Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Another Newbie Here from Westminster, MD

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1561 times

Old 09-23-2009, 05:14:18 PM
Registered-I

Default Another Newbie Here from Westminster, MD

I'm looking to purchase my first hit and miss engine to run my old corn sheller. I would greatly appreciate some help in choosing an engine and any other help available.

It's all new to me.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 06:11:48 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Another Newbie Here

Try to find something complete and running. A non-running engine may seem less expensive but will cost you more in the long run. Be patient. Get to know the engines and prices a little. I have made good and bad purchases and sometimes it is an expensive learning experience. If you stick to the more common engines parts are easier and cheaper to get. Fairbanks-Morse is the most common manufacturer with many others also very plentiful. Keep us posted. The guys (and ladies) on this site are very helpful. If I can be of nay help do not hesitate to ask. You are on the other side of the state but I get up there every so often. If you get ot the eastern shore feel free to stop by. I can show you alot of examples of bad purchases (and a few good ones).
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Miley For This Post:
Old 09-23-2009, 08:14:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,329 Times in 807 Posts

The above reply was as about as good as it can get. Good, info. Purchase an anlmost running engine for your project and learn from it. A piece of an engine is quite costly to complete. Since you don't have your grampa's old engine, missing some parts, as nostalgic concern, stick to the running engine such as Fairbanks, Hercules, or others. You'll learn alot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 09-23-2009, 10:31:48 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,674 Times in 3,028 Posts
Exclamation Re: Another Newbie Here

You might start out with either a salt block style F-M, Z style D, or an IHC LA or LB 11/2 HP. Relatively cheap (under $400 for the most part, reliable runners, and fairly light to move, they are a good beginners engine. from there you can trade up to a larger engine, IHC M, Hercules/economy, F-M Z, are a few of the more sensable priced and likeable engines. After that, you might go to a waterloo style - Associated, United, Waterloo itself, Galloway, etc. The further you go from the mainstream, easy to find engines, the higher the price, and the more costly to restore/repair.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 09-24-2009, 06:03:06 AM
Registered-I

Thanks for the information! I do visit the Grasonville area frequently and appreciate the help.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:07:24 PM
Registered-I

Are economy engines a good choice?? I'm still looking and learning.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:19:43 PM
Registered-I

Hello Jeff!

Have you found any bargins?? I'm still watching E-bay and can't beleive some of the prices. Almost purchased a nice Maytag, but someone out bid me again.

Gary
Hampstead, MD
Old 03-21-2010, 12:28:34 AM
Registered-II

Talking Re: Another Newbie Here from Westminster, MD

hey if your still looking for a good maytag i got one i just finished