Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Greetings from Ellenville New York

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 11448 times

Old 01-22-2010, 04:06:59 PM
Registered-II

Default Greetings from Ellenville New York

I'm into:

Gravely's - both walk-behind and 4 wheel
Cletracs - have a pair of AG-6 crawlers - one restoration nearing completion, the other a working machine
Ford 8N - with Wagner FEL and Sherman Power Digger

Goulds Well Pumps
- CID 50, and a pair of CID 35
Jacobsen - Garden Tractor 1968 Chief 1000

Sears Suburban - SS12

Great info out here, and great group of people!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 04:14:40 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Greetings from Ellenville NY

Here's a photo of my Goulds CID 35 pump if you were curious...

I restored this one a few years ago, and have another identical model with original paint, motor, belt and pressure control valve - if it saw any use it sure wasn't much. Still has the original paper hang tag on it.

I use a CID 50 pump with a B&S gas engine to pump water 400' uphill from a stream to the vegetable garden. It's at least 70 years old and still going strong.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:23:41 PM
Registered-II

I like to preserve and use my 'Old Iron', but occasionally I give in to the urge to restore a tractor.

This is a 1962 Gravely Model LI that I bought and restored in 2007. The day I finished, I put it right back to use digging footings for a deck. It was meant to work, and I hope it will continue to do that for another 45 years.

That's a rotary plow gearbox on the front. I used a planting bar and plow blades to dig the footings.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:39:12 PM
Registered-II

Photo Re: Greetings from Ellenville NY

Here's a recent photo of my working AG-6 - out to play in the snow.

Here's the chassis of the AG-6 in restoration. It had many coats and colors of paint.

Here are some of the pieces of sheetmetal refinished in Cletrac Orange.

The restoration is moving again after a long break. Engine is running and ready to go back in. Mechanical work and repairs are all done. After the chassis is painted, re-assembly begins.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:20:19 PM
Registered-II

Here's the 1952 Ford 8N I bought 20+ years ago - it had a then-fresh coat of OSHA yellow paint slapped on with a brush by the former owner - guess he didn't have time to finish the backhoe. I have done just what was necessary to keep it running, including returning it to the original 6V electrical system. I'd never seen one with the diamond-tread pattern on the footrests worn smooth, so this machine probably has a huge number of hours on it. The engine was replaced at some point in its life.

The attachments are:
Wagner Front End Loader,
Sherman Power Digger backhoe.

A beast of a workhorse, it has been indispensible around the farm - doing roadwork, digging drainage, and even cherry picking - as we are doing here.

It is a challenge to back it into the garage with a 6'-4" overhead garage door opening. The backhoe has to be extended all the way back, with the bucket dragging the floor to clear the door header. It's about 28' long with the backhoe extended out - and the garage is 28' deep, so I have to fold up the backhoe a little to close the door. And don't forget to lower the FEL too!

Old 01-22-2010, 05:30:04 PM
Registered-II

I did a 'rolling restoration' on this 1975 Bronco when I bought it in 1987. Mostly mechanical and brake work - the body is mostly original (including paint) - except for the floor, door pillars and tailgate which are the first to go.

I've been asked about the tire on the back - it is hanging on the trailer hitch as a "bumper" so the ATV that is parked behind the Bronco doesn't mess up the tailgate or the hitch doesn't mess up the ATV...

The little 1971 Sears covered trailer was then painted to match.

The Following User Says Thank You to jepics For This Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 05:51:45 PM
Registered-II

The 1946 Cletrac AG-6 I am restoring needed an engine - the old one had a bad knock. When I got the tractor, the engine in it was a Willys Super Hurricane flathead (L-head) 6 cylinder engine. Continental made the F6-226 Willys engine as well as the industrial version F226 that was original to my Cletrac. They bolt up the same, but internally the automotive version has a timing chain, where the industrial version has timing gears.

Here's the "new" engine - still in the running chassis of a 1961 Willys Wrecker, and identical to the one that was in the Cletrac.

Here's the engine block removed from the Willys chassis, disassembled and cleaned inside & out. Note the freezeout plugs are out - they were completely rusted through. As shown, this engine block weighs about 555 lbs.

And here is the same engine - now running and all set up to go into the Cletrac. It is bolted to a wooden dolly for ease of transport. Weight with the accessories attached is now approaching 800 lbs.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:10:22 PM
Registered-II

Here are the workhorse Gravely 2-wheeled tractors from the mid to late 1960's. I have a dozen or so attachments for these that also fit the Model LI.

The one with the snowblower is a Commercial 10A. The 10A is a couple of years newer than the Commercial 10 with the snow / dozer blade.

Basic differences are:

Ground speed is a bit faster than needed for gardening
Has an external 12v starter/generator and voltage regulator

10A
Ground speed is slower than the 10
Has a flywheel generator (stator) with rectifier to change AC to DC
Has larger tires

Old 01-22-2010, 07:04:12 PM
Registered-II

The "little" toys are Gravely 408 lawn tractors. They are a solidly built reliable machine known for their beautifully smooth cut of a lawn - the design of the 34" mower deck with scissors suspension and rollers at the back guarantees the nicest finish you can get. No one makes them like this any more.

This one is a 1973, made just after Gravely changed the paint scheme from "All White" to Red & White, to match the rest of their line-up at that time.

The seat, battery cover and shift gate were removed for cleaning. It is a nice unrestored example.

Below is a 1974 408. It was the first to follow me home (in 2006), and needed a lot of work. It had been repainted, and the hood was peeling badly. The starter was removed (that's it on the rear fender) and needed repair, the head gasket was blown, and the cast aluminum grille was a bashed-in mess, and missing the hinges at the bottom to hold it level and allow it to open. That grille & hood is now functional and presentable, and on the parts tractor, but needs a decal to look "right".

Next are the triplets... the one in front is the 1974. It is my "daily driver" and just finished mowing the lawn when this photo of the triplets was taken.

In the middle is the one pictured at the top of this post.

In the back is one I picked up as a parts tractor. It now is nearly complete and runs well. All 3 have mower decks, no other attachments. All three decks are solid - no rust through. The decks weigh 105 lbs - each!!

I am currently rebuilding a transaxle for the 1974 - the prior owner left the tractor out in the rain the summer he sold it. When I got it home and checked the transaxle oil level, I found water had seeped down the shift lever and past the tear in the rubber boot. Water is not transaxle friendly... I drained and refilled with proper oil, and it is still functioning okay 4 years later, but the axle seals and some bearings need replacing.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:11:50 PM
Registered-II

One more word on the Gravely 408 lawn tractor - this is a great Yahoo group for the 408's. Every bit of information you'd ever want to know is there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gravely408/
Old 01-22-2010, 07:20:24 PM
Registered-II

Last post for today

Lest it be forgotten, there is also this Sears Suburban SS12 tractor in my collection:

It's a true heavy duty garden tractor, not like the current Craftsman "stuff". These were really built well. 12 hp Tecumseh engine runs nice.

The only attachment I have is a snowplow. If I had a mower deck for it, it would be useful to me. If I can't find a deck, the tractor will be for sale. If you have a deck or are interested in the tractor, send me a PM.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:48:44 PM
Registered-III

Nice collection, I'm jealous of all the toys!

Damon
The Following User Says Thank You to L3391 For This Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 11:30:45 PM
Registered-II

Damon, Thanks for your comments. I never planned to accumulate so much, but the farm required certain equipment to manage terrain, roads and water - both supply and drainage. A lot of it was driven by a limited budget, and increasing needs. If I could have afforded a big newer John Deere crawler, like some of my buddies, I would never have had the opportunity to play with something like a Cletrac. I've never shied away from a DIY challenge, and there have been many with the old equipment - but that's half the fun; and look at how much more I learned this way. Education is expensive, but worth it!

As I was putting this info up on the site, I hadn't thought about adding up all the work that went into each piece of equipment. All of it was accumulated over time - starting about 1987.

I also haven't thought much about all the pieces of equipment I DIDN'T bring home...

Because the equipment shed doesn't have electricity, I added a small solar system to provide light, and an old service truck compressor (Seylor Beale 2 stage compressor powered by a Kohler 10hp engine) to provide power for the air tools. Of course, that needed "some work" too.

I also use a generator if I need serious electric, but I hate the noise.

I will have a whole lot more to report when I try to install the engine in the crawler this spring. The dirt/gravel floor in the shed isn't the most friendly surface to roll an engine hoist across... I may need to change out the small casters for something (???) else. It will take a lot more finesse to align it for install than it did to remove.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jepics For This Post:
Old 01-23-2010, 01:58:40 PM
Registered-III

Well good luck to you getting the engine installed when the time comes! It will be very rewarding when that's accomplished.

The main reason I joined this site was because of a welder I 'inherited.' It's an old Miller welder driven by a Wisconsin engine. I have the engine running now, but the welder/generator isn't making electricity yet.

Like you, I've accumulated lots of stuff. My pride and joy is a 1948 American LaFrance aerial truck with an 85' steel ladder. I'm working on restoring it, and it's taking a lot of work. I'm always on the prowl for more parts and information, as evidenced by the three parts trucks I have in addition to the project.

1. 1947 American LaFrance aerial truck with a 100' steel ladder.

2. 1950 American LaFrance pumper... 1,000 gallon per minute capacity fire pump.

3. 1947 American LaFrance quad... 750 gallon per minute fire pump.

My internet provider recently revamped the web hosting they offer, so all of the photos I had uploaded of my truck are gone. When I get them uploaded again, I'm going to post photos of all of my rigs.

Damon
Old 01-24-2010, 10:13:45 AM
Registered-III

If you'd like to read a little on my fire truck project, check out this link:

http://www.alfowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142

There are also several pictures to browse.

Damon
Old 10-12-2010, 04:03:38 PM
Registered-II

I've had to pare down the collection a bit due to a sudden health issue my wife had - I devoted my time this year to taking care of her instead of the equipment. Thankfully she has recovered well.

My Bronco went to a new owner during the summer (after 22 years with me). That allowed me to park the 2 Cletrac AG-6 crawlers side by side in the equipment shed. Other than getting the engine running New Years' Day, I didn't get any other work done on the Cletrac restoration this year. Will try again next year.

I sold the Sears Suburban - to concentrate on the Gravely's - and I just picked up another Commercial 10A walkbehind - a 1972 that needs a little work before it'll run.

I finally found a replacement Kohler K241 for my 1968 Gravely Commercial 10 - it has a special crank only made for that one year and model, and doesn't interchange with ANYTHING else. That machine has been waiting 7 years to run again. It will be a good winter project to bring it back to life.

I completed the transaxle rebuild on the Gravely 408, and fully documented the process for the Gravely408 Yahoo Group.

The 408 is running great now - it rolls easily again & no more leaks! I replaced axle bushings & seals and one bearing that was bad. Cleaned inside & freshly painted outside - ready for another 36 years of use.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:18:47 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Greetings from Ellenville New York

A lot has happened since I last posted in early October 2010 (so much for downsizing the fleet...)

Shortly after that update, I picked up a snow plow and a new set of tire chains for the Gravely 408, and that provided a lot of fun and satisfaction in all the snow we had during the winter. The rebuilt transaxle held up great - it had quite a workout, and no leaks!

Then a Gravely 812 that needed some serious help came into the fleet just before Thanksgiving - it came with a 50" belly mower and a 4' plow. About 10 days later, a Gravely 18-G that needed a carburetor repair came in. Then I started searching for a 38" snowblower that would fit either tractor, and picked that up in mid December. I worked on the tractors during the winter and got them both cleaned up and running well. In early March, I finally pieced together all the equipment needed to connect the snowblower t othe tractor (PTO drive shaft, double universal joint, lift rods and front mounting brackets), and got it all working together. All that's left is to find a little snow to test it. The 18-G has a hydraulic lift, which works great - I have gotten used to leaky hydraulics on the older equipment - not a problem here.

The new engine is in the 1966 Commercial 10, but it needs some work to complete the re-assembly - gas tank, fuel lines, electrical harness, etc.

With the nice weather this week, I did a little spring cleaning, and took a couple of photos of the fleet.
Attached Thumbnails
Gravely Fleet 004cc.jpg   Gravely Fleet -03-19-11 005c.jpg  
Old 04-27-2011, 05:53:27 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepics View Post
Last post for today

Lest it be forgotten, there is also this Sears Suburban SS12 tractor in my collection:

It's a true heavy duty garden tractor, not like the current Craftsman "stuff". These were really built well. 12 hp Tecumseh engine runs nice.

The only attachment I have is a snowplow. If I had a mower deck for it, it would be useful to me. If I can't find a deck, the tractor will be for sale. If you have a deck or are interested in the tractor, send me a PM.

Would you sell the gas tank? If so how much?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:04:11 PM
Registered-II

Sorry - as reported 10/12/2010, I sold the Sears SS12, so no gas tank available. I recently found the control rods for the plow.