Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

push mower lifting work stand

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 12409 times

Old 10-25-2006, 06:43:52 AM
Registered-I

Default push mower lifting work stand

Hello. I am John in Alabama. I am a disabeled 57 year old maintainance worker/ mechanic. What I am needing is ANY pics you might have of mower lifts/ work stands / work stations. My body gets down REAL good ( sometimes without my wanting to ) to the floor but trying to overcome gravity to get up seems to be a real challenge. I would like any pics that you might have so I can build me a lift for push mowers. My email is jfoerg@hotmail.com and ALL photos will be appreciated. Thanks and have a WONDERFUL DAY John
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2006, 08:39:01 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: new kid on the block

Hi John,
I don't have any photos to send you, but take a peek at some websites such as Northern Tool, J.C. Whitney, etc. I believe they have a small motorcycle/lawnmower lift (electric scissors type) that would be a real back saver.
I have the same problem...my back isn't 25 years old any more, so mechanical or hydraulic help is a Godsend. George
Old 10-25-2006, 11:54:11 AM
Registered-III

You might also try harborfreight.com. Their site has pictures of what they sell. Hope this helps, Ed
Old 10-25-2006, 01:39:39 PM
Registered-I

Thank You for your replys. IF I did it right youmight find a picture of what I have in mind. There have been some built over the years with an electric motor to even turn the blade and start the engine. John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lift2.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	12602  
Old 10-25-2006, 08:43:13 PM
Administrator

Thanked 10,579 Times in 1,778 Posts

Here's mine from Harbor Freight. Watch them and you might be able to pick this up on sale. I bought mine on sale, but then I didn't get to use it for quite a while. Now, I find that the jack has more leak down than I'd like for it to. At least it works though and it saves my back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3282w.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	12641  
Old 10-30-2006, 06:40:47 AM
Registered

I'm new here also and was looking for a lift for myself and found this candy store full of lifts,,,I want them all,,hope this link helps.
http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/...w.asp?D=1&S=21
Old 10-30-2006, 07:57:46 PM
Registered-I

THANK YOU EVERYONE. I DO appreciate your help on this. After finding an old pallet stretch wrap machine, behind a plant that I used to work for, I took pictures and measurements and notes of the vertical operation by chain, I have decided to pattern and build mine after the chain drive. I have enclosed a picture of it so you can see the verticalpart as the vertical shaft unbolts from the hoarzontal appature with 4 bolts then just some mods and there you should have a chain drive lift. I am ONLY using the design of the photo and will weld my own up. If anyone wants/needs further info please dropme a line at jfoerg@bellsouth.net I was looking for long life, ease of maintainance, and low cost to build. CCMS- the Handy lifts are very GOOD ! I owned 3 when I was working on bikes and 4 wheelers. Wish I had been wise enough to have kept one but my 30x30 at home only holds so much uh uh uh goodies John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lift 1.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	12818  
Old 11-04-2006, 09:37:13 AM
Registered-I

Hello Everyone, I am working on a mental design for a push mower lifting work stand. I have a couple of questions in my mind and I hope someone might offer alittle mental help. It will have 2x3 vertical back bone and a 30x36 mower platform. The metal runners in the platform will be 11 guage metal 12 inches wide by 36 in. long with a little 1x1 thin wall to put it all togather. Now delima one- I want to attach a #41 chain to the top of the platforn, go up to the top of the vertical backbone over a roller and down the center of the backbone. Out the bottom and around the sprocket of a small 7 in. square murray cheepie rider mower transmission ( for raise and lower gears ) and back up to the bottom of the platform. Power will come from a 1 hp. ac motor turning the transmission by belt as on a mower. #1- will the trans lift an estimated 200-250 pound platform with mower loaded on it and #2 will #41 chain be sufficent to tote the load? It will be LOW speed but strength bothers me. THANK YOU FOR YOUR THOUGHTS ! John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lift 4.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	13030   Click image for larger version

Name:	product_image.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	13031  
Old 11-04-2006, 08:21:14 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,436 Times in 3,528 Posts
Exclamation Re: your thoughts please- good or bad

The trans will lift the load, however the chain A better choice would be a 530 - used on larger motorcycles (750cc+). You may encounter a binding situation with the 2x3 backbone - it may bend with that heavy a load on it, especially near the top. How do you propose to stop the lift once power is shut off Weight on the platform may cause the trans to back down. remember, once the power is off, the armature still has inertia - when you cut off power, the lift will continue to rise, at least 3 inches or more. If it reaches the top of travel before the motor has stopped You might look into a 2 post lift situation, for more even loading, with hydraulic or pnumatic lifting cylender and pump! my 2 cents worth.
Andrew
Old 11-04-2006, 08:48:50 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: your thoughts please- good or bad

Thank You Andrew. The backing down is something I had not considered. The stopping will be done with limit switches set lower to allow wind down time. Since I am using a mower gear box it should be pretty simple to make the brakes on the trans work as an emergancy brake for holding the load in place or a few holes with a 1/2 inch bolt through the back bone. I think the 2x3 backbone will be fine as it is thick wall about 1/4 inch thick. I DO THANK YOU as I do not want it to be a hazard to me or anyone. I AM planning a two post as you mentioned after this one is completed. I will put a pic of the one I have been studying. I am starting to gather parts for the double lift now. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME ANDREW John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heftee 3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	13050  
Old 11-04-2006, 09:12:12 PM
Registered-III

John:

You may want to consider I-beam for the backbone versus the 2x3 thick wall. Just a suggestion, and of course you can go with whatever dimension you feel is prudent with the I-beam. By the way, there's a lift already out in the world called a Lil Joe. They've been around for probably 30 years or more. You can get them from almost any ForkLift place. They come in a manual, hydraulic pump version, and also an electric/hydraulic version. The electric/hydraulic version uses a 12Volt automotive starter motor, coupled to the hydraulic pump. They can lift 1200 lbs, 60", and it folds up nicely and will slide under a work bench, taking up very little floor space. Don't get me wrong, I love folks that design and fabricate their own stuff, but a Lil Joe is a kewl thing to have around the shop. Good Luck !!!

Kenn
Old 11-04-2006, 11:05:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,707 Times in 837 Posts

No matter if you use the 2X3 or I-Beam, I'd divise a system of rollers that ride the backbone. I believe that would help overcome the binding that was mentioned. I'd devise a different stop than holes drilled through and the bolt. Oh that's hold it fine, but each hole drilled removes metal from the structure....which removes some of the strength with it!!!
Just my thoughts
MoRo
Old 11-05-2006, 09:28:56 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: push mower lifting work stand

I think we are all in the same ballpark ! I have a buddy that is supposed to be bringing a 5 ft. long stick of 4x4 I beam by this week for me to play with. Whatever I end up useing, the vertical slider piece will be on rollers or bearings for easy travel. as I will be only lifting a couple of hundred pounds I think it will wotkout fine since the gear box will probably tote the load. I am going to put one heavy duty unit togather and build a few more to see how light of materials can actually be used. I did price one on the net new ( pic enclosed) and at $960 it is hard for me to justify when I can do the same thing for less that $75. THANKS ALL FOR YOUR THOUGHTS ! THEY ARE IMPORTANT TO ME! John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Garber lift.$960.00 fob.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	13067  
Old 02-04-2013, 02:40:17 AM
Registered

I know this has been a few years but was curious if we have a finished product and if so, what did it look like? Did it work as expected? I am looking to build one of my own because I can't find the features I want and for a price I am willing to pay.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:27:41 PM
Registered

No news?