Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment > Dozers and Crawlers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Dozers and Crawlers Holt, Caterpillar, Cletrac, etc.

Dozers and Crawlers

D2 Caterpillar dozer

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 9782 times

Old 01-25-2010, 01:23:19 PM
Registered-II

Default D2 Caterpillar dozer

Before I head to work I wanted to post some pics of my D2. This is one that Dad completely restored about 7 or 8 years ago. The only issue right now is the paint. He always griped about the paint chipping and being problematic and I think he talked about using a dual-stage Cat yellow that he got from......well, I'm thinking out loud and I don't remember where he got the paint from. Anyway, the paint did offer a lot of problems.

The plan this spring and summer is to prep her for another paint job. Although I can paint tractors (far better than cars) my brother is far better at it, so he and I will prep her and I'll have him shoot it with some primer and Cat yellow coats.

Her s/n is 5U-11968. I have the boys at ACMOC working on year of manufacture for me, but Eddie with Stak has a s/n reference (I'm going to try to get my hands on one of these). Eddie, if you read this post would you mind helping me with a YOM on the D2?

Electric start pony motor. Both motors run great. You will also note the large dozer blade. Dad purchased an old D4, of which was recently sold to a collector in a nearby town, and put the blade from the D4 on the D2. The blade is big and bulky, but certainly gets the job done. The old D2 blade is sitting out back on the property. The debate right now is whether to put the original blade back on her.

Anyway, hope you folks enjoy. It has been a pleasure chatting with all of you. I'm glad I found Stak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00896.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	72279   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00897.JPG
Views:	608
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	72280   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00901.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	72281   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00906.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	72282  

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caterpillarcrazy For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2010, 05:28:57 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: D2 Caterpillar dozer

Looking at your pretty little D2 brought back a few memories and a laugh.

About 20 years ago, I restored a D2 like yours and was talking with an older gentleman that used to run one.

He asked if I had put a heat shield on the back side of the muffler. I told him that I had not and then asked him "why do I need a heat shield on the back side of the muffler"?

He laughed and said "you'll find out the first time that short tracked son of a !@#$ bucks you out over the hood and the only thing you will be able to reach for is a red hot muffler"

We both laughed as he went through the motions showing me how it happened to him and what I would assume had been more than once.

Take care and thank you for the pictures.

-Mark
Old 01-25-2010, 05:39:43 PM
Registered-III

i note that it was a toolbar tractor at one time, then someone put a old cable blade on and used the toolbar cylinders to it. you'll wreck that tractor with that big blade on it.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59:19 PM
Registered-II

The big blade is a concern of mine, and has been since Dad put it on. He never did low-rate work and always had justification for what he did, so I'm not entirely sure why he did so. As mentioned before, it certainly gets the job done but it is a heavy blade. The old blade is sitting out back of the property, and looks to be in pretty good shape. I think I'll swap it out when I repaint her this spring/summer. That way she'll be more original as well.

Mark, I hear you brother. And it doesn't take much of a bump/ridge to make that little bi%$& buck. My boy and I (he's 8 and knows more about tractors than I do) were moving some snow with it the other day. He was sitting in my lap running the levers while I was controlling the steering brakes. Right before we hit a ridge I told him to hang on, otherwise she would buck us off.

To make a long story short, my boy looked at me after we shut the little D2 down and said, "Dad, I think I would rather ride on the D8." After asking him why, and I knew that the D2 bucking incident spooked him, he said, "Cuz if that thing throws us off about the only thing we would have to grap on to would be the stack, then we would burn our hands."
Old 01-25-2010, 08:18:50 PM
Registered-III

show a pic of the other blade with push beams before you put on, it may not be cat. are there any rear tools with bars out back too??? cat rear tools and bars are real hard to find.
good luck
Old 01-25-2010, 08:27:49 PM
Registered-III

oh yea, you can date d2's and d4's at this antique cat site by using its registry.
http://www.antiquecaterpillar.net/AC...ad.php?t=16930
again,
good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to mschreiber For This Post:
Old 01-25-2010, 08:50:04 PM
Email Not Working

Thanked 1,960 Times in 695 Posts

That's a very smart little D2. The only thing wrong with it from my point of view is that it runs on the wrong fuel (diesel) . My Cat 22 has a healthy appetite for TVO (kerosene) which is my preferred fuel for tractors

Tricky Dickie
Old 01-25-2010, 11:30:42 PM
Registered-II

Hi Caterpillar crazy,
my book shows it to be the seventh unit built for 1953.
Hope you and your lad keep enjoying the Cats for evermore.
I worked for the local Cat Dealer for 43 years in all areas of repairs, last 15 years as Senior Mechanic/Troubleshooter, I miss it now I'm retired.
Cheers,
Eddie B.
The Following User Says Thank You to eddie bedwell For This Post:
Old 01-26-2010, 01:44:43 AM
Registered-II

Eddie,

Once again, my friend, I appreciate your help. Good information to know, and history of these machines is always fascinating. If they could tell a story, I could sit and listen for days. Speaking of stories, I wish the two of us could sit down and chat. Your experiences could keep me occupied for weeks.

Mr. Schreiber, I'll get you some pics of the blade. I'll be back up where I have the equipment stored this coming weekend.

Tricky, . In a previous post I mentioned that a buddy of mine stores his Cat 20 on my place. I believe that the two of you share the same love for kerosene. Actually, I offered to buy the 20 from the old bugger. However, he seems to think that he wants to finish the restoration. It's been up there for the better part of 10 years, untouched (and taking up part of my shop space). He also has an old 22, at least I'm pretty sure that's what it is, up there. The problem with the 22.....it's in pieces and scattered all over hell and creation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caterpillarcrazy For This Post:
Old 01-26-2010, 10:45:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,237 Times in 891 Posts

That's why they sometimes refer to that as a jigsaw puzzle! I like the D2. Blade choice is your call, as it looks pretty small under that one but it's what was on it when your dad had it, and sometimes that can be something of a siren song when restoring it. Either way keep us posted on progress when you paint it.