Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment > Dozers and Crawlers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Dozers and Crawlers Holt, Caterpillar, Cletrac, etc.

Dozers and Crawlers

Cat help

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2044 times

Old 08-12-2010, 04:49:35 PM
Registered-II

Default Cat help

I have a couple 15 cats that are on the schedule. I have been looking for the missing/needed parts for a couple years. last fall i got a fan and pump and this spring found a rough radiator, then a couple months later found a perfect one for a 5th of the price . I am still looking for a carb for the tractor i want to keep. from what little research i have done i guess they are pretty hard to come by. I know where 2 are and i refuse to give what they are asking.

so has anybody replaced the origional Ensign overhead bowl carb with anything else? Im sure with a little help from an "a-daptor" i can make a conventional bowl work but i was kinda hoping somebody knew of somthing that would work. I have more than enough to build one, but would like to leave the other one alone and running for trading material. any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0106.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	84855  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2010, 07:40:48 PM
Card Sponsor

Thanked 1,200 Times in 243 Posts
Default Re: Cat help

I had a friend that had a ten that had problems with his carb being the pot metal desighn and was exspendsive to work on, i always thought bout trying to use a harley carb on one and making an adapter theirs very limited carbs that are the same side draft design but i belive that a harley carb would work
The Following User Says Thank You to Reeves13hp For This Post:
Old 08-12-2010, 11:37:01 PM
Subscriber

We had very good luck putting schebler updraft carbs off of Oliver 80s on fifteens. They seem to be sized right for the engine but you need to make an adapter with an elbow as they are not sidedraft. Just depends on how much of a purist you are in regards to originality.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gene Williams For This Post:
Old 08-13-2010, 08:09:23 AM
Registered-II

Thanks for the help guys, dont missunderstand me, I would much prefer to keep things origional, but im not above hiding an o-ring or making a gasket to go where there wasnt one from the factory. when it comes time, If the right carb is avaliable at a reasonable cost, I will use it, if not, I guess i will have to utilize an a-daptor.

btw now, dont everybody jump in at one time and say they have a spare carb sitting on the shelf they dont need
Old 08-13-2010, 10:20:46 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,020 Times in 2,235 Posts

Hey Ratman,
What kind of carb do they use? Brand, model number, etc? I'll keep my eyes peeled for one if'n you tell me what to look for.
Mike
Old 08-13-2010, 11:17:31 AM
Registered-II

Mike,
Ensign BET, I dont know what else the were used on, with my luck, nothing. I copied some pics from the one that has been on ebay for 6months or so.

how is the K coming? not spending too much good rumely time on wood and coal burners are you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat15carb2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	84951  
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to steelwheelrat For This Post:
Old 08-13-2010, 01:24:51 PM
Registered-III

K is kinda stuck on dead-center for a couple of reasons....first and foremost being my buddy that is going to pour the babbit for me can't get off of dead center and get it done for me....second is that it's too dad-blasted hot to do much of ANYTHING! Oh yeah...and spending most of my time on coal and wood burners, too!
Mike
Old 08-13-2010, 08:49:52 PM
Registered-II

Hi Team,
over on either the ACME or ACMOC site (Antique Caterpillar Machinery Enthusiasts)(Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club) one of the blokes there made a new top for his Cat10/15 carby. Its not 100% original looking but is close enough that only an "eggspurt" would know. Depends how much time one wants to spend at the milling machine or with a file etc. trimming the edges up.
Cheers,
Eddie B.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:20:30 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwheelrat View Post
Mike,
Ensign BET, I dont know what else the were used on, with my luck, nothing. I copied some pics from the one that has been on ebay for 6months or so.

how is the K coming? not spending too much good rumely time on wood and coal burners are you?
Ratman,
Probably doesn't help you much, but that looks a HELLUVA lot like the carb on an early GP JD....they're real expensive, too!

Mike
Old 08-16-2010, 12:29:17 PM
Registered-II

there appears to be some flange difference and the JD's are brass. the cat is what most people call "pot metal". I dont know how much flange difference there is other than the jd has a 2 hole on the air cleaner end and the cat has 4 holes.