDIAN MOTORCYCLE.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:23:13 AM
Registered-III

Benny,
Thanks for that information on that old technology. Yeah, I'd like that Indian motorcycle too.

I'll be back here next week. I have John Schrock from Michigan here working on my Case's boiler, so I am his flunky.
Gary
Old 07-10-2006, 10:04:53 PM
Registered-III

I'm Baaaaaaaaaack.

This is another old photo of threshing on our old farm in Montana's Judith Basin, circa 1910.

This is a picture I found in Grandmother Yaeger's photo box, sent to her from her second son, George during WW1. Uncle George was stationed at Ft. Lewis, Washington at the time of the photo. It appears to be some kind of patriotic day when civilians were invited to the post. Notice the old cars, but especially the old "Jenny" airplanes, with it's OX-5, V-8 engine, however it appears the propeller was removed. Perhaps as a safety thing? Maybe they had a water leak in the brass radiator?

My friend, the late Joel Overholzer, editor of the River Press at Fort Benton, Montana (the world's innermost port) allowed me to copy this photo of Piegan Indians camped in the Judith Basin.

This is a picture of Metis Indians with their squeaky wheel Red River Carts at the Culver Studio in Lewistown, Montana, circa 1890 and courtesy of my friend, the late George Brenner. George would oneday own the Culver Studio and its magnificent photo collection.
Gary

Old 07-11-2006, 05:48:05 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Pictures of "Stuff" from my Gallery

Welcome back cous'. We missed your photos and commentaries. Where was that George Brenner from. There used to be a photographer by that name here in Hammondsport, the original home of the Jenny, who was here in the late 1800's. Took many photos on glass plates which keep showing up. Dick in the warm and humid Beautiful Finger Lake Region of NYS.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:10:51 PM
Registered-III

Cousin Dick,
I can't remember when George Brenner wasn't in Lewistown, Montana. He may have moved there in the 1940s or 50s? He was about 20 years older than me. He and I were (in the mid-1950s) drummers in competing dance bands (actually called "orchestras" in that part of Montana, then) and enjoyed talking shop. He must have bought the Culver Studio in about 1970? The Culver collection had many, many fine old steam engine, gas tractor and threshing photos. He'd send me 5" X 7" copy photos for identification and I could keep the photo for the descriptions. I told George, I'd never mis-identify one. If I didn't KNOW, I wouldn't guess.

Then my wife wrote a book over five years, published in 2000, regarding the lives of my grandparents and the many hardships they suffered. I got the permission and photos for that book from him, for the "town" photos I submit. I miss stopping in Lewistown, walking upstairs to his apartment above the studio and having a good visit and checking out more old photos. I was just in Lewistown about 10 days ago and I find there are fewer and fewer old timers there to visit. I've been here in Montana's Flathead Valley for 25 years. Time changes much.
Gary
Old 07-12-2006, 02:34:48 PM
Registered-III

I am not just a steam guy trying to sneak in steam stuff here. I wanted you all to see the Albin Carlberg Sr. outfit in Canada in the old days. It shows the many bundle wagons and the huge thresher he powered with that 32hp Reeves cross compound Canadian Special. I count a dozen bundle wagons and two cook shacks. His son, Albin Jr., sent me his photos to copy. This engine now resides at Mount Pleasant, Iowa.

This is one more circa 1875 view of the Block-P steamboat Helena on the upper Missouri River, below Fort Benton, Montana Territory.

This is a photo I received from my friend, the late Joel P. Overholzer, former editor of the River Press at Fort Benton. It shows the second mud fort at the present location of that town. The original was downstream a few miles. I know I sound like a broken record (tick); broken record (tick); broken record (tick); broken record (rrrrrrrrip)... But Fort Benton is the world's innermost port. (I apologize to some young people that may not understand that last sentence )
Gary

Old 07-12-2006, 03:03:27 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Mckheean
Gary, SURE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THAT INDIAN MOTORCYCLE.
Benny,
If you liked that Indian, do you like this Harley-Davidson? This was my very good friend, the late Max Tyler of Moore, Montana on his "hog." I don't know the age of it, but judging from the age of the car, it must have been around 1930 or so? I don't know the brand of the car. Maybe someone else does? Max was a great steam man and a real advocate of the Reeves brand. He sure put together a "Cat" collection. He must have had around 60 crawler type, and a bunch of steel wheel tractors too.
Gary

Old 07-13-2006, 06:17:23 AM
Registered-III

Gary, One nice Hog,I have a friend that has one of those and he has restored it to the original condition.I am going to buy me a Indian if I every see one for sale. Nice pictures keep posting them. Benny
Old 07-14-2006, 01:32:17 PM
Registered-III

This is another photo of my uncle Orvis' 1918 Model T Touring Car, traveling in Montana. This car has standard 30"X3" wheels and tires on the front end. Many times, on the black radiator type Model Ts, they seemed to have optional 30"X3-1/2" on the front and were standard on the rear. Notice the car has both sizes of tires in the tire rack. And if the kids amongst us didn't realize it, the tires weren't blocking the driver's door. They were 3-door cars and the driver climbed over the side to get to his seat... Up until 1926, when Henry added another door. Demountable rims and self starters weren't yet available in 1918.

This is a photo taken circa 1915 at the Montana School for the Deaf and Blind, when located at Boulder, Montana. (Most Montanans think this school was always located in Great Falls.) My aunt May was third from the left. They were preparing to go on a camping trip. I don't know what the front touring car is, but the rear car is a Model T. I also had an uncle Bill at the school at this time. They got spinal menningitis at ages 3 & 4 and Grandma Yaeger had them ingest some chlorene bleach to kill the disease. The bleach ruined their ability for speach. Their hearing also left them. I'm not medically adept enough to know why, but I'd think the aspects speech and hearing were connected.

Yaeger Brothers moved "30 some" houses in hard times. They used their manpower and equipment to make enough money for operating capital for their farm. This photo shows them loading a fuel tank at Glengarry, Montana to move to the farm. I am guessing this is in the early 1930s, as this tank would be used for diesel fuel for their "new" McCormick-Deering TD-40 TracTracTor. It was one of the earliest TD-40s, used on the huge King Hutterite Colony and worn out in one year. The brothers bought the "trade-in" from the dealer and rebuilt it. It would eventually be joined by two others and would replace steam as the plowing tractors in 1939. Dad said they filled this tank once. (Can you imagine that today?) After that they just added a thousand or two, gallons each filling.

This photo shows the IHC Six Speed Special truck hauling the front of the Conoco fuel tank. This Six Speed also had a six cylinder motor. This was the only one they owned with that motor, and the only one with the headlights mounted on the side of the cab.
Gary

Last edited by 20 Reeves Highwheeler; 07-14-2006 at 01:41:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:09:54 PM
Registered-III

Hello again,
I'd kind of lost interest here since my "sabatical." Maybe I can scrounge up something? I noticed I'd posted one photo twice. I don't mean to do that.

This first photo shows my dad's sister, Margaret Shuckhart and three of her children and their old Overland Touring Car. They lived near Graceville, Minnesota. The picture would be very early 1920s and may have been taken while visiting Montana.

This is a photo of the late Louis Dietziger's "key of C" Hohner accordion. Louie ran the "laundry" at Glengarry, Montana when the population would have been around 8 people there. My son Mike has this accordion today. My big brother Bill bought it for a "dollar bill" when I was either a 2nd or 3rd grader at the school there. That was a real sacrifice, as in Montana at that time, we hardly ever saw a dollar bill. We maybe got one from an out of state relative for a birthday or Christmas in with the card. All we had were 1878 Morgan to 1923 Peace US silver dollars. I'll never forget that jingle when you had two or three in your pocket. It was just as memorable an experience as using the WPA outhouse at school.

The second accordion was Joe Yaeger's (my dad's) "Keys C & F" Venezia accordion and the case he made for it. (If you'd like a story about this accordion and its ties to "old iron", go to the Stationary Steam and Traction section and search for "Bull Rockin' the Cook Car".) My grandpa Frank A. (Jager), my dad, my brother Bill, me and my son Mike all had or have a genetic disorder described as "accordion playing."

It makes me wonder... How many of you accordion players play both, the piano and diatonic button accordion? I used to belong to a group of players and all (except me) either played one or the other. I'm just curious.

This is a picture of my native birthplace, Lewistown, Montana, taken from between 6th & 7th Avenue, between Main and Janeaux Streets, circa 1888. That was the first Lewistown school in the foreground. Grandpa Yaeger got stuck out front of the school in mud "up to the axle" in 1890. He was delivering grain he'd sold to T.C. Power and Brother, they used for feeding their freighter animals. Those are the Judith Mountains in the background.

This is a picture of Yaeger Brother's John Deere Track Loader at Joan, Montana (Pop. -0-), loading grain cars. Some of you are likely sharp enough to tell what engine it had on it? I know it had a later IHC LB (3?-5hp) when I was a kid.
Gary

Last edited by 20 Reeves Highwheeler; 07-20-2006 at 10:31:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:31:50 PM
Registered-III

This is my uncle Audie Yaeger driving a Hupmobile "buckrake" he and his brothers had built to bring hay to the hay stacker in a more rapid manner. This picture was taken around 1930 and notice Audie's engineer's cap. I'll bet if it was washed, it would show the polka dots a little more plainly on that Kromer cap. This was a 4th of July parade in Lewistown, Montana and I don't know who his passenger was. Our neighbor, Johnny Tresch, witnessed the "new" buckrake haying operation in use on the Yaeger farm and went home to tell his brother Julius, "Those Yaeger's, down there, are haying a 100 miles per hour!"
Gary

Old 07-20-2006, 08:12:42 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Pictures of "Stuff" from my Gallery

Hi Cous', have you got any pictures of a hay stacker. I find them very interesting. At a show a couple of years ago, I had read about them and then I ran into a gentleman from Colorado that had used them. Had a great conversation. At the time I was showing hay tracks, carriers and forks with a little demonstration rig I carry on my trailer. Dick in the hot and humid Finger Lake Region of NYS.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:41:41 AM
Registered-III

Hello to you Cous,
I had this one on my gallery, but have a better one somewhere that I can't find. This one shows the Overshot stacker Dad and his brothers had. That is Dad on top with the four tine pitchfork.
Gary