Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Hello from the Philippines

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1314 times

Old 02-06-2010, 08:30:45 AM
Registered

Default Hello from the Philippines

Hi there.

I am an Englishman living in the Philippines for the last 4 years.

Back in the UK I had a number of stationary engines, (Amanco, Petter etc) plus a couple of trucks, (Austin K9 and Thames ET6). I have always had an interest in anything dirty, smelly and oily, probably explains being a mechanical engineer by trade.

Over here there is very little old iron apart from the American trucks, a lot of which date from the war and Japanese heavies from the 50's onwards. There are some Isuzu's and Mitsubishishi's that seem untraceable on the net. I see a couple of georgeous MMC bonneted prime movers on a regular basis but have no idea what model they are.

There is no, and probably never has been any steam over here. I am hoping in the future to have time and money to build a traction engine, (full size) just to blow everyones mind!

My wife and I have a 9acre smallholding on the island of Bantayan with our 8 month old daughter. A truly great life out here !!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2010, 10:05:16 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Hello from the Philippines

Keith, ahh there is a god and he loves us lovers of old iron! I am in the process of building a house in Bolo, Masbate. As this is a fishing village I am reliably informed that there are old single cylinder engines laying around but I will have to pay scrap value (heaven)! Around the corner from my/our house, (you know how it is in PI) there is a blacksmith. would you believe his blower for the forge is a long square box? he doesn't speak much English but does enjoy a beer so I feel that he will teach me some of the really basic skills I need and who knows maybe I can assist him to expand his potential.Norm
Old 02-06-2010, 11:00:23 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,193 Times in 304 Posts

Keith and Norm, Now this is not a good day to be talking Islands, bikinis, sun tan, cold beers and so on as we are ass deep in snow up in the northeastern part of North America. But when you find a good engine feel free to shoot me a email. Always looking here.
Welcome aboard and have some fun doing it.
KK
BIGFLYWHEEL@AOL.COM
Old 02-06-2010, 11:17:14 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,829 Times in 835 Posts

Keith,
When I was making a port call at Subic in 1974, I managed to get a ride on a narrow gauge Shay locomotive working on a sugar cane plantation. At one time, steam was plentiful there, and bagasse ( expended dried sugar cane ) was a cheap fuel, which is why rail and stationary steam remained in service so long. I wouldn't be surprised if it all may have been scrapped and gone to China or India by now. Great hearing from you and welcome to Smokstak.