Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

A trailer full of Wheel Horse tractor

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 20139 times

Old 09-09-2006, 05:52:36 PM
lwhiway

Default A trailer full of Wheel Horse tractor

On my way out of Lake Charles, La, found me stopping at the smaller town of Iowa while I was heading East on Hiway 90. A friend told me of an old heavy Wheel Horse lawn/garden tractor with a few attachments that the owner was going to give away or junk after he removed the engine.

I stopped and was amazed at the shear size and weight of the tractor. The thickness's of sheet metal for fenders and engine coverings and the frame itself.

There was/is some disassembly of the engine and dust coverings etc., but it looks all to be complete, just in need of some extensive TLC.

Long story short, it was loaded up, (took 5 of us, as it would not roll), into the trailer and made the trip to Indian Bayou to the country/farm home.

I'll take pictures this afternoon and figure out how to post them here. I'm am in need of how and where to find the model numbers and such of the tractor and engine.

The engine is of a twin cylinder, horizontally opposed nature, looks like a Kohler type.

Tractor appears to be hydro-static in nature, as I see an aluminum pump of sorts with fins attached to the rear of the engine.

More to follow......This appears to be a nice "in the near future" re-bild and restoration. Seems that some of these can be out-fitted with front loaders and back-hoes. Might be fun to play with.

Thanks for allowing my new membership here.

LW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LH side of engine cover w decal (Small).jpg
Views:	1993
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	11229   Click image for larger version

Name:	RH front qtr tractor (Small).jpg
Views:	2730
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	11230   Click image for larger version

Name:	RH Frnt qtr Tractor and deck (Small).jpg
Views:	1400
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	11231   Click image for larger version

Name:	RH full pic of blade (Small).jpg
Views:	1373
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	11232  

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2006, 08:42:32 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: A trailer full of Wheel Horse tractor

Nice Find, My Dad Has One Of Those. Pretty Good Cond. But No Acessery's. Still Has The Original Mufflers Like Yours.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:11:31 PM
Registered-II

That's a 20hp Kohler, but not sure of the model #.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:56:39 PM
lwhiway

Yea, it should make for a nice easy project to get back into usable shape.

I'll post back the numbers and specs as I find them, here on this thread.

I'll update the work on this thread as well.

LW
Old 09-10-2006, 04:24:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,116 Times in 359 Posts

The engine would be a Kohler 582 or 585 ? It's been 12 years since I worked at the dealorship and the numbers are starting to fade away on me

I do remember hydro parts were starting to get very hard to get and pay for.. Good luck! Randy Hart Ohio
Old 09-10-2006, 08:27:02 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hart
The engine would be a Kohler 582 or 585 ? It's been 12 years since I worked at the dealorship and the numbers are starting to fade away on me

I do remember hydro parts were starting to get very hard to get and pay for.. Good luck! Randy Hart Ohio
Yep, K582 if I'm not badly mistaken. Almost bet money on it. You can download a complete service manual at following link. PDF format & may take a minute or two to download. Then click "save copy" at upper left, then save to file on your computer.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinec...lsfam=K-Series
Old 09-10-2006, 08:28:59 PM
Registered-II

They have both Owner's & Service manuals there. Once there, click on "K482 thru K582".
Old 09-11-2006, 03:38:51 AM
lwhiway

Thumbs up Re: A trailer full of Wheel Horse tractor

Thanks so much for the link for the manuals. That will save a large amount of time and leg work. That much is now done.

I do wish I would have had more time to work with it this weekend, but time was at a premium and barely had enough time to unload it off the trailer well after dark Sunday night.

Thanks again for your helps.

More to follow.

LW
Old 09-11-2006, 03:34:20 PM
Registered-II

Isn't the internet such a HUGE help when it comes to info! Of course if there were no internet, I wouldn't be buying as much vintage stuff to NEED the information! Many have helped me, so I try to help others as much as possible. I'll surely need more info in the future also. Did ya check differential further yet?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:07:39 PM
michcruiser60

I'd say you done good. That will be one good work horse.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:41:50 AM
lwhiway

In my Monday morning post, after getting back to town from the country, I forgot to add that I had done a little to the Horse to at least get it to roll.

It was late, close to 10pm Sunday night when I was trying to off load it into the shop off the trailer.

Outside in the dark with a trouble light, I found the fitting on the side of the pump to unload the system that would allow the tractor to be pushed easily. Or should have.

I ended up pulling off the left rear tire/rim and loosened the nut on the adjuster link to the bell brake on the trans axle. There was a little rust between the lining and bell.

Air'd up the front tires and it rolled right off the trailer.

So, the rear end is not locked as first thought, the pump had to be unloaded to allow it to roll, so that is another good sign.

See, the list of positives are increasing all the time.

Heck, I even bought a belt buckle this morning off E-bay with the Wheel Horse logo.

Now to find a hat, jacket and a bucket of red paint and I'm set. lol

LW
Old 09-12-2006, 10:00:59 AM
Registered-II

If engine is free but has resistance or actually stops at a point, there may be carbons & such that has fallen off the head during sitting that piston is hitting. I got an Onan BF twin outta the scrapyard that did this. Took heads off & cleaned, now she's running good a a new one. Those old Kohlers are tough engines & it's on a heck of a tough tractor!. Hope she's easy to get going. If engine will go, I'd bet the tractor itself works great. Make sure to check that hydro fluid is up to level before firing engine.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:41:29 AM
lwhiway

As in all things of this nature, I'll pull the engine down and put back together with what ever it needs. Always makes things simpler in the long run.

I can bench/test run the hydro system using a variable electric motor source, so that will be an easy item to tic off the list as well.

I will be wanting to go to an electronic ignition system if it isn't already. I'm sure if the thing was manf in 74 or 75 it won't be.

LW
Old 09-21-2006, 10:28:37 AM
Registered-II

LW, just curious what you've done to D200 so far?? Look forward to seeing this beast restored!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:18:41 PM
lwhiway

The restoration for the D-200 will be starting in a few weeks, most probably the 1st weekend of November. As I have a few other projects ahead of it already in progress.

Last weekend found me trying to make it smaller and easier to move around. I took off the front wheels and added 2x2" angle legs, bolted to the front frame ends under the grill and welded f/p and mounted castoring iron wheels under that. It allows the front end to be narrowed down and to pivot Zero turn radius for shop space.

I also removed the large rear tires and rims off it's rear axles and mounted an old trans axle to the 3pt rear brackets. Using the tires and rims and old trans axle allows a narrower rear as well and gives me free rolling without the tractors normal slow allowance for pushing and pulling due to the hydraulic resistance of it's system. I should have taken pictures at the time to post, but as usual, ran out of time and that will have to wait.

The bulk of the work done so far is to break down the larger parts and pieces to allow for them to have a smaller footprint in the shop. I want to keep it all inside out of the weather and found that to be of first import.

I will post pics this weekend if I'm not too wrapped up in OT at work.

This project, especially the engine, hydraulics and rear end will be part of this site in a restorative type thread of work done.

I have, since the last post, found and purchased the necessary manuals and service documents to allow me to better know the how and what of it's systems and parts. Being a welder, machinist of sorts, sheet metal tin banger(my now trade) and hydraulic's system tech for Northrop/Grumman here in Lake Charles and with being classically raised farmboy, this won't be much of a deal in terms of the work needed, but it will be a fun project.

As I've already stated, I am just amazed each and everytime I look at it and compare it's size to all the rest of the wheeled and motorized tools here on the farm.

Thanks for asking.

LW
Old 09-21-2006, 08:20:14 PM
Registered-II

LW I have a D180 that I mow with and work around the
yard with. Great tractor the D180 is the same as yours but
18 hp. I have yet to stop the wheels or stall the engine
and I went to 15 in tires.

STAN
Old 09-22-2006, 04:34:09 PM
lwhiway

Stan, thanks for the reply. If you have any pictures of yours, all or some, pics of attachments etc., I'd really appreciate seeing them.

I forgot to add that the tractor is sitting on the forward half of a 16' trailer in the pics I've posted.

LW
Old 09-27-2006, 11:44:00 PM
lwhiway

So as to make/allow the mower to be somewhat stored until and when work will start, I needed to slim it down and make it easier to move around.

The first pic shows the use of scrap iron to make a fairly quick and easy transition.

Pic 2 shows how I've gotten around the tractors hydraulics not wanting to be pushed around. Low tech for sure. Or how I turn a Wheel Horse Tractor into a push toy. lol

LW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0050 Horse w lil wheels.JPG
Views:	918
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	11717   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0052 Horse Narrowed Rear.JPG
Views:	874
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	11718  
Old 12-04-2007, 07:43:21 PM
Registered

Hi I have bought a D200 here in England that needs a lot of TLC. It runs but leaks oil everywhere. I'm very interested t know how you are getting on with yours. I'd love a back hoe for mine but pars are very thin on the ground over here. I hope you're enjoying it.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:11:12 AM
Registered

Hello Folks..:
I just registered for this site....
I have been reading your conversation about the D200.
This looks like the place it need to be a part of...
I have a D200 that looks like it is very close to the one you are talking about.
I am planning to restore it in the future, right now it runs but it is low on trans mission fluid. I was told it used regular 10w 30 mortor oil for the transmision fluid. This just does not seem to sound right. Could any of you tell me if this is correct or if not what fluid I need.
In awhile I will get some pix of the tractor and post them for you to see...
Thanks...George...