Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Big Gaar Scott spotted

this thread has 92 replies and has been viewed 14472 times

Old 08-25-2008, 11:05:54 AM
Registered-II

Default Big Gaar Scott spotted

I was heading west on I-94 Saturday morning, and I saw this engine on a lowboy heading east. We crossed paths just east of Valley City, ND at about 8:30 AM. I thought my eyes were decieving me at first, but I don't think so...

Rumor has it around this part of the world that the last stop is North Carolina.

Cody
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2008, 11:15:35 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,965 Times in 600 Posts
Default Re: Big Gaar Scott spotted

Cody,

I was wondering how soon it would be before someone posted...I won't say who the knew owner is...but it isn't going to North Carolina...but it is going to a well known and respected collector that will make her run again...I'm certain of that. A few of us heard about the engine yesterday and the news spread through the show grounds like wild fire! The new owner was surprised by all that stopped by and congradulated him on his purchase...myself included.

I'm planning to make a small road trip to go see it at its new home...

Lawrence
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaarScott For This Post:
Old 08-25-2008, 11:35:36 AM
Registered-II

That is good to hear. I would love to see that machine in running order. I am also glad that not every rumor I hear is true.

Thanks,
Cody
Old 08-25-2008, 11:57:23 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,067 Times in 715 Posts

In North Carolina, the maximum allowable pressure for this engine would be 100 psi, so it will be better off in a state where it can be operated at a higher pressure.

David
Old 08-25-2008, 12:13:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,985 Times in 365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaarScott View Post
I won't say who the new owner is...but it isn't going to North Carolina...but it is going to a well known and respected collector that will make her run again...I'm certain of that.
Lawrence,

I respect your desire to keep the new owner private at this time. Can you let us know if it going to remain west of the Mississippi or is it heading east of the big muddy?

I am glad the old girl is going to get the attention she deserves.

Dan
Old 08-25-2008, 12:46:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,965 Times in 600 Posts

Dan,

If I give too many clues I might as well just spill the beans. But out of respect for the new owner, I'd like him to have the satisfaction of making that announcement...but with a purchase of this magnitude, the identity won't stay secret for long...rest assured. Like I said, a well respected and all around great guy...it has a good home and I'm sure others will agree once the new owner makes the announcement.

Lawrence
Old 08-25-2008, 01:08:10 PM
Registered-I

The first picture didn't show on my screen. Can somebody post a picture?

Martin
Old 08-25-2008, 01:09:42 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,430 Times in 79 Posts

Well I guess the word is getting out that I am the new owner of Tyler Ranch's "Big 40 Gaar Scott". I first heard the engine might be for sale in March went to take a look in April, made my offer in May which was accepted in July. Eileen and I drove all night to be a part of the loading on Friday morning. We unloaded the engine in Forest City, IA Saturday afternoon. You have see the engine from the Heritage Park Web Cam.

Plan is to have the engine restored in time for Heritage Park's September 2009 show.

Will post some pictures of the loading/unloading later.

Jerred
Old 08-25-2008, 01:32:56 PM
Subscriber

well it sounds like is staying in the states witch is good to read. Hope that i get to see it run one day. its good to see that it will be put back in to running order and given a good home.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:31:19 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,117 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerred Ruble View Post
Well I guess the word is getting out that I am the new owner of Tyler Ranch's "Big 40 Gaar Scott". I first heard the engine might be for sale in March went to take a look in April, made my offer in May which was acceted in July. Eileen and I drove all night to be a part of the loading on Friday morning. We unloaded the engine in Forest City, IA Saturday afternoon. You have see the engine from the Heritage Park Web Cam.

Plan is to have the engine restored in time for Heritage Park's September 2009 show.

Will post some pictures of the loading/unloading later.

Jerred
Jerred,
Congratulations on your purchase. I'd not heard from Mike or Paul, but Lawrence let me know yesterday. I rode on that engine in September 1956, the last time she was under steam. While I hate to see the big engines leaving Montana, I'd like to think I might make it back to one of your shows and get to see her under steam again. It wasn't going to run again where it was setting.

This was that engine that day in 1956. That's Max beside the driver wheel in the polka dot cap. Walter Mehmke was the engineer on the platform Gary

Last edited by 20 Reeves Highwheeler; 08-25-2008 at 03:18:08 PM. Reason: Miss spelld werd
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post: