Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > How to use this web site:
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

How to use this web site: Registering, passwords, navigating, subscribing and getting the most out of this web site.

How to use this web site:

Classified Ads System - HELP!

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 43676 times

Old 11-17-2006, 12:21:39 AM
Administrator

Thanked 10,533 Times in 1,770 Posts
Default Classified Ads System - HELP!

Welcome to Enginads. Link back: Enginads Classifieds.

TERMS of SERVICE: Please read our terms of service that apply to everyone using our ad system. Enginads is in no way responsible for any sales made on this website from one member to another. Always use caution when dealing with someone that you do not know. If we find out that you are misleading or cheating other members you will be banned from our system.

REGISTER: If you are new to our site, you must register and log in to fully use the ad board. We have an ABSOLUTE ZERO tolerance for abuse, spam or fraud. Registration with a valid email address is therefore required. Many people want to remain anonymous on the internet, but I assure you that your information won't be misused by us. See our Privacy Statement: https://www.smokstak.com/privacy.htm and CLICK HERE for assistance with registering.

LOG IN: You MUST be logged in on Enginads to post an ad or reply to an ad. If you are having a problem staying logged in, see these notes: CLICK HERE. If you are already a Smokstak user, your log-in user name and password is the same as on Smokstak. You will need to LOG IN separately on Enginads because it is on a different web site domain with separate cookie preferences on your computer. Make sure that your firewall is set to accept cookies from both Enginads.com and Smokstak.com. If you are reading only one ad board, be sure to click HOME to see all the other boards and get the full site listing!

NOTICE: If you have used &, #, ! or % in your password, you may not be able to log in on the classifieds. Change your password to one with letters and numbers only.

GETTING EMAIL MESSAGES: If you have an active ad, be sure to click MESSAGES occasionally to see if anything new came in. Readers can click to either send a "blind email" or a "private message" on the system. You can place your phone number or your email address openly in your ad, but beware that although this gives you more exposure, it may bring on fraudulent responses or generate spam into your mailbox. Make absolutely certain that your email address on your registration is correct and that you have your spam filter set up to allow email from the harrymatthews.net server.
Smokstak and Enginads email is received: from mail.harrymatthews.net [66.71.252.54]

READING ADS: Don't miss out on reading additional ads that are on pages 2, 3, or 4. See the attached photo of where to click to go to the next page. Or do a search to find ads by keywords.
Click image for larger version

Name:	pages.gif
Views:	878
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	24592

POSTING ADS: First, you must be registered and logged in. Then you will see the button as shown on the first attachment photo below. There are four main types of ads: For Sale, Trades, Wanted, and Auctions, each of them related to separate categories. Your ad will automatically expire based upon the number of days you choose when you post the ad. When you put your USA zip code in your ad, your buyer will instantly know how many miles are needed for the transportation of your item. On our eBay auction page, you can have a hot link to your eBay auction item number AND a hot link to your eBay user name to see your "other" auctions. (See photo #3 below.)

Name:	postad.jpg
Views:	1910
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	15343

EDITING your ad: https://www.enginads.com/image/Editing101.jpg

Please remember that this is not a link page for your web site - these are classified ads for items wanted and for sale. If you need to place a link to your item photo, that's fine, but links to home pages will be edited out unless you are a site sponsor.

AUCTIONS: Our system allows you to post your eBay auctions in a special category configured to handle our links to your auction as well as your eBay name that leads to all of your auctions. See photo attached below. Because eBay supports us for these links, your ads in this section are free of charge.

Name:	auctions.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	16514

PHOTO PROBLEMS: If your ad photos show up with a RED X, it's most likely because you tried to upload huge files from your camera. There is a TWO MEGABYTE limit on uploaded file sizes, so you will need to edit your photos to a smaller size or reset your camera to take web sized photos. Our server will usually resize your photos for you, but there comes a point when you choke the system.

SUBSCRIBING: If you are already a subscriber, you will notice that you can have more photos per ad and that you can have an email subscription to any of the boards to receive instant email notice of new ads. Subscribers can also have more active ads on the system at any one time period. CLICK HERE or click the subscribe button at the bottom of any page. Our system software favors subscribers in many ways, including displaying fewer outside advertisement links on the pages. To subscribe to the email list of new ads as they come in, you must first be a subscriber and then click the button that will appear as shown in the photo below.

Name:	subscribe.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	15344
https://www.smokstak.com/faq_smok.htm#subscriber

SPONSORING: Sponsors receive a Business Card ad on our site as well as increased privileges on Enginads and Smokstak. CLICK HERE for additional information. Sponsors receive subscriber privileges plus a few more.

DIAL-UP USERS: If you are on dial-up internet and you aren't interested in a particular ad group, click the - sign at the right hand side of the index page and that group will turn off and save loading time. To get it back, click the + sign.

CHARGES: A small commission of 1/2% (.005) (typically $5.00) is appropriate on all items sold. That is far less than sales tax or other commission based auction services and it helps us to keep this system rolling. Wanted ads are totally free and eBay ads are free. (You pay eBay enough already.)

FRAUD and SPAM: If you receive a strange email about cashier's checks, escrow and money transfers, or you suspect a problem with another user, you may want to look in on this forum: https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45 Enginads is NOT a part of any deal you make - you are on your own! However, if you report their IP number to me, they will be banned from access to this site.

Why this type of ad board? Registered users only - no spam, fraud, or monkey business allowed. Automatic resizing of photos. Up to six photos instead of one. Automatic deletion of ads after item is marked sold, or timed out based upon the number of days you set. Single registration system. Automated system to get your password when you forget it. Modern php/mySQL software control. More efficient ad layout including the ability to move ads from one board to another. User can EDIT, mark SOLD or DELETE ads. eBay auction links fully automated including link to all of seller's auctions. Read ads for one day or a week and sort them the way you want them. Watch one category or more and turn off what you don't want. Ad watch list just like eBay. Search by keywords. Feedback and Comment system. USA Zip codes provide the buyer with the shipping distance. Automated email subscription system for subscribers. When I remember more stuff, I'll add it here. What more do we need? I suppose that I should have hyped all this stuff first before making the change, but I don't have a marketing department. What you see is what you get. Last, but not least, IT MAKES MY JOB EASIER and I hope that says it all.

MORE: I will edit or add to this post as information develops. The original thread that started the new classified ad board has been moved. CLICK HERE for more help and information about this web site.

-- Harry
Old 10-16-2007, 09:52:01 PM
Administrator

Default HOW TO UPLOAD a PHOTO AD on the Classifieds

First, check this thread and make certain that your computer is properly configured.
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19543

Be logged in on Enginads.com and click PLACE AN AD. Select FOR SALE - AUCTION - WANTED or TRADE and Submit. Select the AD board that you want your ad on and click Submit.

Then fill in the blanks and follow the 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 instructions in this graphic:

Remember that your photos cannot be larger than 2MB file size.
Reduce them to 800 X 800 or less.

NOTICE: If you have used &, #, ! or % in your password, you may not be able to log in on the classifieds. Change your password to one with letters and numbers only.

For Additional HELP on the classified ads:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33676
Old 02-09-2012, 01:06:20 PM
Administrator

Default Advertising Policy

Since the beginning of Enginads, most users put up an ad, the item is sold and the ad goes down. As time passed and our ads became popular, we have gotten more users with a lot of stuff to sell. Rather than allow any one user to overpopulate the board, I had placed internal limits on the number of active ads that anyone could have on at one time. Now, it appears that these limits must be published so as to allow you to plan your ads more efficiently.

Subscribers: 20
Card Sponsor: 30
Banner Sponsor: 40
Site Sponsor: 50

REMEMBER: ONE AD PER ITEM. Repeated ads of the same item come under the category of spam. Don't do it. We are simply attempting to provide a good service here that, hopefully, will not be abused. Advertisers of currently manufactured items must be sponsors!

Outside advertising by Google Ads. These spots are available to anyone who applies to Google for ad space. I limit the types of ads to maintain compatibility with our site theme. Sponsors and Subscribers have these ads blocked off. If you are a sponsor or subscriber, log out and then you will see them.

Where to subscribe and/or where to pay for ads? https://www.smokstak.com/faq_smok.htm#subscriber
Old 11-05-2015, 10:23:45 AM
Subscriber

Default Rating a classified ad transaction

How do I go about rating a seller/transaction on EngineAds?
Also is it possible to find an old ad once the item is listed as Sold and the ad has been taken off the board?

Thanks

gamefarmone
Old 11-05-2015, 10:43:56 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Rating a transaction

Click on their ad and at the top go to profile and add your coments
Old 11-05-2015, 01:28:44 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Rating a transaction

Steve, thanks for the reply.
I've looked at the seller profiles for ratings when I was interested in purchasing something that a member had for sale, just to make sure that the person was decent to deal with.
I guess my problem is finding a place to leave good feedback After I've purchased something, and the ad has already been removed.
Unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to leave feedback unless the seller has another ad still on the board?
I recently bought a small engine from an ad, and the seller was great to deal with, but no longer has any ads up.
Is there any way to leave feedback on his member profile site on Smokstak that I'm just not seeing?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2015, 02:39:59 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Rating a classified ad transaction

At the top of the engine ads go to member list look them up click on them then to profile.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:49:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,497 Times in 2,297 Posts
Default Re: Rating a classified ad transaction

Or remember his name and then put the gratitude or kudos on have done that before..